Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-02-2012, 11:37 PM   #29

Maybe you could re-carpet the area's that won't take the flooring in a new carpet that matches the floor and new decor. If you can share some pictures maybe I could take a look and make further suggestons.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-10-2012, 01:21 AM   #30

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
I had a pro re-carpet the entire rig except for the steps. For the steps, he used laminated wood flooring strips (Pergo left over from a house job) cut to fit, with the transitions done in quarter-round moulding. Very slick looking.

I saved money by ripping out all of the original carpet and removing things like the dining room benches and the jackknife sofa and queen bed pedestal. Instead of stapling the carpet like the factory did, he used tack strips all around like used in a sticks and bricks.

I bought the carpet at Lowe's, the rug guy there hooked me up with the installer, and he did it as side work. Lowe's won't do the install on an RV, but doesn't care what their contract installers do on their own time.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:31 PM   #31

first5thwheel,
Great post and thank you for contributing to the work ahead for me. I purchased my first 5th wheel last fall and have not had much time to use it. It has rose colored carpet in it (gag) and I had become accustomed to it. Until I saw the work you did. I have nice blinds in our rv, they are a double kind of pleated fabric. The thin one allows you to see out but it blocks a good view to the inside but the thicker one blocks everything. I like they way those work but your wood blinds look great. I am going to tackle the vinyl though and possibly the window trim. How would it work with the vinly on the slides?
Old 05-11-2012, 12:32 PM   #32

Sounds like it turned out nice. You will have to share pictures if you are able. Like the idea of the carpet tacking.
Old 05-11-2012, 12:41 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTR36 View Post
first5thwheel,
Great post and thank you for contributing to the work ahead for me. I purchased my first 5th wheel last fall and have not had much time to use it. It has rose colored carpet in it (gag) and I had become accustomed to it. Until I saw the work you did. I have nice blinds in our rv, they are a double kind of pleated fabric. The thin one allows you to see out but it blocks a good view to the inside but the thicker one blocks everything. I like they way those work but your wood blinds look great. I am going to tackle the vinyl though and possibly the window trim. How would it work with the vinly on the slides?

Thanks so much. Sorry I contributed to your work list. LOL. The wood blinds I purchased at IKEA. Very reasonable. The wood trim under the border was wooden valances I did not need to use that came with the blinds. Because I had cornices hid the top of the blinds I did not need the wood so utilized it in trim to match the blinds. The vinyl floor does not impede my slide nor does the floor get marked up by the slide coming in. To be safe I recommend a short runner (carpet throw) with a rubber back and let your slide roll up onto that so that it will not scratch the vinyl floor once you have it down. If you mean how the vinyl would look inside the slide it would be great, but I had no way of covering up the seam between the slide and the rig and the large metal platform under the carpet that is part of the leading edge of the slide. That is why I just replaced the carpet in the slide and had the edge of the carpet professionally bound at the carpet remnant store so it had a factory edge next to the new vinyl flooring. It turned out great.
Old 05-15-2012, 06:12 PM   #34

What to do with steps?

I have discussed with many of you about putting an Allure vinyl flooring in my Fleetwood 1997 Discovery. Thanks for the advice of the tile you have used with good results. Now I have a problem, what do I do at the steps. Here are pictures of the steps plus the step cover and I am asking for your help... What do I do to cover the steps once I take the carpet off? What about covering the step cover?? All suggestions appreciated and welcomed!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	009.JPG
Views:	90
Size:	185.5 KB
ID:	21180   Click image for larger version

Name:	011.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	187.0 KB
ID:	21181  

Click image for larger version

Name:	016.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	188.3 KB
ID:	21182   Click image for larger version

Name:	017.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	182.2 KB
ID:	21183  

Old 05-16-2012, 10:02 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgkersey1944 View Post
I have discussed with many of you about putting an Allure vinyl flooring in my Fleetwood 1997 Discovery. Thanks for the advice of the tile you have used with good results. Now I have a problem, what do I do at the steps. Here are pictures of the steps plus the step cover and I am asking for your help... What do I do to cover the steps once I take the carpet off? What about covering the step cover?? All suggestions appreciated and welcomed!

Wow that sure is alot of carpet. My steps were pretty basic and just the treads themselves were carpeted. The sidewalls were wood tone and the kick plates area was plywood (press board). I just simply used the allure with liquid nails on all the steps and vertical area's. It worked great. I would imagine you could remove all the carpet and just use the allure with liquid nails.

Here is a link to what my steps look like:

Vinyl Plank Flooring: Do you have stairs in your 5ver ????

Good luck with the project.
Old 08-30-2012, 02:02 AM   #36

I got started on my traffic master allure install two days ago. For some reason I thought you said it was easy but I never found that in your posts. I first had to remove my door to start removing the existing laminate flooring. Problem is that it was glued down to the particle board flooring. That 25 sf of flooring took two of us 4 hours to remove using a hammer and chisel. The problem then was the particle board was full of divots from the removal as the glue they used was GOOD. I used two buckets of a polymer/silicone mixture to smooth out the particle board.

After removal of the carpet, I spent 3 hours removing carpet and padding staples getting ready for the Teak grained flooring that is coming tomorrow.

I have a few photos of the process and will finish tomorrow and get some finished product shots. I will be having the carpet on the slides done at a later date.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:08 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by KOTR36 View Post
I got started on my traffic master allure install two days ago. For some reason I thought you said it was easy but I never found that in your posts. I first had to remove my door to start removing the existing laminate flooring. Problem is that it was glued down to the particle board flooring. That 25 sf of flooring took two of us 4 hours to remove using a hammer and chisel. The problem then was the particle board was full of divots from the removal as the glue they used was GOOD. I used two buckets of a polymer/silicone mixture to smooth out the particle board.

After removal of the carpet, I spent 3 hours removing carpet and padding staples getting ready for the Teak grained flooring that is coming tomorrow.

I have a few photos of the process and will finish tomorrow and get some finished product shots. I will be having the carpet on the slides done at a later date.
I am so sorry to hear your project was so labor instensive. Each rig is different. For me I did not have the issues you ran into with your install. For me it was very, very easy and it was done in almost 1 day. My floor plan and previous carpet were not intrusive nor attached in a manner that I had to go through all the effort you did. I guess each person will encounter a different set of circumstances when laying this floor because each rig is different and contructed differently and different materials used at the time of build at the factory. I was lucky..my rig was thrown together in a basic manner and was very easy to overhall. Good Luck and I can't wait to see your finished pictures. I am sure it will look great. Oh and as an added tip. It was very warm the the days I worked with the flooring. When it is warm the floor is way more pliable.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:12 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by first5thwheel View Post
Here are some more
My rig was particle board from the factory with no previous floor glued down so when I removed all my carpet and padding, the floor was flawlesss. I did have many staples to remove, but they came up fast and easy with a needle nose plyers and a twist of the wrist and they all came out very quickly. I would say I spent two hours removing all the staples that Fleetwood at used to attach the carpet.
Old 08-31-2012, 12:21 PM   #39

If you are using Allure, be careful with chair legs and put on floor protectors. We put Allure in our sticks and bricks kitchen, and the top later was worn off in less than a year from chair movement.
Old 09-01-2012, 06:14 AM   #40

Very nice work and it sure made a difference inside your rig. Beautiful!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
SouthernNite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2012, 12:39 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
If you are using Allure, be careful with chair legs and put on floor protectors. We put Allure in our sticks and bricks kitchen, and the top later was worn off in less than a year from chair movement.
I agree, Allure is great, but with any vinyl based product the finish could wear with repeated rubbing of a heavy object. Luckly our floor only gets foot traffic and no legs of any kind so it looks as new as the day we put it in.

Tags
window