Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #15

If you are not careful you could end up like this:

garym114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-03-2011, 11:57 AM   #16

That's why you can't use the regular pumps at most places. No room to make the turn. At one, the DW had to get out and stop cars from pulling in front of the store so I could get out.

Old 09-03-2011, 01:39 PM   #17

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Got a question for ya'll, since we haven't traveled in the east yet. Don't you have regular stations, not truckstops, to get diesel fuel from on your travels?

Out west, I never use a truckstop for fuel. I've always been able to the fuelup at a station, usually less than a mile off the freeway for less than a truckstop.

Just askin'???

Regards, Hamshog
Here in Pa. a lot of smaller local stations have diesel pumps but many of them you cannot get to when pulling a 5er. I will usually only travel a tank of fuel a day. By then I had enough driving anyway. I'll set up the 5er for the nite and take the truck to fuel up for the next day. It's just a lot less hassel that way.
Old 09-03-2011, 01:54 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Last time I filled up at a flying/Pilot they took the rewards card at the truck pumps. Yes here in the East there are several stations that handle Diesel, in Chattanooga most are on the outside. The problem is that sometimes the lanes are pointed at the station and it is hard to turn around. I installed a 50 gal. Transfer Flow in the bed of the truck and with the main having 29 gal. I can wait until we stop for the night and unhook then go fill up if I need to.
Old 09-03-2011, 05:13 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
I would carry a funnel for your truck when filling up at the semi truck island. I believe that the GMC/Chevy fuel tank spot is design for a gas pump, not a high speed diesel pump that the semi's truck use.
My Dodge and all other Ram truck will except the larger truck high speed filler nozzle.
Owned both a ford and gmc since 2002, both can drink from the truck island pumps no problem (yes, at full delivery rate).

Both trucks were long beds...
Old 09-03-2011, 06:20 PM   #20

As long as you play by the rules they do not mind here in PA.
Was at a Flying J and a pickup from NY decided he would not wait and fliped around to go in the back side as he could not back the gooseneck to get into a open pump. Well another 18 came in and parked about 1 foot away from him and there was a box truck on his right. I did not see him get out but I bet it was interesting. It was obvious there was in and out. I wonder if he learned anything.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:41 AM   #21

as to fueling on the east coast, we have found the Next Exit to be very helpful in locating rv friendly fuel stops. also shows all the rv friendly walmarts, doesn't mean they will let you stay overnight.
Old 09-04-2011, 06:51 AM   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
We will normally use the truck pumps - our Ram Cummins pickups have always taken the big rig nozzles with no problems.

If you use the truck lanes, you're expected to observe the trucker's etiquette. The big rig drivers are not playing around - they're trying to make a living, so don't hold them up. When you get to the pump, fuel up and get out of there. If you have to go inside to pay, pull forward so that the big rig behind you can get to the pump as soon as you're finished. If you're going to shop or eat, go park in the truck/RV/bus parking area.

It gets very frustrating pulling up behind an RV and finding it unmanned, only to find that the RVer has parked it at the diesel pump and is in the restaurant eating lunch.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 07:47 AM   #23

Monaco Owners Club
my pilot/flying J RV card will usually start the trucker pump. scan the card, scan my CC, fuel, and leave.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:51 AM   #24

Winnebago Owners Club
Coastal Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Somewhere, on here I think, there was an adaptor for going from the big nozzles to the little holes....
This it? McCuff® "No Splash, No Spill, Motorcycle Fill" Everyone Wants One! No Clicking Nozzles! More Miles from Tank! Top-Off Gas Tank EZ, Unique Motorcycle Biker Gift Birthdays, Christmas! Gas up your motorcycle with ease! Avoid Gas Spillage. Not really designed for diesel pumps but I think someone posted they use it for them.

We are lucky enough to have large fuel fills on the MH and one on each side so we can pull up to whatever side is open. Why can't the automotive industry standardize what side the tank fills from? One of our cars is on the right all the others on the left.
HD4Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 09:48 AM   #25

Pond Piggies Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Judging from the website and video, I'd say no as their examples show the adapter only being used on a normal sized, gasoline pump nozzle. Since truck diesel pump nozzles are larger in circumference, I seriously doubt that the McCuff would slide over one without being damaged in the process.

As long as I don't fill at "full throttle", I've never had a problem fueling with the larger nozzle on either of the two diesel (Ford & GMC) pickups I've owned. Also, anyone who has owned their vehicle for awhile generally knows approximately how many gallons of fuel they're going to pump. When I start to get close to capacity, I slow the rate of delivery, put my ear close to the fuel filler, listen for when the fuel starts coming up the filler pipe and stop pumping when I notice it. I rarely have any overflow issues.
Frank P. Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 10:35 PM   #26

Quote:
Got a question for ya'll, since we haven't traveled in the east yet. Don't you have regular stations, not truck stops, to get diesel fuel from on your travels?

Out west, I never use a truck stop for fuel. I've always been able to the fuelup at a station, usually less than a mile off the freeway for less than a truck stop.

Just askin'???

Regards, Hamshog
Not all regular fuel stations have diesel and you can't be sure if you can fit your rig! That includes exits off the interstate. I guess thats why books like the NEXT EXIT and using truck stops or service plaza's is pretty common in the East.
Old 09-14-2011, 01:57 AM   #27

Quote:
Got a question for ya'll, since we haven't traveled in the east yet. Don't you have regular stations, not truckstops, to get diesel fuel from on your travels?

Out west, I never use a truckstop for fuel. I've always been able to the fuelup at a station, usually less than a mile off the freeway for less than a truckstop.

Just askin'???

Regards, Hamshog
I'd run into low overhead clearance at more than one off highway fuel stop,west and east, when I towed a 5th., nice to have the 100gal tank for crusing now, except when the bill comes in. only need fuel every 2nd day on the road.
Gives lots of choices and a chance to check "Gas Buddies" for prices.
Old 09-14-2011, 12:24 PM   #28

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Many use the truck isles.. Many.. I will caution you about it however.

Some states (I know one for sure but I do not like to name them becuse... Well, In truth I know one for sure, suspect another but have not researched) have bought into the "Soak the businessman" theory of taxing, Truckers are business people and thus they charge a much higher tax on fuel sold at the truck pumps.

SOME stations, and Flying-J/Pilot are NORMALLY among them.. Will give you the RV rate no matter what pump you use, (You may have to go to the fuel desk to pay the lower price) but not all are set up to do that... Some you would have to file a request for reimbursement with the state treasury.

So, beware the tax jerk.

By the way,,, What happens when they "Soak the businessman" Well in the old days he's 2.5 the tax and add it to the price tag.. Today it's more like 3.5 less the truck is hauling booze then it's more like 5.0.

Tags
fuel