Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #1

KZ RV Club
Garden hose water

I parked my 5th wheel in my daughter's yard, and the 25 foot fresh water hose wouldn't reach, so I just used her garden hose. Now, the water smells like a hose, and I have to carry water from the house to make coffee etc. The hot water smells bad too. I am moving to a campground soon with full hookups, so will this smelly water go away without turning off all the power and gas and fully dumping the hot water heater? I can't even brush my teeth with this water!
Dave
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

When you get to the campground fill the fresh water tank with fresh water and flush the entire system. You could even drain the hot water heater before starting the flush just to speed up the process.
The odor should work it's way out soon.
Perhaps adding a small amount of Clorox to the fresh water tank after you fill it would help in the flushing process.
All this extra water could be used for flushing the black and gray tanks as long as you are flushing things anyway.
You may as well take advantage of a bad situation.
Lynn
Old 09-09-2017, 12:36 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Strange - I've used garden hoses off and on, and never had an issue (new ones do have an odor though). Just drain your fresh tank and hot water heater, and start over again.
Old 09-09-2017, 12:43 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Bennett View Post
Strange - I've used garden hoses off and on, and never had an issue (new ones do have an odor though). Just drain your fresh tank and hot water heater, and start over again.

Same here; never an issue.
aether_one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 02:09 PM   #5

Depends on how long all the residual water sat in the hose. The inner core of the potable water hoses are usually teflon ( I think) which won't absorb odors. Generic hoses not so.
Old 09-09-2017, 02:28 PM   #6

I have bought new cheep hoses that smell and taste bad. Took them back.
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:07 PM   #7

3Thumbs,
You should just bite the bullet and sanitize the tank with a clorox solution. otherwise you won't get rid of that rubbery smell and taste for a long time .
Paul
Grafton Guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2017, 03:31 PM   #8

KZ RV Club
Thank you guys for the prompt responses. This garden hose was a real cheap 12 dollar 50 foot walmart from china hose, and it tastes like chemicals or worse.
3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 04:45 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
Thank you guys for the prompt responses. This garden hose was a real cheap 12 dollar 50 foot walmart from china hose, and it tastes like chemicals or worse.
That stinks!
Lynn
Old 09-10-2017, 09:32 PM   #10

Newmar Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Used the garden hose once. DW noticed very quickly.
Old 09-19-2017, 09:07 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
Howdy 3thumbs, I buy the Camco Premium Water Hoses from Walmart. They are blue (not white cheap ones) and have Stainless Steel end fittings. I think I still have the original one I bought years ago. They come in various lengths, but I have two of the 35 footers I carry in the RV and all is good wherever I go.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-228...-Free/16783109

Take Care, Be Safe, and Have Fun Out There!
CMelder is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water