Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-25-2010, 10:55 PM   #1

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Generator connection on a new fifth wheel

I have a 3KW Generator that I got from Pep Boys a few years back. I had it on our old fifth wheel and it was connected to the power cord to the fifth wheel. We now have a Cameo that has generator prep for a Onan generator. The RV tech showed me the junction box where the Onan would be wired to. I am wonder if I can connect the 3kw that I have to the junction box ? I have used this generator about three times with to old fiver. It would run the AC and the microwave. I am not ready to pay big bucks for a generator I will hardly use. It is nice to have when stopping for lunch on a hot day.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2010, 12:47 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It depends on the junction baox connection. On my 5vr they actually installed an outlet for me to plug the regular cord into. They also had to hard wire the generator into a junction box that took the power back to that box. So it all depends how the factory performed the Generator Prep on your 5vr.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:57 PM   #3

There is a potential problem with portable generators. If the genny and converter are both GFCI protected the breaker will trip, an electrician should be able to solve the problem.
Old 03-14-2010, 06:29 PM   #4

I can't tell from your post, so if I give uneeded advice, just ignore it. There is a possibility that you are thinking about putting your portable in the compartment where the factory made a place for a generator. That would be a mistake. Built-in generators have internal fans designed to route fresh cooling air from the outside through the generator and out the bottom. Their exhausts are also designed for compartment use. Portables have none of that. Putting a portable in a compartment (even one with a screen) will cause the portable to run much warmer than normal and the potential for melting it down is high. Also, the gas tank on the portable is vented and will vent into the compartment. Do you really want a gas tank, a hot engine and a source of sparks in your compartment? Because the exhaust system on a portable is not designed for a compartment, you are at risk for killing your occupants with carbon monoxide. CO is tricky and can leak through very small openings into the living area.

If you want to use the factory compartment wiring, make a "snake" to plug between the portable (outside) and the generator compartment. Yes, you will have to heft the generator, but that's one of the prices of going on the "cheap."
Old 03-22-2010, 06:54 PM   #5

DonW5IT, posted drawings of his modification so he can run his truckbed genset while driving. I think this was about 4-5 years ago, if the irv2 search engine goes back that far. He installed a shore-power receptacle near the pinbox and used a RV cord between genset and 5er.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:38 PM   #6

Seems to me, it would be just as simple to wire an outlet onto your generator and just plug your shore power into that if you're going to mount it in the trk bed or set it on the ground. Don't mount the gen in your trailer for obvious safety reasons,Gas fumes,carbon mono,heat, vibration,noise,etc..
Old 08-16-2010, 05:19 PM   #7

Workhorse Chassis Owner
diantom,
We had a Travel Trailer prior to our Trek. We mounted a 3Kw generator on the back bumper/sewage hose holder. A bracket was fashioned in such a way so that the hose holder didn't bear the weight of the generator but was bolted to the frame of the TT and ran under the hose holder/bumper. Cost us $150.00. It didn't upset the balance of the TT. I would look seriously about putting your portable on the rear bumper/hose holder of the fifth wheel. Previously we added a generator to an interior compartment of a fifth wheel trailer but it was not a portable generator but one designed for an interior compartment.. And it costs a lot lot more. ATVr has the idea.

Have fun.
Milt
Old 08-17-2010, 12:57 PM   #8

POPUSCDDS has a good idea, but if you have a low slung rv or excessivel long over hang,be sure to reinforce the frame and raise it high enough you don't drag it. I've seen some TT's with the frame actually drooping in the rear and others with skids or wheels to aid in exiting/entering some locations. I put a Hitch on my 5er to haul my boat and had to add xtra bracing for the tongue weight and I only have about 100 lbs on the tongue. If a rough road catches you by surprise, you can get some severe up and down motion from the rear of the trlr. Unusual, but it has happened to me. I had a 36" LCD HDMI TV thrown from the wall mount going up I 55 just north of Jackson, Mississippi. Good luck which ever way you decide!!
Old 08-18-2010, 05:58 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Generator

Dianetom.
Remind me while at MB to show you how I mounted & use my honda 3000. We are on site HH 13

George

Old 08-23-2010, 11:46 PM   #10

Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
I did mount the generator in the front compartment, but it is on a slide and I slide it out when in use. I also have a vent to the compartment to vent gas fumes away. The exhaust is also directed outside. I am almost finished with a cross country with the fiver and we used it once during this trip. When I get home I am going to remove it as I don't need the weight and can use the space for more storage. Like I said we do not dry camp and it for occasional use. I have found out on a stop for lunch the front AC does not cool very much and we did not use the microwave. I wired to the white and black wires and a ground. I did not use the red wire and found out the ceiling fan, tv and main AC are wired to the red wire.