Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-15-2018, 09:28 PM   #1

Full timer - Black tank

For full timing, how do you guys handle the black tank? When I have stayed long term, I have always kept the blank tank closed and dumped every few days. I'm curious what others have done / do. Anyone leave the black tank valve open all the time? Anything other cool process I cannot think of?
bofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-15-2018, 09:32 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I do the same as you but flush the tank each time I dump the tank. Never ever leave the black tank open or you will be the recipient of the dreaded "Poop Pyramid."
Charlie and Martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 09:36 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bofisher View Post
For full timing, how do you guys handle the black tank? When I have stayed long term, I have always kept the blank tank closed and dumped every few days. I'm curious what others have done / do. Anyone leave the black tank valve open all the time? Anything other cool process I cannot think of?

Keep it closed and dump it every couple days
Old 05-15-2018, 09:37 PM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
yep keep it closed and dump as required.
Enjoying the 2008 Damon Tuscany 4056, #3998 no your eyes are fine, there are really 6 slides
2022 F150 King Ranch or 2012 Edge toads

powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:07 PM   #5

Ever looked down into a vault toilet/outhouse....great big huge mound of POOP and TP plied up in the middle and ALL the liquid has run to the sides/bottom

Leave your Black Tank dump valve open and you will soon be able to look down into your black tank via the toilet and see the same

Same with grey/galley tanks.
Sloughed body/skin cells, body oils, grease/oils from cooking, food debris etc go down sink/shower drains and accumulate in bottom of tank if dump valve left open

They are waste tanks........and drain under gravity
Liquid is heavy plus high volume when full gives it that WHOOSH affect when you open dump valves

Like a fast flowing river......it can carry boulders away
A slow trickle in creek can't even move a pebble

Left those tanks get FULL then ----WHOOSH!

And after dumping......add couple gallons of water back into the waste tanks so bottoms stay wet....stuff doesn't dry out and then stink
Old-Biscuit is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:08 PM   #6

Awesome. I'll continue to work it that way. Thanks for the replies.
bofisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:14 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
From another post where I answered pretty much the same question

If you mean just leave them open all the time while connected thats a terrible idea. The liquids in the black tank will continually drain leaving the solids behind creating the infamous mound of poo. This mound will Harden and solidify at which point the first thought you'll have is "it would be easier to buy and RV than deal with this mess".

The liquids in the black tank are necessary to keep the solids from drying out and to carry the solids out of the tank when you dump. Let the black tank get to 2/3 full or better before dumping. This ensures sufficient liquid volume to flow the solids.

Gray tank open all the time not an issue. Just close it in time before dumping the black to allow it to accumulate some water for flushing the sewer hose. I normally close it the night before and get a couple showers worth of water in the tank."
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 10:47 PM   #8

Keep the black closed and dump it every ....3....weeks?

Its nice having big tanks.....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2018, 11:16 PM   #9

We are making it about 10-12 days before having to go to a dump site...
Closed for black, open for grey.
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 06:47 AM   #10

We keep the black closed and dump once a week (Saturday job). The greys stay open.

Brad
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:00 AM   #11

I take the opposite approach and leave both the gray/black tank valves open when we have FHU's, which is about 10 months of the year. We have been doing this for 6 years now and have no bad effects to report, (except one less scheduled dumping hassle to deal with). I do take some precautions like not putting toilet paper in the tank and putting 5 gallons of soapy water in the black tank on travel days to slosh around for tank cleaning.
Some people post that it can't be done without bad results, but it works for us!!
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 10:07 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grindstone01 View Post
I take the opposite approach and leave both the gray/black tank valves open when we have FHU's, which is about 10 months of the year. We have been doing this for 6 years now and have no bad effects to report, (except one less scheduled dumping hassle to deal with). I do take some precautions like not putting toilet paper in the tank and putting 5 gallons of soapy water in the black tank on travel days to slosh around for tank cleaning.
Some people post that it can't be done without bad results, but it works for us!!
Where does the used toilet paper go???????????
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Where does the used toilet paper go???????????
I want to know, but then I really don't. Reminds me of reading a post couple years ago on another forum. Full-time/extended travel couple; no #2 allowed, bath house only for that, no TP allowed, wife would place in trash bag and take out every morning so husband didn't have to deal with a "mess"
Fl2GaScotts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 03:17 PM   #14

^^^^^^
And what keeps the poo from clogging the slinky?
https://davenola.blogspot.com/
CampDaven is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black tank, full time, full timer, tank