Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-07-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
Originally Posted by SmokeyWren View Post
Because that's where the kids/grandkids/great grandkids live? You want to take the grandkids skiing during "winter break" from school, but you can't do that if they're up north but you're stuck in snowbird country.

Not everyone hates the snow country. I read recently that Maine has a greater percentage of retired folks who stay put during their senior years than any other state. A Maine native fulltimer might want to go "home" for Christmas. I lived in Maine for two winters, and believe me it is too often 30 below zero Fahrenheit with three foot of snow on the driveway. So if you want to go there for Christmas or in ski season, then you'd better have a 4-seasons RV.

But south in the summertime? Not for me. I tell my brother in Houston that I'll visit him between October and March, but never during the hot/humid months. We have grandkids and great grandkids in Austin, but I hate going there in summertime because with the humidity it's just too uncomfortable for an old desert rat.
Smokey does not give a very informed position on RVing in northern climates in the winter. I have lived up here my entire life and there are serious holes in his "information". The first one is that the RV parks are closed here in the winter and for good reasons. The main one is handling the snow we get and the second one is total lack of demand. Our state parks in Washington are generally closed in the winter, at least on the eastern 2/3 rds of the state and some are also closed on the west side due to liquid snow.

All of my vehicles I drive are 4 wheel drive and that is just to get me somewhere safely. We have snow packed and icy roads all winter and it is no place to be towing a 5th wheel trailer. Our mountain passes have chain restrictions on every time a big snowfall hits and we had 4 or 5 of them in APRIL. They are a lot more common from November through March. YOU DO NOT SEE RV'S ON THE HIGHWAYS HERE IN THE WINTER. And that is a result of common sense. It is dangerous to drive them on the road conditions we experience here on sudden notice.

As far as Maine, I would imagine that there are a lot of retired folks staying there in the winter because of the economy. I would also venture that if they could afford to travel south they would.

As far as skiing, it is a common recreation here in the winter time. Most of the younger set have gone over to snowboarding but if they want instructions they are a lot more likely to get it from their parents than their grandfather from Texas or Louisiana where the odds of them being proficient in the sport ranks up there with winning the lottery.

We travel south because we are tired of the snow and the cold and we want to experience a winter with nice temperatures. We will go back home in the spring and have those same and even warmer termperatures. I have skiiied since I was a teenager and have had a season pass at our local ski area (17 miles from my home) since 1969 and I have no regrets at giving it up.

I have had some experience with southerners during hunting seasons here. For a number of years I hunted the Frank Church Wilderness Area in Idaho for mule deer in November. We have often run into Texans and other southerners hunting there. The common complaint is that they can not put enough clothes on to get warm. The area can be bitter cold but not a lot worse than those areas outside of the Wilderness area. The issue is your body becoming aclimitized to the cold and it does not happen overnight, nor even a couple of months.

KOTR36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-07-2012, 01:34 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
In what will probably be a vain attempt to bring this thread back on topic:

Originally Posted by TEAMTJ View Post
Other manufacturers that are known to be 4 season fulltimer coaches are Nuwa, Newmar, Mobile Suites, and New Horizons to name a few.
Unless you're looking at used or dealer stock units, forget about Newmar - they've recently abandoned the 5th wheel business. The same, unfortunately, can be said for Carriage, who built nice 5th wheels - in their case, the company folded. Mobile Suites is one of the models offered by DRV Suites (formerly Doubletree RV). Although we don't fulltime in it, we've been pleased with our Mobile Suites over the 8 years we've owned it.

2016 Ram Longhorn 3500 Dually 4x4 CCLB, 385/900 Cummins, Aisin AS69RC, 4.10
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 05:16 AM   #17
take a look at Sanibel. They are rated to 0 degrees and have a warranty for full timers. I have a Montana and would not reccomend it because of cheap components. I am upside down on my rig so am stuck with it.
texasflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2012, 07:00 PM   #18
New Horizons Owners Club
Last year, we went through a similar process to find a suitable full timing RV. After about 1 1/2 years of research. I ended up with a short list of Excel, NuWa and New Horizons. All are excellent high quality manufacturers. After factory visits, we ended up customizeing a design and buying a new New Horizons Majestic. They will customize a rig to your requirements. The more you know about what you want, the easier it will be to design a rig.
Home is where you park it, and you want to make sure that you are comforatble and don't feel that you are living in a box.
Stuart, Lynn, Robbie and Abby
2012 102-F41RLTSS New Horizons Majestic
2013 F550 Super Duty w/Utility Bodywerks hauler body
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 08:25 AM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Originally Posted by greyt-parent View Post
After factory visits, we ended up customizeing a design and buying a new New Horizons Majestic.
Very nice RV. Heavy, luxurious, and expensive. Here's a 2010 model for sale for only $129,900, and they say a new one just like it would sell for over $190,000.
2010 Majestic 102-F42RLTSS | Inventory | New Horizons RV | Luxury Full Time RV & Custom Fifth Wheels

Sorta like a yacht - if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it.

I'm glad to see you have an F-450 to tow it with. Too many full-timers try to get by with "not enuff truck". The used one shows a medium-duty tractor tied to it, or maybe it's a customized class 8 tractor with one rear axle removed?. New Horizons doesn't show the GVWR on their website, but they give enough info to indicate it's north of 20,000 pounds, and probably close to 23,000 pounds. The six trailer tires are rated to handle over 20,000 pounds combined GAWR when pumped up to 80 PSI. So add at least 15 percent hitch weight to that and you have tire capacity of over 23,000 pounds.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:25 AM   #20
New Horizons Owners Club
Yes, I admit that NH RV's are heavier then most, but then they are very well made and constructed. NH builds their own frames to insure complete design and quality control over the construction of such a critical component. They also do all their own woodworking and the cabinetry rivals a high end brick and mortar kitchen. Sitting at the dining table, you don't feel like you are sitting in a tin/fiberglass can. The quality control is excellent and they stand by their product. Again, you get what you pay for. As an example, during one of our other plant tours (not on my short list), I saw a frame builder adjust one of his welds with a sledge hammer. At NH, watching them build a frame, it was more like measure and adjust the clamps over and over to make it 'right', before even starting the weld.
I know the owner the rig you highlighted and I know he is a MDT devotee. I have been in the rig and it is very well appointed with many, many extras, however depending on your requirements, you may not need a 42 footer. NH has many other trade-ins available that are smaller. It is all a matter of what your individual requirements are.
Stuart, Lynn, Robbie and Abby
2012 102-F41RLTSS New Horizons Majestic
2013 F550 Super Duty w/Utility Bodywerks hauler body
greyt-parent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 09:55 AM   #21
Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
EXCEL, EXCEL , EXCEL. plus service and smile after the sale!

chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote