Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 10:09 PM   #1

Question Fuse box/breaker panel fan

I have had my Cougar 5th wheel for 3 1/2 years, live in it full time.

Until recently, I have never heard the fan running. (in fact I didn't realize they had a fan until I read a few posts around here.) Now in the evenings it comes on and the lights dim (ok one light is all I ever have on at night...as I'm careful not to run too many things to avoid tripping the breakers or blowing a fuse.) Now, especially in the past few days in the evening it goes off and on.
Am I worrying for nothing? It is just I never have heard it run before.
(No, it isn't warm where I live and this past summer when we had a few warm days I never heard it come on. It is coming off and on repeatedly and it is pretty cool this evening (all that is on is the one light and TV.)
Could this be the portend of a problem, or again am I needlessly worrying?
paty is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 PM   #2

If its the conveter or inverter fan you are refering too, make sure your battery is in good shape, full of water. Are you plugged into shore power or dry camping?
rv.guru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #3

Shore power. I'll check the batteries in the morning.

BUT this seems to occur at night...
Old 09-05-2011, 07:46 AM   #4

Any luck???? How was your battery?
Old 09-06-2011, 12:35 PM   #5

Question Batteries

Shows how clueless I am/was. Two batteries!....now to pry off. I wasn't given the original manuel for the RV....so the xerox copies read..."Before performing any maintenance on the
ba
ttery, always disconnect the...(nothing, sentence has no end. I'm assuming the procedure is just as it would be with a car, etc.
So I guess I just pry off the vent covers..wish me luck.

oh, oh batteries need topping off, rather low. I'll do that and then report re: converter fan going off and on.

Question, so the fuse box/converter has it's own battery? Please excuse my ignorance, before this, maintenance wasn't my 'job'. Just general RV exterior upkeep..blah blah blah.
Old 09-06-2011, 02:34 PM   #6

It is probably telling you to disconnect ground on batteries, the converter uses the same batteries as the rest of the unit, it charges them and produces 12 volts to run lights and what not. The batteries could be bad causing the converter to heat up, low water can cause this as well because the batteries are not able to charge properly or hold a charge like they should.
Old 09-06-2011, 03:11 PM   #7

Question Fuse/box/breaker panel fan reply

I'll keep my fingers crossed that the additional water will do the trick.

Why disconnect the ground?
Old 09-06-2011, 04:23 PM   #8

So the battery is not charging and creating hydrogen gases while you are working on them.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #9

Use distilled water to top off the batteries. Chances are, you are looking at buying 2 new batteries. Don't buy just one if only one is bad--the new one will be pulled down by the old one--get 2 new ones of same manufacture date. Probably should get deep cell batteries, but many get by with regular car batteries.
If you are disconnecting all the wires to change out the batteries, be sure and keep the wires together--or mark them for where they were connected, you don't want to hook them up wrong on the new ones.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2011, 08:46 PM   #10

Let me know if you need further assitance. Happing camping and good luck.
Old 09-11-2011, 02:08 PM   #11

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Use distilled water to top off the batteries. Chances are, you are looking at buying 2 new batteries. Don't buy just one if only one is bad--the new one will be pulled down by the old one--get 2 new ones of same manufacture date. Probably should get deep cell batteries, but many get by with regular car batteries.
If you are disconnecting all the wires to change out the batteries, be sure and keep the wires together--or mark them for where they were connected, you don't want to hook them up wrong on the new ones.
Joe
I'm thinking new batteries, as the converter fan keeps going off at night, even when I'm just using the small lights. I have deep (cycle) batteries, so if they need changing I'll get the same type.
I just realized I've had them for close to 4 years, seems like a pretty good run for batteries.
I want to get a hydrometer tho, to check the specfic gravity before I give up hard to come by money!
Anyone know if hydrometers are easy to come by? Local stores and such?
Old 09-11-2011, 02:34 PM   #12

Good auto parts store (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA etc) should have them. The fan may be cycling during the day and you just don't hear it, but at night when all is quiet you do.
2018 Silverado 3500HD High Country Dually 4x4 Duramax/Allison, 2016 Redwood 39MB, Disc Brakes, Mor/ryde IS, Sailun 17.5" H tires, 5.5K Onan, Dual ACs, auto level, auto sat dish, stacked washer/dryer, residential fridge, King sleep number. Michelle & Ann
mhs4771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 02:44 PM   #13

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhs4771 View Post
Good auto parts store (Auto Zone, Advance Auto, NAPA etc) should have them. The fan may be cycling during the day and you just don't hear it, but at night when all is quiet you do.
Thanks! I believe there is a NAPA within a driveable distance.
No, this fan thing has just begun. I live in a very rural area, so when in the RV during the day, I'd hear it as it is about (at most) 8ft away from where I'd be sitting. BUT can't take a chance, so I think a test with the hydrometer would be the best way to go.

Have an RV guy coming out this Tuesday to put in a new galley tank and I'll call him the day before and see if possibly he just happens to have a hydrometer.
Old 10-08-2011, 06:59 PM   #14

Question Hydrometer readings

Tested the batteried with a hydrometer and got readings of 1225 1250 (also reads 'Fair') I was told I have about an 80% charge on my batteries if that is what reading/numbers I obtained. (addendum it is a temperature compensating hydrometer)

Could batteries with that % of charge cause the fan on converter to go off and on and the light/s to dim and then brighten? One person mentioned a surge?

I'm worried it is the converter..hoping not.

Opinions?

Tags
fan, fuse