Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-14-2015, 01:09 PM   #15

It is not easy to find gasoline when the power is out in a wide area and the stations cannot pump gas. We ran into that situation in College Park, MD several years ago and had a difficult time finding gas to run our Honda portable (it took us 3 hours to find a station with power). Now we have an onboard propane generator and we have a couple of 20 lb tanks that we could exchange if necessary.
jpharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-15-2015, 07:36 AM   #16

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpharley View Post
It is not easy to find gasoline when the power is out in a wide area and the stations cannot pump gas. We ran into that situation in College Park, MD several years ago and had a difficult time finding gas to run our Honda portable (it took us 3 hours to find a station with power). Now we have an onboard propane generator and we have a couple of 20 lb tanks that we could exchange if necessary.
Sure there are extenuating circumstance on rare occasions. Try running one on propane for 96 hours straight in 100 degree weather. I have done this with my gas Onan 5500, many times at races in my previous toy hauler. In the TH, I just had to make one run a day to the nearest gas station, to fill some gas cans. I no longer have to do that with the MH.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2015, 08:45 AM   #17

Good points made by all. I'm considering adding a diesel generator to our 5er we're ordering next fall. I know it's heavy and expensive but it will mostly be for boondocking and emergencies when power is lost at campgrounds or when traveling from one location to another. I will also have solar panels on top. Since I'm going to have a diesel TV I feel having just one type of fuel for the TV and generator makes sense for me. Another idea I playing with is to have an Aqua Hot system added. That way everything is diesel. I'll have an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the TV. My version of all electric.

Just ideas I'm playing with. I don't know budget wise if I can pull this off but it's worth a serious look.

TJ
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 06:58 AM   #18

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TJ911 View Post
Good points made by all. I'm considering adding a diesel generator to our 5er we're ordering next fall. I know it's heavy and expensive but it will mostly be for boondocking and emergencies when power is lost at campgrounds or when traveling from one location to another. I will also have solar panels on top. Since I'm going to have a diesel TV I feel having just one type of fuel for the TV and generator makes sense for me. Another idea I playing with is to have an Aqua Hot system added. That way everything is diesel. I'll have an auxiliary fuel tank in the bed of the TV. My version of all electric.

Just ideas I'm playing with. I don't know budget wise if I can pull this off but it's worth a serious look.

TJ
Now that's thinking outside the box. It would be great if you can pull it off. The aqua Hot would be very expensive to retro. How would you plan to get the diesel from the tank to the RV?
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2015, 07:57 AM   #19

I'm considering putting in a small fuel tank in what was the propane storage area. I could then either use a small electrical pump from the auxiliary tank in the back of the TV or fill a jery can and transfer the fuel to the 5fers tank.

If i can pull this off I plan on adding the Aqua Hot as the 5er is being build. That way it's a clean installation with access for maintenance.

TJ
TJ911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2015, 03:35 PM   #20

Although much bigger than you would need ,,, for a TT or 5th,, Cabella's has a Champion 7500/9500 genny on sale right now for $699... Free shipping... And yes it comes with a 30Amp RV plug... Trying to talk DW into it for home backup (we need a 240 volt genny to run the well) and also would travel with us when we sell the mh and get a TT or 5th....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2015, 07:50 PM   #21

Monkey, I have one close to that size as a whole house generator. Nice to have that kind of reserve power, but I suspect you may find the size and weight a problem if you plan on carrying it in your 5er. Those are bulky and heavy. Unless you have a lot more room in your basement than I do in my Montana, it may not fit, and if it does you will have to take the wheel kit off so it doesn't break free on the road and take out your plumbing. I also have reservations about it fitting in the compartment behind the fifth wheel. In the past I was always of the opinion that bigger is better. Now that age has caught up with me, my gut is bigger and my muscles smaller, I have re thought that position.

Neverhome
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 12:11 PM   #22

Neverhome, Good points. I'd plan to keep it in the bed of the truck. We don't really 'boondock', or dry camp, but would only use it for emergencies. I too am too old to be lifting a 220lb genny, so I'd make a hoist in the garage to get it in and out of the truck. Guess my only concern at this point would be is there room in a short bed pickup for that and a 5th wheel hitch... Mainly it would be used as power for the sticks and bricks. Monkey
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2015, 08:18 PM   #23

I have read on this forum where some have installed a bumper hitch on the rear of the 5er and put the genny on a carrier rack that can be inserted into the hitch. Would only have to lift it on and off once at the start and end of each season. Shouldn't be too hard to find a helping hand. I have a full 8' bed and am not sure if mine would even fit there with the hitch. I am pretty sure it will fit in the front compartment under the king pin with a bracket in the compartment to bolt it to so it won't slide and take out the battery and hydraulic system for the slides. My fall back position to either place to carry it would be a bumper hitch carrier tray like I proposed for the back of the 5er. Come to think of it, that may be an option for you too. They only run a couple of hundred dollars, don't require having to lift the genny very high and won't put any stress on the rear of the 5er. If there is room between the truck and the camper it should work.

Neverhome.
Neverhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 06:47 PM   #24

Several years ago EVERYONE in our county was without electricity for anywhere from a few hours to three weeks due to an ice storm. A year or two later I bought a $2000 generator and built a $20,000 garage to keep it in. That generator weighed about 500 pounds, but would handle the house a/c and more importantly, the well. It had a 50A outlet on it.

When we were considering a towable, I thought about mounting it on the truck. Since we went with a MH that has a built-in generator I sold that gas one. Since it sounds like you want to have some MH-like amenities in your 5'er, I'd suggest that you research getting a diesel-powered generator that can handle a 50A load and mount it on your truck. Of course, you are talking quite a bit of money here, not to mention work, but if that's what you wand/need, that's what you have to do.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator