Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-17-2014, 09:01 PM   #1

General question for 5th wheel owners

We are considering our move up to a 5er. Went to a show this past weekend to begin our search. I didn't just look at the glitter but I was looking all around the outsides and underneath. I saw something that gave me concern and want to know if anyone can give me input. Some of the rigs had the galley in a slide. What I'm concerned about is the water and drain lines folding in and out with the slide. Has anyone experience a problem with these, or can give me some adive as to what to look for please?

We have plenty of time but as I told the wife, this will be our last one and I want to make sure I buy right.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

The hard plumbing like the sink are usually not in the slide. The fridge and stove are connected with flex hose and elec lines that are routed so they don't interfere with the action of the slide. Good. Luck on your search. There are many to choose from. Remember more slides equal more weight and the chance of more problems. Personally 3 slides are enough for me to deal with. Hyd or elec slides they both have thier good and bad points.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:51 PM   #3

We have a FW with the galley in the slide except for the sink, which is in an adjacent island. We had a problem with venting the refrigerator, but that was fixed. The factory made one cut for the regular refrigerator and the optional side by side. We had the regular and vending was an issue until a 1X4 piece of wood and insulation was installed to block outside heat. No water connection or drain in the slide. We have LP to the stove and refrigerator in the slide and neither has been a problem in four years of regular use.
big bird 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:23 AM   #4

Refer, range,micro in slide, zero problems.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:07 AM   #5

Thor Owners Club
My 5er has a galley slide, but the sink is in an island and not in the slide. Most with kitchen slides are done this way from the floor plans I've looked at.
DavisK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:10 AM   #6

I would worry more about where the micro is located. I would want it on an exterior wall so the exhaust fumes will be blow out of the 5'er. The ones with the micro on an interior wall won't get rid as smoke or fumes as well.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:19 PM   #7

New units are loaded.

We saw a new Montana 3850 FL (I think) and not onle was the kitchen sink in the slide, so was the W/D hookup. That just scares me. It seems to me flex water hose would become brittle after time.

Aside from this unit, many of the new 5er's are starting to come standard with residential style refrigerators, which have ice makers and water dispensers. There are things in these new units that I don't like but, these are things I don't trust which is why I am asking the question.

i thank all for the input!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:03 AM   #8
JDT

We had a motorhome for 7 years with the galley in the slide and not one problem. Our current rig has a residential fridge with ice maker in the street side slide. We've used it for 2 full traveling seasons (about 3 months each) and again it has not been an issue. I think this has been done by most manufacturers for so long that you probably won't find many, if any, problems.

The only caveat with ours is with Excel's 10 below zero guarantee. Because the water line to the ice maker runs outside the heated underbelly it is not included in their 10 below policy. Doesn't matter to us because usually by that time it is put to bed for the winter. We did get caught last November with a couple of nights in the teens when we were at Branson. It did not freeze up so there was not a problem.
JDT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:08 PM   #9

Our Hitchhiker has the sink, fridge, stove and MW in the slide 10 years old next month no problems
'17' F350 6.7 CC King Ranch DRW 4x4 4:10s B&W 20 K Companion Hitch
'04' NuWa 33.5 RLTG DA Demco GlideRide pin box
Stickdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

In three years, I've never had anyone bring me a water line to fix in a slide. All the lines are kept inside, and really don't have issues nearly as much as you're psyching yourself out.
jesilvas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014, 03:52 PM   #11

We had sink, fridge with water dispenser and ice maker, dishwasher - everything in the slide and zero problems ever. I would only be concerned if it was a unit from a cheap a$$ manufacturer with a reputation.
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 07:15 AM   #12

Full wall slide with sink, stove, fridge, dishwasher, washer dryer in the slide. No issues with any connections.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:39 PM   #13

Thanks

Thanks to all those that submitted their experiences. We are not in a rush since our unit is in excellent shape, but we are certainly looking. This information helps me from eliminating any units with this feature (as long as it is a quality manufacturer as was asserted!)

iRV2 has been extremely helpful to me on many levels but one can't forget, it's the people that make it a great asset.

Thanks again!
Old 04-06-2014, 01:28 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
I would worry more about where the micro is located. I would want it on an exterior wall so the exhaust fumes will be blow out of the 5'er. The ones with the micro on an interior wall won't get rid as smoke or fumes as well.
If your microwave is smoking you're using it wrong, lol!
SultanGris is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel