Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-04-2016, 05:37 PM   #1

Generators Help

I am looking for generators, but not sure how many watts in need to run say, TV, fridge, microwave? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
wwenstad1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-04-2016, 06:39 PM   #2

Besides watts,, tell us where you'll mount it and what kind of fuel will you use.

CLIFFORD
clifford j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 07:43 PM   #3

The big load in your list is the microwave.

I run my small microwave on a 1600 watt Honda eu2000. That is with the fridge and TV running.

The fridge and TV will run on 600 watts. It may not be be enough if you run a charger for your battery.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 08:53 PM   #4
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
You need to check everything that you might run on 110v. Add up the wattage of all those appliances and you will have the size of the generator you will need. Bear in mind that is is very rare that all those appliances would be operating at the same time. You did not say what type of vehicle you have, so the mount and type of generator can't be recommended. Diesel and Gas are your best choices. If this is to be a genny run outside as with a trailer I see a lot of Hondas being used. They are efficient and quiet.

Good luck!
TonyDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 09:23 PM   #5

I use a Honda Companion 2000 and an EU2000 that are connected using a parallel cable giving me a total of 4000 watts/26.6 Amps (max) when both generators are running. I have them mounted to a platform with tie-downs in the front of my truck bed allowing me to plug in the trailer when stopped.
My concern when I purchased the generators was being able to run 1 AC which this setup does well. This also give me the option of only running the Companion during cooler weather when I don't need the AC (and it's high Amp requirement); this runs any of my other appliances and keeps my battery charged. Most important it keeps my heater fan running at full speed. I just track the Amps and if necessary switch my refrigerator and H/W heater to propane to ensure I don't exceed the generator output/trip the breaker. Hope this helps.
Bill.Vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #6

I am using a Champion 3000i. It powers everything, but not all at once.
DTG173 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:07 AM   #7

What fridge? What microwave? Is it also a convection oven? How much power do they draw? All electrical appliances are labelled. Do you also need to run the AC? Will you shed loads or do they need to run concurrently?

Same here, I use a champion 3100 when I need to leave the dog behind and run the AC.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:30 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
TV Fridge and Microwave 2,000 watts. NOTE: the Honda EU-2000i is NOT 2,000 watts (but shoudl do it) the Yahama EF-2400i IS a 2,000 watt generator.

If you want one A/C you need 3,000 to 35000 watts, again you want that letter i at the end of the model number.

For two A/C's 5,000 watts. always inverter models.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:22 PM   #9

Looking around a CG you will see that most of us get along just fine, without running A/C, using gennys like the Honda 2000.

Having an idea of what uses how man watts helps. When dry camping part of the setup routine for us is to turn the circuit breakers for the waterheater & fridge OFF. The fridge does not pull much from the battery bank & there is no need to have the waterheater on until 20 minutes or so before needing hot water.

Things like TVs, cellphone chargers use very little power. The microwave, toaster, coffee maker, hair drier, anything that produces heat eat wattage. Having more than one on at a time might overload the genny & shut it down.

It is all about available power management.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:56 AM   #10

Generators

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwenstad1 View Post
I am looking for generators, but not sure how many watts in need to run say, TV, fridge, microwave? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Suggest you go to: hondapowerequipment.com

Click on generators and find wattage calculator on left side and determine what your needs are

C.B..
C.B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2016, 08:58 AM   #11

yep

I went with the twin Yamaha 2000, not having a gas gauge was the deciding factor for me over the Hondas. That one feature dose come in handy.
BSHGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #12

Generator Solution

I've attached a picture of the 2 Honda 2000i generators that we keep semi-permanently mounted in the front of our long bed tow vehicle. We choose to use 2 generators running in parallel rather that a larger (heavier) unit due to the weight (about 47 pounds each). Between the generators is an extended run tank that holds 6 gallons and connects to each special generator cap using quick connect fuel hose. I use the 30 amp extension cord in the picture to plug into the 5th wheel. A retractable step on either side of the truck bed allow me to start them from each truck side. The retractable bed cover protects them from the weather and secures them when the 5th Wheel is not connected. A security cable deters thieves when 5th wheel is connected with the locked in place cover partially open. We manage our Amp usage and do not run high draw appliances (AC and Microwave) at the same time. We once ran these continuously (with periodic oil checks - none used) for 36 hours in a Wyoming truck stop when they closed I 80 due to a blizzard. Also, we routinely stop for several hours at rest stops and are able to enjoy the AC, while I take a nap. We've been using this setup for over 3 years now; no issues, easy to start and very quiet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Generators.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	337.3 KB
ID:	119134  
Bill.Vannuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2016, 09:40 PM   #13

Hondas with external tanks are extremely popular, there were hundreds of them running for a week in Oshkosh.
marcham is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator