Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2016, 08:23 PM   #1

Fuzion 310 Electrical issue. HELP NEEDED PLEASE

Hello everyone. So I'm brand new to this site and brand new to pulling a 5th wheel. I recently pulled a KZ Sportsman travel trailer for the past 3 years with my truck. I have a 2011 crew cab F250 diesel. Recently I purchased a 2013 Keystone Fuzion 310 toy hauler. I love the fuzion, but have a major issue which is concerning me. Its starting to cost me quite a bit of money and was hoping someone on here may know the fix to my issue, had a similar issue or at least point me in the right direction, because camping world is running me dry and a local guy does not seem to know what's going on.

Problem: I hook the camper up like normal and all the lights/brakes work with my truck. I will start down the road and sometimes it happens rather quickly where other times i travel for a few hours before it happens, but out of no where I get either a wire fault message on my truck or a trailer disconnect. Scares the S*** out of me because all of a sudden I have no lights or brakes on the trailer. I then pull over, mess with the plug and sometimes it comes back on and sometimes it does not. I thought it was the plug because I never had this issue with my last camper so I had the plug on the camper replaced, didn't work. I had a guy who works on campers check my truck and the campers connectors and both tested ok. I thought it may be some sort of grounding issue? I'm the first to admit I know nothing when it comes to electrical. I am mechanically inclined at working on engines etc, but electrical is a foreign language to me. Probably time I learn. Anyways I really have no idea where to go from here other then taking it to camping world and paying a whole lot of money for them to try different things:(

Any guidance/help would be greatly appreciated.

Stephen
pilot227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-30-2016, 08:17 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Check connections where the wires go into the pin box.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 08:24 AM   #3

I would try to pull the camper with a different truck and see if you still have the problem. If you still have the problem then I would suspect the camper, if not I would check your truck
brewurown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

I would at least try connecting the Fuzion to the bumper connector.
Old 07-30-2016, 05:25 PM   #5

Jayco Owners Club
You said you replaced the trailer plug. Did you also replace the 7 pin receptacle on the truck?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:20 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barlow46 View Post
Check connections where the wires go into the pin box.
Are you referring to electric box which has the white grounding wire beside it right behind the pin?
Old 07-30-2016, 10:22 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rskeans View Post
I would at least try connecting the Fuzion to the bumper connector.
I did connect it to my bumper connector because that's the only connector I currently have... I am getting a connector installed in my bed so I don't have to route the wire over the tail gate.
Old 07-30-2016, 10:25 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drifter59 View Post
You said you replaced the trailer plug. Did you also replace the 7 pin receptacle on the truck?
I have not replaced the 7 pin receptacle on my truck yet. I have getting a receptacle installed in the bed of my truck, but no I have not replaced the one by the bumper. I hauled a trailer for 3 years with this truck a never had a connection issue, but the first time hauling this trailer I had a disconnect issue. I'm thinking about replacing the receptacle on the truck to rule it out, but I'm pretty convinced it's the trailer. I don't know where to start though when it comes to the trailer.
Old 07-31-2016, 07:29 PM   #9

There is a connection that builds resistance as it is used. I suspect it is within the braking circuit. The blue wire from the trailer plug carries the voltage to the brakes on your trailer and the white wire is the ground. The poor connection could be anywhere, but I would first look at the wiring at the back of the brake drums. Those connections are subjected to the elements far more than others and have been the source of trouble many times with my trailers.

Do you sense that the trailer brakes are as strong when the connection warning appears as before?
DJNCJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 08:47 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot227 View Post
Are you referring to electric box which has the white grounding wire beside it right behind the pin?
Yes. With a meter jiggle the wires around and see if you lose or gain voltage. Do this from the truck back to each connection on the camper. It probably will turn out to be a ground somewhere.
Barlow46 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical