Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-02-2011, 01:35 PM   #1

getting fuel

we are new owners of a crossroad cruiser 32 foot fifth. We took a trip from south carolina to tennessee, close to kentucky border and found some difficulties getting diesel for our truck. We tried to get fuel
at Flying J or pilot gas stations. We had trouble when we saw they put the diesel pumps in the middle of the pumps isle. Instead of the outer part of the pumps. We could not get diesel there as there was no room to pull thru and not take out cars in the process.
I was wondering if anyone gets fuel where the big semi's fuel? This is usually in the back of the station/store. And what advise could anyone give me on getting fuel while traveling. It can be pretty scarey when you know its time for fuel and your not sure if your going to be able to get pulled in and get out without an incident.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20110827_2.jpg
Views:	146
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	13497  
rachael is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:50 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Flying J have rv island however exit may be tight because of cars parking near building Truck pump nozzle is too large for most p/u

Joe (ka6bud)
ka6bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:23 PM   #3

I believe you can check the Flying J/Pilot website for stations with RV pumps, they are both owned by the same company. My last truck was a diesel and I tried using the big truck pumps one time; ka6bud is right, the nozzle is too big for a pickup truck, that turned out to be messy and I never tried it again.

Mike

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 07:58 PM   #4

We have always filled up where the big trucks fill. Easy in, easy out. The pumps fill faster and the truckers don't mind either as you will fill faster than a big truck and be on your way. The only drawback is having to go into the station and prepay to get the pump started. Teamwork helps here. Wife goes in and pays. Calls me on cell to start filling. She shops in the store. When I get done, I move forward to allow the next truck to fill. Call wife. She pays for fuel and all the other stuff. Sometimes there is time to make a quick sandwich etc in the RV after moving off the pumps. I will never use the "RV" pumps at a truck stop. I have even used it to fill the truck when not towing.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:31 PM   #5

I never use the RV pumps. It just makes no sense. You get the same price and a lot more convenience at the truck pumps. If you need to dump and/or fill then you are stuck in those lanes but otherwise it's truck pumps only for us!
Bill Adams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 08:36 PM   #6

I always fill-up at the truck island with the semi's. We carry two books one called the "Next Stop" and the other is the "RV Diesel Stop"( not sure of this title). Just as the other poster above does, only I pre-pay and then pull forward, go back inside to complete the sale.
I would carry a funnel for your truck when filling up at the semi truck island. I believe that the GMC/Chevy fuel tank spot is design for a gas pump, not a high speed diesel pump that the semi's truck use.
My Dodge and all other Ram truck will except the larger truck high speed filler nozzle.
Jim W.
Old 09-02-2011, 08:54 PM   #7

Pond Piggies Club
I'm going to toss this out. When you refuel at the truck island, did you put the nozzle on the first notch, or the slow setting. Otherwise, it will put fuel out faster then the vent can make room for it.

Or, you can put in a larger fuel tank. Be able to go about anyplace, drop the trailer, and go for fuel. I have the 56 gallon transfer flow replacement fuel tank.

By the way, I always use the truck lanes.
Grumpytrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 12:09 AM   #8

The truckers don't seem to mind rv's in their truck lanes??

Thanks
Ray
jackandh2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 01:36 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Somewhere, on here I think, there was an adaptor for going from the big nozzles to the little holes....
Midniteoyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 06:28 AM   #10

Thanks for all the comments. On our trip we mistakenly pulled into the truck side of a small station. this was where the Diesel was. We were taken back by the large nozzel of the pump. But with our ignorance we stuck it in our truck and it filled up very fast, so this tell's me that our truck will take the large nozzel and we can fill up at the truck part of the stations.
It good to know that we are allowed to go in the truck part. Was not sure if the rules would allow it and if the truckers minded.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:30 AM   #11

thanks for the info on the books, I try to find them.
Old 09-03-2011, 06:50 AM   #12

if you use the truck islands in indiana, the posted price does not include sales tax. your price will be higher than the pump price. if it is flying j you are better off to go to the rv island and use your flying j card if you have one. they will not honor the card at the truck islands.
rfhtlh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2011, 07:46 AM   #13

Got a question for ya'll, since we haven't traveled in the east yet. Don't you have regular stations, not truckstops, to get diesel fuel from on your travels?

Out west, I never use a truckstop for fuel. I've always been able to the fuelup at a station, usually less than a mile off the freeway for less than a truckstop.

Just askin'???

Regards, Hamshog
Old 09-03-2011, 09:39 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamshog View Post
Got a question for ya'll, since we haven't traveled in the east yet. Don't you have regular stations, not truckstops, to get diesel fuel from on your travels?

Out west, I never use a truckstop for fuel. I've always been able to the fuelup at a station, usually less than a mile off the freeway for less than a truckstop.

Just askin'???

Regards, Hamshog
The people that design most stations are idiots. They place the pumps so you are facing the store which is only 25' away with cars parked in front so you can't get out with a large rig. The smart ones place the pumps so you are sideways with the store and can get in and out ok. I can't believe Flying J's and Pilot didn't realize this and put in more RV pumps or re-design their stations. On my last trip I more than once pulled off the road and found I couldn't get my 50' rig into a station and had to travel miles to find a turn around. Now that I've got the diesel/dually I will be using the truck pumps for sure.
Billieg is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel