Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-10-2013, 08:12 AM   #1

Full time living with family of five question

Need some help deciding what to purchase for full time living (3-4 yrs) with 2 adults and 3 kiddos (3, 5, & 8). We are an active duty military family and love the idea of traveling base to base (or travelling around and exploring areas around the bases) in an rv but really love the space and layout of a fifth wheel especially if that's our year round home. Is there any other type of RV that may meet our needs better? Any help with class and brand would be awesome! Thanks!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-10-2013, 09:07 AM   #2

I know couple people who are doing this, could put you in contact with them, one just bought a new rig to accommodate "the changes". I might have suggestions about the rig. Lot's to talk about, probably easier on the phone, send me a PM.

hjs

Old 06-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #3

We have been fulltiming with three kids for a year now. We went with a fifth wheel mainly for room and the ability of them being able to go to bed and us still being able to stay up and watch some tv or something, since they have there own room. They have there own bathroom also. I think a MH would be better if we were traveling a whole lot or just going somewhere on the weekend and wanted to get there and back and stay a night or two. We have looked at ever option available. We went with the Cedar Creek 36b4. We felt it was the best production 2 bedroom 1 1/2 bath fifth wheel out there. We looked at a used Teton 2 bedroom but it did't have the same amount of room, or a bath and a half, we went to Space Craft and New Horizon and we didn't see enough difference to justify the price difference. We are all ways looking. We have found a 2 year old Elite Suites-Manhattan that hasn't been used hardly thats a great deal but I am a little gun shy on it from other people I have met that has had some major problems with there DRVs. Forks RV I came across about a year ago and have been thinking about having them build us a big 53' but that changes the game totally, as far as how we travel and were we can stay. This is our second RV we had a American Heritage MH, the fifth wheel has been extremely cheap when it comes to $ and cents. The purchase is cheaper and big time on the upkeep and ongoing cost, its almost nothing on a fifth wheel.
Old 06-11-2013, 06:41 AM   #4

I would say that not not spending a lot of money on upkeep is a rarity. It's an RV, things are not cheap.
Old 06-11-2013, 07:01 AM   #5

I have spent $20 on some new strings for a couple blinds and curtain tie backs that broke, Oil changes on the generator, truck and grease for the rig around $500 because we have traveled a lot but that's all I can remember. Now I have spent a few grand on some customizing like a water softener and led ground effect lights, energy monitor, but I figured those all in to the purchase cost so like I said on going upkeep cost has been all most nothing for me. My Cedar Creek has been wonderful.
Old 06-11-2013, 08:16 PM   #6

Thanks everyone we really appreciate the knowledge and wisdom! This helps us a lot!!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

We just purchased a crossroads cruiser patriot 355bl. It is very rare and hard to find but in my opinion a great mix between rear living and rear bunk room. You really should check it out it has the bunk room slide out in the center of the 5er and a really big kitchen and living room. The only 2 dealers that we have found that sell them are southern rv in Atlanta ga and Terrytown rv in Grand Rapids mi
Old 06-13-2013, 08:16 PM   #8

We have contractors in our park that move once or twice a year and they don't even own a truck. Just call a service to move their 5er and pay $2 a mile. Lots cheaper than a truck.