Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-06-2013, 08:51 PM   #15

Thanks guys I will do all those ideas and see how it goes!!!!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-07-2013, 10:28 AM   #16

Assuming that you have slides, check for gaps along the floor...we have major air transfer on our rig, so I stuff the gaps with dense foam rubber form an exercise mat.

Regards
Gemstone

Old 03-07-2013, 12:07 PM   #17

The furnace running that much might be a little much but probably within general tolerance. I agree look for leaks around the edges of the slide.

On my rig behind the washer is the hose for the outside shower. When I pulled to washer out to fix a leak I could see daylight through the outside shower cover. My rig has the 4 season package which gotta agree with TXiceman - it is a joke.

I am waiting for someone with a DRV, Excel or Trilogy to chime in and tell us how often their furnace runs.

Lol - I would guess they may not really know as they have enough sense to head south.
Old 03-07-2013, 12:36 PM   #18

We have an '06 DRV, and have the aforementioned major air transfer....even high $$$ rigs can be poorly designed. As for how often the furnace runs in below freezing Indiana....I don't want to know, just glad I left. But I can tell you it doesn't run that much in Yuma....

Regards
Gemstone
Old 03-08-2013, 08:41 PM   #19

We have a '12 Excel Wild Cargo. As long as my slides are adjusted so the seals sit well, our furnace doesn't run too frequently. We have been in 7* temps with windchill well below zero and thermostat set on 70 during the day and 65 at night and I honestly don't even notice when the furnace kicks in because its either really quiet or just doesn't run excessively. The caveat is if we keep the door from LR to garage open the furnace does run a lot more (and we even had the garage floor insulated but only with astrofoil). When it is cold outside we typically keep a space heater going in the garage to keep at a comfy temp so we don't freeze out our kiddo. We also sometimes keep a space heater in the LR if it gets around freezing outside. As far as the draft from the slides, we have had to adjust a couple of our slides twice in the 14 months we've owned our Excel. But we have traveled coast to coast a couple of times and hit some pretty nasty roads which always cause havoc on slide alignment.

Comparing our Excel to our previous 5er, a Keystone, it really is night and day in insulation. In our Keystone we had a significant draft coming from the basement through the metal grate on the stairs into the kitchen. We also had significant drafts from the slides and windows. We used a ton of propane and had space heaters running non-stop. I have yet to find a draft on the Excel except for very minor around the double pane windows when it is super cold outside.
Old 03-09-2013, 07:02 AM   #20

TEAMTJ - What is involved in having the slide adusted? Is it a DIY or a trip to the dealer?

Great to know that Excel insulates really good. I hope they have a floor plan that my DW likes when we decide our next 5er.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:53 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
TEAMTJ - What is involved in having the slide adusted? Is it a DIY or a trip to the dealer?

Great to know that Excel insulates really good. I hope they have a floor plan that my DW likes when we decide our next 5er.
Can be a DIY thing if you are comfortable. I had Peterson Industries show me how to do it correctly. It involves a 7 ton bottle jack to support the slideout and some basic tools to loosen up and couple of bolts. Adjust the slide as necessary then tighten up bolts. Easy peasy lemon squeezy!
Old 03-10-2013, 11:31 AM   #22

All electric heaterh have at least 2 settings I use the lowest in the basement and have it on all the time so it keeps it nice and warm. A big issue in the basement was air leaks and the propane tanks were part of a side so it was a metal wall in one area I glued styrofoam the the metal on the back side of the tanks
Old 03-10-2013, 02:33 PM   #23

Send a message via Skype™ to ROMANICHEL
I have the kitchen ceiling fan running backward, that could help in sending the heat down
Old 03-10-2013, 03:08 PM   #24

I think I will leave any slide adjustmemt to the dealer. It is the bedroom slide that I think needs adjusted some. It is 5 1/2 feet off the ground.

It is something I will need to see how it is done.
Old 03-14-2013, 04:42 PM   #25

We were up north this winter in our Cedar Creek, where it was 7 at night, during the day we ran the heat pumps and at night we used the fireplace heat and one of those infra red heaters from Sams, those two would keep our 42' about 77 we like it warm, with the ceiling fan running, and heated tanks on at night and we never had a problem. The electric was included that's why we used those. We set the furnace on 75 in case it dropped in the rig, and we got two months out of 30lb of propane.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:27 AM   #26

We took our new to us 5th wheel up to the mountains for an overnight trip in the mid teens weather. In attempt to keep the trailer close to 70*, the furnace ran quite a bit. Almost completely drained the batteries by morning. My batteries arent in "perfect" condition so that may have been partly the reason, but the furnace did run a lot, and I also have the "arctic" package.

I was concerned like you about furnace run time being overly excessive but got about the same responses from everyone whereby saying that unless there's something wrong with the thermostat, its probably normal given how cold it was outside. This all led to the thread turning into how to overcome this issue and the general consensus was, the experienced people who spend time in the colder climates (or just like to be warm) use CAT heaters. Extremely efficient compared to the furnace so you can run them all day and night on very little LP, they use no electricity, and they keep the trailer nice an toasty. They can be mounted permanently if you want too, or put them away for the summer. They run somewhere in the $300-$400 range, which is cheap if you calculate the amount of LP your furnace uses over the next couple years.

And make sure its a CAT heater. There are lots of heaters out there but CAT heaters are very safe where are other combustion heaters can not be.
Old 03-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #27

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
My Excel stays toasty with normal furnace cycling like at home. on for 10 mins off for 45-60 mins when ist real cold out.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 AM   #28
Commercial Member

You may want to check into rvcomfortsystems.com, they offer the cheap heat system. I have installed the 5000 watt 240 volt electric add on to my gas heater unit. I have a 2004 36 foot Mobile Suite camper. I also went through two 7 gallon propane bottles on one of my winter camping trip. I also had two portable electric heaters and one oil radiator heater running and my gas heater unit set at 68 degrees. I had to find a better way to heat my camper. I'm going on three years with the cheap heat system and love it. I installed an extra 4 inch duct piping to the underbelly to heat the water tanks and piping. The coldest weather I camped in after the hook up was 20 degrees. The cheap heat system heated my camper evenly and I notice that my floors stayed warm ( my feet loved that ). I stayed in short sleeve **** and short pants all night long. This system kept my camper very comfortable. In some people eye's this system is too expensive, but I know first hand that I will never own a camper with out the cheap heat system in it. I have yet to refill my two propane bottles in three years.this system is very well built and certified. Good luck in your venture, happy trails!!!!!