Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-23-2014, 11:57 PM   #1

Generator fuel?

I haven't been on in a while although I have a older 1992 Teton 5er that we are remodeling. I took a well deserved break from it so I could focus more on my small auto shop. But now it is winter and the shop will slow down for a month and I am back to the fifth wheel.
I bought this fifth wheel mainly because it was the project I wanted for the luxury and size. One of its greatest selling points was that it had a new $8000.00 Kwyatt 7.0 kw gen set . And it is propane. My problem is that it consumes more propane than exxon can make. I mean like 2-2.5 gal. a hr.
I have 4 bottles,2 on both sides , 2 are for the gen set and it empties them in under 8 hours. This cannot be realistic? I was stressing about .14 cents a kw at home.. Geee wizzz.
I did a little research, found the engine is a governed at 2500 rpm and it is a Daihatsu model ED.. I was going to replace the engine for a diesel or something. Then it occurred to me that it may have a carburetor/propane adapter .. And it sure did. I removed the carb. It is new and complete.
Here is my question.. Can I put gasoline to this gen set? If so is there a reason they used propane? And is there any downsides to using gasoline?
Other than it is cheaper and I can carry 50gal tank in my diesel?
Sorry for the long story,
Jon

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-24-2014, 02:33 AM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
To convert propane engine to a gasoline engine, I believe you will have to buy a conversion kit. The conversion kit usually comes with an instructional booklet. Then you will need an electric fuel pump to get the gas from the tank to the carb. and finally some high pressure gas line. The tank will need to be secured to the bed to prevent it from moving while you re driving around.

If you do this conversion I hope you get the results you are looking for, My 7K gas generator chews up 2 gallons per hour, from my estimates anyway.

Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 03:02 AM   #3

Thank you,
I was wondering what the usage would be. And the conversion to mine is that it is a 3 cylinder with a carb. and a small aluminum cup on the back of the carb. The propane flows through the back of the carb and it runs. The carb also has a 12 volt fuel shut off switch for gasoline. So it may be possible to use either fuel it looks . I will have to post a photo to show the complete thing.
Old 11-24-2014, 04:04 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Can you convert it from Propane to Gasoline: YES, You will need a different carb and a fuel pump but that's about it (And a fuel tank)

Why use Propane? Two reasons: First, and least, though there are dozens of posters who want to get rid of their RV fridge because propane is so dangerous.. To be honest Gasoline is more dangerous still. yet these same people think nothing of re-fueling their gasoline powered cars by themselves.. (One of the reasons porpane is safer is pump jockies have training).

The second reason is propane is what you have,,

I do agree, that puppy us sucking a lot of propane.. My Onan 5500 sucks less than a gallon of gasoline per hour.

Oh, One more thing: Propane is cleaner.. If you convert to Gasoline you may wish to install a Gen-Turi exhaust extension to get the fumes up up and away cause those fumes can kill you if they get inside the RV.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:19 PM   #5

Well mine has a carb. and a propane round aluminum thing that goes to the back of it with a rubber boot. The governor is hooked to the carb. Just a hour ago I hooked a small 3lb. fuel pump to it wired the fuel shut off switch and it runs perfectly.
Problem I think is that the fumes are kinda ugly.
I called Dometic and after several tries they found a guy that knew something about the generator. He said some models had been fitted for dual fuel. My model shows it to be one of them. He said they only connected the fuel source available.
He also stated that it was made to use 2 fuels but not at the same time.
So it can be used on propane and then switched to gasoline. Although they never did this at dometic because humans could mess it up and possibly hurt themselves.
There wasn't a switch available then that would safely guarantee the 2 fuels wouldn't mix. Right now I am burning about 1 gallon a hour of gasoline , It ran 40 min on a bbq (13lb) can of propane. I think I am going to look more into seeing if the lines/regulator/diffuser or etc. is bad. It has to do better on propane. It is better on the nose .
Old 11-24-2014, 10:31 PM   #6
KIX

The propane system on your gen is likely a demand type system, It sucks the propane vapor from the vaporizer rather than the vaporizer "pushing" the propane to the gen. The vaporizer should be rebuildable. If you're sure your propane system is leak free I would suggest a vaporizer rebuild. They are pretty simple.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:43 PM   #7

That is where I am confused. This is more like the early systems on automotive conversion systems. It has the 2 tanks,regulator then vaporizer then piped to a fitting on the back of the carb. I am going to upload photos now.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:09 PM   #8

2014-11-24223452.jpg Photo by jonbrown725 | Photobucket

20141124_223100.jpg Photo by jonbrown725 | Photobucket

2014-11-24223711.jpg Photo by jonbrown725 | Photobucket

2014-11-24223531.jpg Photo by jonbrown725 | Photobucket

What isnt shown is the diffuser bolted to the back of the generator.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:22 PM   #9
KIX

That carb looks vaguely familiar but then again.........
I still think the vaporizer is where the problem is. No pics of vaporizer.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:29 PM   #10

I dont think the vaporizer has ever been serviced. The carb is a Mikuni , spell check that. Simmilar to motorcycle type. The engine a a 850 cc toyota/daihatsu .
I think my best bet is to go ahead and rebuild the lines and vaporizer,
Yet if possible I am going to find a safe place to mount a 20 gallon fuel cell and keep both options.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:33 PM   #11

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
We had a propane gen set in our first Dutch Star (6.2 KW Genajunk). In 5 days in 90 weather we went through two 10 gallon tanks and most of our onboard 40 gal (32 usable) tanks.
I vowed to never again have a propane generator and we haven't. Our Power Tech 8.0Kw unit burns .72 gallons of diesel an hour at full load. (Kubota 3 cyl engine at a constant 1,800 rpm).
If you use a gen set much then I'd sure look into a diesel unit if at all possible!
But that's an expensive change over and probably not logical for a TT or 5th wheel.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:56 AM   #12

Hello Mr D ,
I was actually looking into a few used diesel gen sets, The prices arent bad and I have 150 gal of diesel on the back of the truck. I do wonder about the smell of that ?
But a diesel @ .72 gal sounds pretty efficient.
I dont really think I will be dry camping much but with the rebuild I would like it if the fifth wheel could stand alone. Over the weekend our power went out in a storm and having the genset was helpful. The power was back on in 2 hours but I couldnt believe the amount of fuel it consumed. It is however powerful enough to run the 2 a/c and everything else without a flicker. I need to test further this weekend to see what the fuel rate is on it using gasoline, running everything.
Old 11-26-2014, 04:01 PM   #13
KIX

Theoretically speaking, propane consumption should be 10 - 12% more than gasoline all other things being equal.
Old 11-27-2014, 12:11 PM   #14

Why do you need such a big generator? I would be more inclined to sell that one and buy a smaller lpg unit if you want to install it. Biggest problem with gasoline is folks don't run them enough, lpg is more forgiving in that respect.

Tags
fuel, generator