Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-12-2009, 05:07 PM   #1

Gelcoat vs. Filon

I am looking at an 04 Excel. It appears to be in really nice condition, about the only negative I can see is the exterior is chalky and the decals are peeling. The decals don't faze me, I'll take em off and paint them on, but I know nothing about filon. Another post talks about buffing it back up and getting satisfactory results. But is filon a deal breaker? Is it that much worse than gelcoat?

Thanks in advance,
Bikeman
cobikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-12-2009, 06:28 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Appalachian Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
http://www.cranecomposites.com/RV/GIII.asp is the mfr page for Filon, it is simply a brand of gelcoated panel lots of RV manufacturere use.

My experience with Filon sidewalls is when they chalk up you can buff them and get at least some shine back, however the two I had to deal with (one 5 yr old at the time, the other 10 yr old) needed TLC for a couple of years to keep their shine. After buffing the oxidation off, I'd recommend a good gelcoat polish (I use Gel-Gloss)

I wold not consider it a deal-breaker unless the walls are delaminating, which is a whole other can of worms (http://www.google.com/search?q=delam...h=www.irv2.com is a search of Irv2.com and http://forum.doityourself.com/all-tr...eperating.html is more info on delamination, in case you want to know what to look for.

Good luck!
Stewart
Luv2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 06:30 PM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Filon can come with gelcoast surface as well. Here is link to Crane Composites a major manufacturer of panels formerly used in the RV industry. They were the company that had several class action lawsuits for delamination and were blamed by ALFA for their demise. There ad is only good to learn a little about RV surfaces, not their product.

http://www.cranecomposites.com/PDFs/65117_fil_lit.pdf
Old 05-12-2009, 06:33 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Looks like we posted at almost the same time. Well, what he said!
Old 05-12-2009, 08:08 PM   #5

Thanks for the informative replies. I will go see the unit tomorrow well prepared. Will let you know what it looks like when I get back.

Thanks!
cobikeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 09:51 PM   #6
Texas Boomers Wagonmaster

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
I have had good success removing oxidation from fiber glass finish such as Gelcoat on boats and RVs with 3M cleaner/polish that you can purchase in the boating sectiuon at Walmart. I have used just hand buffing and machine buffing depending on how bad the surface is oxidized. Putting a coat of 303 Aerospace liquid polish on it after cleaning will protect it from futher UV damage.
Old 05-13-2009, 05:26 AM   #7

Our 2000 5th has filon exterior, and the boat has gel coat. The boat cleans up much nicer. But the trailer still looks good, just has fibers in the finish coat.

Gel coat looks better, thats all.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 07:13 PM   #8

I have had Filon on two rigs. One of them I had for about 7 years. After 5 years or so the fibreglass threads started showing bad and would mildew no matter what I put on for a finish. I would have to periodically wash the finish with a strong detergent to remove any wax residue, then wash it down with a rather strong bleach solution. Then, I would repolish and wax. I would sure opt for gelcoat any day.
Bob
Old 05-13-2009, 08:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FiverBob View Post
I have had Filon on two rigs. One of them I had for about 7 years. After 5 years or so the fibreglass threads started showing bad and would mildew no matter what I put on for a finish. I would have to periodically wash the finish with a strong detergent to remove any wax residue, then wash it down with a rather strong bleach solution. Then, I would repolish and wax. I would sure opt for gelcoat any day.
Bob

Man, your not suppose to sand the finish down to expose the fibers!!

If you keep a good coat of wax on, I think you will not get mildew?!?!

Agree that gel coat is preferred, but filon should not be a deal breaker.
gearman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2009, 09:49 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearman View Post
Man, your not suppose to sand the finish down to expose the fibers!!
If you keep a good coat of wax on, I think you will not get mildew?!?!
Agree that gel coat is preferred, but filon should not be a deal breaker.
Sand the finish???? DUH. Who said that????

Note that I said no matter what I put on it, they still mildewed. This included paste boat wax. Nothing would stop except bleach. I have the same thing on the entry door of my fiver - - hate it. When I have some time, this door is going to be painted.

Course, if everything were perfect, I might have too much time on my hands.
Old 06-29-2009, 08:25 PM   #11

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I am starting to see hairline cracks in the filron on the sides of our Arctic Fox. The cracks are along to top and by the steps. It is a 2003 with over 40K miles towing. I am not sure if this is a problem or not.
Tom
diandtom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 08:21 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
is Kemlite G-III any better?

I just purchased a 2008 Winnebago Access 31c and I'm wondering what I can do to preserve the healthy finish it has right now. The documentation says it has the Kemlite G-III sidewall material. Is Kemlite a type of Filon and is the G-III product any better than the original FRP product? (the one involved in the class-action action)? I've always been a believer in regular paste waxing to keep my vehicles looking like new, does the RV surface require any special products?

Dave & Leanne
2008 Winnebago Access 31c
"Keep the shiny side up"
geardown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #13
JDT

You might want to check with Peterson Industries about the 04 Excel. I don't think they have ever used Filon for the exterior. We have owned 3 of them, a 97, an 00 and our current one. I know our new one is gel coated fiberglass and I think the previous ones were also.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 07:00 AM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
On my last two Filon surfaced tt's I use Gel-Gloss. It's both a cleaner and a wax. They also sell a heavy-duty formula that has a UV protector. I use that on the decal areas. If a person doesn't wax their decals within 3-4 years, one can expect the edges to start peeling and some fading. A 1/2 gallon jug will last me at least 3-4 years.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote