Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 09-18-2014, 10:42 AM   #15
Only way to know all that is go online and read and look at the brochures. Most show their framing member as well as the components used. Without calling the specific manufacture and asking them how the walls are fastened to the frame or if they pinch roll or vacuum bond the walls or like Cedar Creek, uses a hung wall then no one on here is going to be able to tell you exactly what you want to hear. I totally understand what you're trying to do, and most RV owners that have owned several RV's and have dealt with issues have a grasp of what the do and don't want in their next RV. It's really impossible to break down how every manufacturer builds their RV's as they all have a different twist on the same procedure.
The only way to know how they're built is to take a tour of the plant.

FWIW here's a video of a vacuu

Here's an Arctic Fox being made. some of the photos are goofy but it still gives you the gest of it.

Cumminsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Here's a video of pinch rolled walls. It's a Lance TT video. The pinch roll process is at 9:40 or so.

Old 09-18-2014, 11:50 AM   #17
The other type of wall is a hung wall. It's hard to find any good videos of a hung wall other than the Jayco corrugated aluminum type.
ForestRiver makes the Cedar Creek and Silverback 5th wheels. They do something different that I think is exclusive to them. Correct me if I'm wrong on that.

They 1st build an aluminum wall like you would for a house. Then the attach the interior paneling to the framing. Not sure how though. They then install fiberglass batt insulation in between the studs. Then they apply Royal Sliapreme adhesive to the studs to hang the fiberglass wall.
Here's a link to the process. You have to open the Back to Basics PDF.
Silverback Fifth Wheel Downloads by Forest River
Old 09-18-2014, 12:03 PM   #18
The original poster asked for our input, a variety of members answered the inquiry.

Which included bona fide direction on how to determine construction methods they included;
Visits to dealerships
RV Shows
Calling the manufacturer
Taking plant tours
talking to other owners
etc, etc

We did that in good faith and that's a pretty comprehensive list - I took insult to Logsends indication that I didn't understand his "articulation".

The fact remains that for under $100,000 they are all pretty much built the same. You will not find a pot of gold under the rainbow at that price point. Using the resources above is hardly buying with a blindfold on.

Adam Hunter
Adam Hunter and Family.
2009 Newmar DutchAire 4330 (The only DA 4330)
2015 F150 SuperCrew Toad
Adam Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #19
The other thing to simplify this topic is you posted this in the 5th wheel section. 98% of all 5th wheel walls are either vacuum bonded or pinch rolled. With the majority being vacuum bonded. That pretty much narrows down one of your questions about wall types. No use looking at hung wall types like Jayco's corrugated aluminum.

It's really a subjective point on wall types. One's not necessarily better than the other as each has it's pro's and con's. Regardless of which type, maintenance is the key factor in reliability. The reason most just say find the floor plan you like is because the difference in wall types are insignificant in 5th wheels. Any manufacturer can screw up the process. By not maintaining the wall properly it won't matter how well it's made.

As far as roofing goes. In 5'ers it's really IIRC down to just two types EPDM and TPO.
Once again subjective.
Where the Rubber Meets the Roof | RV PRO
Old 09-18-2014, 03:34 PM   #20
A common theme in all the videos posted above is that those guys and gals really blow-and-go! That cleaning lady in the last of the Arctic Fox video is really moving...makes it easy to see how small things can be missed.

2002 Holiday Rambler 30RKD
2000 F250 diesel extended cab short bed
2014 Demco Autoslide 18K
Timay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 03:48 PM   #21
Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Originally Posted by logsend View Post
No I don't want the information from the people building the particular rv, I got plenty of that at Hershey. I'm looking for information in general on how it's built starting with the framing all the way to the roof. I want to know about the ins and outs of construction so that when a dealer is talking to me about why this frame system is better or this wall style is best, I'll know what he's talking about. Someone trying to sell me a product is going to tell me what works best for them and that may or may not be the truth of the matter. It just amazes me how hard real unbiased information is to come by in this industry.
You will find the same thing true about RV forums, there are a lot of RV expert wannabes.
wandering1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 04:58 PM   #22
When we found our new unit I never heard of the Heartland RV manufacturer.
Over night I had to decide about the purchase we were about to make. All info I required was available on the manufacturer web site. And after reading many comments by owners on the owner's forum. I was completely informed about the unit I was about to buy.
After 5 years and 40k miles of travel with our unit, everything about our unit is exactly the way I was informed the first night.
There are many RV companies that have come and gone. But the ones that do have the initiative and the will to make better and more affordable units will grow.
The best method of making these units is still evolving because some companies are not just using old methods but better more advanced methods of delivering a great product.
Barbara and Laurent, Hartland Big Country 3500RL. 39 ft long and 15500 GVW.
2005 Ford F250 SD, XL F250 4x4, Long Box, 6.0L Diesel, 6 Speed Stick, Hypertech Max Energy for Fuel mileage of 21 MPusG empty, 12.6 MPusG pulling the BC. ScangaugeII for display..
caissiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:28 AM   #23
Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU!!!! That is exactly the type of stuff I was looking for Cumminsfan!!!!

I don't know if it's because I'm female or if it's just the way the salespeople are but every time my dh walks away the sales guy will start talking to me about all the build aspects and I'm scrambling to try and understand what he is saying. I then have to go back over it with my dh and try to remember everything the guy said about it. I wanted to understand the terms and points that they make so that I'm not just looking like a deer in the headlights.

Oh thank you so much and I'm sorry if I didn't express what I was looking for clearly enough to begin with. Being new to the whole industry it's hard to put into the 'right' words what information I'm trying to gather.
logsend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2014, 05:43 AM   #24
You can find a manufacturer that you like, easy. But find a dealer you like. If they don't take the time to slow down and explain things to you, then they really don't care, and I wouldn't buy there.

jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote