Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-06-2012, 03:39 PM   #1

Generator

I am having issues about running my 1500 watt microwave with my generator. I own a 3000 watt Honda cyclometer. The microwave bogs down immediately. Everything else works fine including the a/c. I tried a 4500 watt generator and it worked fine. Anyone else ever see this happen?
Andyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-06-2012, 04:17 PM   #2

Not sure what microwave you have but the wattage run from 600 to 1100 on various models. With no other load applied and a 1100 watt microwave on high there isn't much power left.
CHCam42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 05:43 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
A 3000 watt generator should run the microwave. I am not sure what model generator you have. Some microwaves are not happy with some less expensive generators and need a purer sine wave generator.

I have never heard of the model you mentioned.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2012, 07:11 PM   #4

After reading my own thread, I realized I gave out wrong info. The generator I have is a Honda EB3000C cycloconverter. These are popular on construction sites due to their light weight which is 68 lbs. I am thinking the issue may be with the sine wave. However I am very willing to hear other thoughts. The microwave is a Magic Chef brand. It works perfect on ac voltage.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Andy, I know that my daughters electronic control washer will not run on my construction grade generator, but will run on an EU2000i generator. Do you know anyone with the EU series Hondas?

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 01-06-2012, 08:08 PM   #6

No sir, I don't know of any owners but I will certainly ask around. Thank you so much with your response. That sounds like my best option at this point. I have never seen anyone else use this particular type of generator while camping. Now I know why. Thanks again.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:53 AM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfan View Post
I have never seen anyone else use this particular type of generator while camping. Now I know why.
Well, I still don't understand why, except that the EB3000c is a cheaper Honda with a list price of $1530.
Honda Power Equipment - EB3000c

If you need 3000 watts for work, go with an EU3000i Handi. It weighs 10 pounds more than the EB3000c and costs a lot more with MSRP of $2600. But it will do the job right.
http://powerequipment.honda.com/prod...lid=EU3000iHAN

I have an EU2000i that does all sorts of wonderful things for such a small, quiet, lightweight generator. It now has a list price of $1150. But don't let that 2000 number fool you. It has 2000 watts max to start an electric motor, but only 1,600 watts for continuous operation. However it will power the microwave in my RV if nothing else is turned on at the same time.
Honda Power Equipment - EU2000i

But for the big jobs I also have a big, heavy, battery-start EM5000S Honda generator. The big one is perfect to power my RV, but probably too big and heavy to be suitable for your use.
Honda Power Equipment - EM5000S
Grumpy ole man with over 60 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7'x16' 5,000-pound flatbed utility trailer, my tow vehicle is a 2019 F-150 Lariat 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCab with Max Tow (1,904 pounds payload capacity).
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 08:30 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Best place I found on the net for Honda EU series was Wise Equipment...
Honda Generators - Yamaha Generator - WiseSales.com

Ken
Old 01-07-2012, 10:16 AM   #9

The sole purpose of me having a generator is for our new love of camping. We are still on a major learning curve. So you can imagine the disappointment when we discovered our generator wasn't exactly the correct one for camping. I wish I had done more research. I also wish I could trade in my EB3000C for an EU3000I. I am not sure If a Honda dealer will do that.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:49 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andyfan View Post
The sole purpose of me having a generator is for our new love of camping.
Then here's another alternative. The Honda inverter generators can be tied together to combine the output. For example, two EU200i can be tied together to produce 4,000 watts surge or 3,200 watts continuous.
Honda EU2000i Combo Package Generators WiseSales.com
I didn't check Wise's price, but even if you have to pay MSRP at $1,150 each, that's $2,300 total for two of them. Plus the magic parallel cable is pricy at over $100. But then you can use one of the generators most of the time, and plug in the second one only when running something that requires it, such as an AC in the summertime, or when Darling Wife insists on using a curling iron, hair dryer, microwave oven, and coffee maker all at the same time.

In the cooler months when AC is not needed, one EU2000i will power the furnace all night for about a gallon of gasoline. And those puppies are really quiet so your campground neighbors won't complain about the noise.

On edit: Here's the Honda sales pitch.
Honda Power Equipment - Honda Generators - Parallel Capability
Notice you can tie two ordinary EU2000i generators together with a "kit" that includes a 30-amp RV plug. Or Honda makes a special EU2000i that's intended to be used only as the second generator in a pair of EU-2000i generators. That companion generator includes the 30-amp plug needed to plug in most RV trailers to get 30 amp capacity.

And if you have a huge RV with 50-amp juice, then you need two EU3000i generators tied together with the special kit that includes the 50-amp plug.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 02:06 PM   #11

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
But if its a problem with the sine wave output then paralleling them probably won't help either.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:11 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
The EU series Hondas are inverter type generators and they sync the current perfectly. I regularly run my shortwave radios off the Honda Eu's as do many other Hams.

Wise offers a package deal on the regular, EU2000i and the companion with the parallel kit and 30 amp RV adapter plug.

I just had mine out today for an exercise run and ran the heat pump for about an hour.

Just be sure and drain the carb after you run the generator(s).

Ken
Old 01-07-2012, 06:13 PM   #13

What was the total load on the genset when the microwave would not run? Keep in mind the Honda 3000 does not produce 3000 watts continuously. I think the continuous output is 2,600 watts.
Unless you are locked in to owning a Honda, take a look at the Boliy pro 3600SI, which has a continuous output of 3,000 watts, and is electric-start. Usually one gets exactly what they paid for.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 08:51 PM   #14

I am not sure that a microwave needs 'pure sine wave' power--I have run them with an Onan, a Generac and a 2000 watt inverter powered by my truck. I think you have some other problem other than the generator. Could you borrow someone else's gen to try?
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote