Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2017, 08:32 PM   #1

Fulltime vs Recreational 5th Wheels

We are planning to do fulltime in a 5th wheel and are just starting our planning. I have read multiple times where people said there are 5th wheels for fulltime and those for recreation. But so far I have not been able to find anything that explains what the difference is and how you know which 5th wheels are best for fulltime and which are best for recreation. Or does it really matter?

I would appreciate any light anyone can shed on this. Sorry if it has been asked before. I did some searches and have come up with nothing. Apparently I'm not searching the right thing.
drizztguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2017, 09:17 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
I'm fairly new to this as well but I'll give it a shot. What you'll be looking for are 4 season units that will have among many other features heated fresh, Grey and black tanks. Heated basements, well insulated walls roofs and under carriages. You'd ideally like to have 3 a/c units or at least pre-wired for the 3rd a/C on the 37' and up models. heat pump and gas furnace. All of this of course depends on your price point and tow vehicle the weight of the large models range from 13 to 15 thousand lbs empty. There are many other variables to consider. Are you going to be a resort camper or focus on state and federal campgrounds or BLM land. Many of those areas cannot accommodate units above 37'.
KenD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2017, 09:25 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by drizztguen View Post
We are planning to do fulltime in a 5th wheel and are just starting our planning. I have read multiple times where people said there are 5th wheels for fulltime and those for recreation. But so far I have not been able to find anything that explains what the difference is and how you know which 5th wheels are best for fulltime and which are best for recreation. Or does it really matter?

I would appreciate any light anyone can shed on this. Sorry if it has been asked before. I did some searches and have come up with nothing. Apparently I'm not searching the right thing.
My family and I went FT about 7 months ago, this is the first camper of any kind we have owned...so I don't have near the experience as some of the others on here. When we were shopping it seemed like there was a difference in material/build quality and storage space. A weekend trailer doesn't require you to bring everything you need to live day to day where as the FT trailer usually has more storage options and more niceties.

That being said, you can full time in whatever you want. Just look for something with a quality build and the storage/options you want in your life. If you are going to be in cold climates (at or below freezing) make sure you get a 4 season camper!
Tbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #4

We full time in a Grand Design Solitude! I really believe Grand Design will give you the best value for the money. In three years we have had very few problems and Grand Design customer service has gone out of their way to insure we are happy!
Old 09-03-2017, 08:00 AM   #5

The more $$$$ you spend the closer you get to a FT type 5th wheel. You won't find any in the $60 MSRP range. You need to jump up t the $90-120,000 range. It'a all about construction. Thicker frames, stronger axles, heated tanks and high R value for insulation, etc.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:21 AM   #6

Agree with Cumminsfan. A 'Full Time' 5er, to me, simply indicates a higher quality class of trailers. It doesn't necessarily mean you need one to full-time in. Heck, you can full-time in a surplus Army tent if you're so inclined.
Old 09-03-2017, 08:28 AM   #7

In the past, and maybe even today, some mfgrs. state their warranty is void if lived in full-time. Still, you can live in anything FT if you want. I suspect better quality build, stronger frames, better insulation, etc., leads to a better quality experience.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:45 AM   #8

We bought a lightly used DRV orginally. Kept it 4ish years full time. It showed a lot of wear. Really disappointed in it. Got our current unit, older Teton. Been in it 3ish years and it shows no wear inside. Outside getting dull look but it is a 2003. If you buy "cheap" it will wear poorly full time. None are really cheap but cost vary greatly. Some buy less costly and trade every so many years. If we were shopping new today it is a tuff call.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.2016 Smartcar carry on deck. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 08:47 AM   #9

Cumminsfan, Ralphie,and Glenn summed it up pretty well!
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 10:59 AM   #10

When looking to replace our last 5er I wanted one that the builder said it was for full time use. Only found one ~~ Montana. It is said more full timers have a Montana than any other as We don't plan on going full time but wanted one built for it. Prices not as high as many others too.
Captn John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 12:19 PM   #11

I would differentiate on 4 things:
Warranty
Weight
Cargo Capacity
Tank size

Seasonal RV's will be lighter in construction and not be warrantied for full time. Things like cabinets and walls will be lighter...and...cheesier. Walk through enough of them you can see the difference.

I just saw a new 38' unit from a major manufacturer with 1300lbs of Cargo capacity, and a 47 gallon fresh water tank. LOL. Useless.

As a fulltimer, plan on moving a TON (yes, literally 2000lbs) of stuff into the unit, and you want biiiig tanks so you can last off grid without hookups for extended periods of time. Manufacturers understand this, and units designed to handle those loads are available. Look for 100+ gallons of fresh water, 75+ gallons of Gray, 50+ gallons Black tanks. Things like 4 season rating, heated tanks, HEAT PUMPS to heat in the winter without burning propane, and excellent AC systems are also really important on a full timer rig, not as important for the seasonal folk who use the unit a couple of times a year.

I'd also highly recommend a unit with a built in generator - as the portable units are a PITA compared to just flipping a switch.

Finally....as someone who has fulltimed in a 5th wheel...if I had to do it again..I wouldn't. I'd go get myself a nice Class A....
mrgrayaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:26 PM   #12

Class A v. 5th Wheel

My wife and I are just starting to research for our future transition to retirement. We have started looking at Class A's and 5th wheels and are torn between the 2. We are leaning towards the 5th Wheel, but am curious as to why you would have chosen a Class A if you were starting again.

Thanks.
Ranger1272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:28 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgrayaz View Post
and you want biiiig tanks so you can last off grid without hookups for extended periods of time. Manufacturers understand this, and units designed to handle those loads are available. Look for 100+ gallons of fresh water, 75+ gallons of Gray, 50+ gallons Black tanks.
Today's FT units (and many wannabe's) have residential refers that make being off grid for long periods of time impracticable w/o a good solar setup and/or generator. So, having large tanks really is of little benefit w/o the other items. Otherwise, if the unit is always at FHU sites, then large tanks are not necessary.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:58 PM   #14

IMO, a good starting point is when the manufacturer warranties an rv for fulltime living. Be cautious of claims like R40 insulation and other outlandish sounding stuff, it's just not realistic. Having said that, pay close attention to the insulation, general construction, heating, cooling, dual pane windows are a big plus, rv grade furniture and cabinets are definitely a red flag and not durable enough.
I can't recommend any specific brands or manufacturers it all depends on how big/heavy you want to go, new or used and where you want to travel.
We are happy with our Riverstone and it is built for fulltime living.

Tags
5th wheel, fulltime