Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #1

I have a question. What brand (manufacturer) would you suggest as a full time coach for living in. I am looking around 34'-36' at least 2 slides. So far I have the Keystone Montana's and the NuWa Hitch Hiker, on my short list. Newmar makes a nice coach but not the floorplan I like. Any others I should consider as a 4 season coach?

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
The Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-20-2008, 02:44 AM   #2

I have a question. What brand (manufacturer) would you suggest as a full time coach for living in. I am looking around 34'-36' at least 2 slides. So far I have the Keystone Montana's and the NuWa Hitch Hiker, on my short list. Newmar makes a nice coach but not the floorplan I like. Any others I should consider as a 4 season coach?

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
Old 04-20-2008, 06:30 AM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
If you want a true full timers coach, you need to look beyond the Montanas. Nuwa, Newmar, Carriage, New Horizon are just a few.

Ken
Old 04-20-2008, 10:33 AM   #4

You may also take a look at Mobile Suites, the Select Suites is also nice. Teton is also a good fulltiming rig. K-Z Escalade or Montego Bay are nice also. Almost forgot Excel.

2005 Cardinal 35 CKT
RayRiviere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 11:16 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Definetly visit the Excel site -- they build an outstanding 5th wheel that many fulltimers prefer.
Old 04-22-2008, 03:41 AM   #6

There are a few that you have mentioned that I have forgotten. I will look at all of these floorplans and see which ones will fit and then check them out.
Thanks,

2006 Permobil Wheelchair
Old 04-25-2008, 03:09 PM   #7

Derek,
Wander over to Lazy Days in Seffner and carefully look over the Carriage units. Going full time I would highly recommend the CarriLite. You will probably want at least a 34 to 36'er. See if they have the new full side slide - - gorgeous. Excellent full timer units.
Bob
Old 04-30-2008, 06:48 PM   #8

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
Fulltimer... we have a 2005 Alpenlite Villa... 38 ft with 4 slides.. love it... live it fulltime and have found it to an excellent home.
We looked long and hard.. we enjoy the big windows.. large living room and large shower... windows and side tables in the kingbedroom..
I know the manufacturer is gone at this time.. but our home is well built and will keep us warm and safe..
I agree look beyond the Montanas..
Walt

2007 Duramax-Allison Tranny
Alpenliteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 06:03 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Alpenliteman:
Fulltimer... we have a 2005 Alpenlite Villa... 38 ft with 4 slides.. love it... live it fulltime and have found it to an excellent home.
We looked long and hard.. we enjoy the big windows.. large living room and large shower... windows and side tables in the kingbedroom..
I know the manufacturer is gone at this time.. but our home is well built and will keep us warm and safe..
I agree look beyond the Montanas..
Walt </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Sad day when a quality manufacturer goes under. But after the original family sold out it was only a matter of time before it happened. Bean counters look at the bottom line and not the whole picture. Personally if I was in the market for another fifth wheel I would not hesitate to buy Alpenlite.
450Donn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2008, 08:24 PM   #10

Location: Fulltimers from Eugene, Or - Now Somewhere on the Road-Currently Rio Grande Valley
To Don and Lorri,
Totally agree... The ole dad handed it off to the son and then the hand off to corporate america... We love our Alpenlite, but then we are kinda crazy... sold our home, sold all our STUFF and moved into the Villa.... still working.. everybody called us nuts.. but the last laugh is on them... we are leaving and planning our first big outing to the Balloon Fest in New Mexico and then to Rio Grande for the winter.... back to Oregon next summer... hope to see some you there..
Walt and Mary

2007 Duramax-Allison Tranny
Alpenliteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2008, 05:56 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Another quality name that went by the way-side is Avion. It was bought by Fleetwood in the early '90's and pretty much left alone until about 1996/7. They built the Avion 5ers in Nebraska and finally Fleetwood moved the plant to CA for a few years. Before the demise of the name, they moved the production to Longview, Texas where they were built and treated as a fancy Prowler. After 1995 the quality was really downhill.

Corporate bean-counters just do not understand the quality issue and engineering other than to make another nickel at the end of the day.

Ken
Old 05-09-2008, 02:25 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
dont look past cedar creeks or daydreamers, both made by forest river, which went through a few quality pains.
but we have been in ours since july of 2005
I broke one microwave
the fireplace burned some wood trim,
and this winter we replaced the living areas carpet with vinyl compiste flooring and it really made a difference in look and feel
matter of fact it even weighed less than the carpets we took out
powerboatr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 09:57 PM   #13

Alfa builds a good coach.
I have a 30RK 1996 - Very livable. Downsized to an Arctic Fox 24-5N - also a well built coach.
Frank
Old 06-18-2008, 06:58 PM   #14

Derek, please do some research at NuWaOwners.org and go to the forum. There is a ton of info form current Hitch Hiker owners, and they are a great bunch of people. I'm really impressed with the fact that the CEO regularly interacts with the folks.

I have heard that the CEO of Excel does the same. The only brands I would consider for fulltiming would be: NuWa, Excel, Teton, Newmar or New Horizons. Unfortunately, Travel Supreme just went away.

Also check the warranty of any fiver you're considering to see if it references something like "not for fulltime use." If they say that, it should tell you something. The brands above all market specifically to fulltime users.

Just be sure to get enough truck for any of the above!

HighwayRanger is offline   Reply With Quote