Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-17-2015, 07:23 PM   #1
Generac Impact-34 Plus Problems

I have recently acquired a Generac Impact-34 plus LP generator (Model 0941-1)
I wanted to install it in my Prowler 27 5A. This was just the right size to fit into the front compartment with a few modifications.

I had to rewire the 9 pin plug and the 2 pin plug that goes from the generator to the inverter. Upon completing this and testing the inverter with a static test. (Test 31 in the Manual - Everything tested within spec). This test was completed because the information that I got was the it stopped making AC power. I hooked up everything out side of the trailer and I was getting 120V AC out of the inverter. Running a skilsaw and a few other things to do a load test. This passed with several restarts there after and continued testing.

After completing the mods to the compartment and wiring in a ATS for the shoreline and the GEN i started the generator. After about 45 seconds the generator shut off. I assumed that it was because the 9 pin plug was broken but I did not have time to test it.

I retested the plug and continuity checked out fine.
I rechecked the inverter and everything was fine.

After turning on the generator and testing the inverter on the DC side i assumed that there was no power coming out of the output side. This was not the case. I checked the neutral and hot wire and was getting 220v AC. The inverter fans were not running and the inverter was humming. The side of the output gets really hot and I believe that this is why the generator turns off because the inverter senses over temp.

I tested the Auto Transfer switch and it does not work any more. So looks like the 220v killed it.

So after that long winded explanation up to now I have a few questions and hopefully you guys can help me answer them.

1: What controls the voltage that the inverter puts out
Is it the amount of DC voltage going in? (I did not remember what these values are)

2: Why would the inverter output 220V?

3: could this be a control board problem?

Whatever information you could help provide it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again

Hedchange is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #2

Ok after some more testing.
My mutli meter had a low battery causing the decimal point not to show and was throwing everything off. So the 220V i thought i was reading is actually 22.0V AC
All the static inverter test were OK again
Power supply test from the generator to the inverter was in spec for the circuit breaker off and on.
The 9 wire testing with the generator on and circuit breaker on were all in spec.

The DC voltage coming off of the red blue and black wires were all in spec.
red-blue =375v
black-red = 185V
black- blue = 186V

So I know that all the correct information is getting to the inverter but not sure if the control board is reading it in the generator.

The inverter still only puts out 19-20v AC and the fan does not come on.

-some background on the unit. This came from a camper that is owned by my grandfather. The generator has 78 hours on it and the inverter is new. When they bought the camper the generator had issues with supplying AC so they brought it to a shop and they said the inverter was bad. It was replaced. After being replaced it had worked for 2.5 hours and then it stopped.
My grandfather tried to get it fixed again but the tech said it was not the inverter, that it was good. and that it was something else that is wrong with it.
He took the generator out and replaced it with an onan.
Hedchange is offline   Reply With Quote