Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-18-2013, 02:19 AM   #1

Question Getting Proper Trailer Mount for Pickup

Bought a 1993 Fleetwood Avion 5th wheel three months ago and am looking to purchase a 1992 Ford F250 XLT Supercab to tow it. It has a 460, so I am not worried about the pulling power and still have to check the tranny and brakes. It is a 4X4 though, and the owner said he had raised it by 4" which concerns me for the fifth wheel mount I have yet to purchase. I am worried about the capacity of the mount to adjust vertically, and with the 4" lift, the mount would probably have to be lower than the standard for that specific model truck, and would also have to clear the side rails of the bed during a turn, which could be a problem..

Is there a website that I can go to see if there is a mount with the range for the situation so the truck can tow the trailer? Right now, I have serious doubts. I have not purchased the truck yet, but appears to be a good deal, if it will work. I am not going to commit without knowing it can be made to work.

Thanks for any advice. The sooner, the better.

As a corollary here I am also worried the truck may have oversized tires that could also complicate the problem here, raising it even further. The tires are M+S 35 X 125.0 R18.5LT 123Q. Seems to be basically a tire for off road, possibly running in mud. I just may have to get new tires to solve that problem.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-18-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
It is a 4X4 though, and the owner said he had raised it by 4" which concerns me for the fifth wheel mount I have yet to purchase. I am worried about the capacity of the mount to adjust vertically, and with the 4" lift, the mount would probably have to be lower than the standard for that specific model truck, and would also have to clear the side rails of the bed during a turn, which could be a problem..
The fifth wheel hitch will not be the problem. All the major brands adjust vertically. Plus the pin box on the trailer also adjusts to raise or lower the kingpin of the trailer.

Your problem might be clearance between the trailer overhang and the top of the bed rails when the trailer is level front to rear. You want the trailer level for safe towing, so if the truck and trailer don't match, you have to either raise the trailer or lower the truck. Adjusting the hitch or the pinbox is only for fine-tuning level of the trailer when hooked up to the truck, not for changing clearance between truck and trailer.

The fix is to back the truck up to the level trailer and see how much clearance is left between the top of the bedrails and the underside of the trailer overhang. If it's less than about 5", then you'll have to either raise the trailer or lower the truck to have a level rig when on the road.

Quote:
As a corollary here I am also worried the truck may have oversized tires that could also complicate the problem here, raising it even further. The tires are M+S 35 X 125.0 R18.5LT 123Q. Seems to be basically a tire for off road, possibly running in mud. I just may have to get new tires to solve that problem.
You misplaced a period in your specs, so it took me a while to realize you meant 35x12.5R18.

Those are expensive tires - about $400 each. Here's the Goodyear version:
Goodyear*Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

And the tread is not the problem. The diameter of the 35" tire reduces the power and torque where the rubber meets the road by about 8.7%. So your 4.10 axle ratio will "feel like" a 3.74. Or if your have a 3.73 rear axle, it will "feel like" a 3.40. You will feel the difference when dragging that trailer up a long mountain pass, and your 460 gas lover will drink a bunch more gas.

So if the truck is too high to provide at least 5" of clearance for a level trailer, then you need a different truck, or spend the money to lower the truck. If you get rid of that lift and tall tires, that would probably do the trick, but not cheap. The Avion is a wonderful 5er if it has been well maintained, so I'd do something to keep that trailer and match a truck to it.

I don't know what type of suspension the Avion has, but if it is ordinary springs and shackles, then you can raise the trailer about 3" or 4" by moving the spring perches from under the axles to over the axles. That's called "flipping the axles" but you don't literally turn over the axles. Way back when, I had to "flip the axles" on a 5er to get it to tow level behind my SuperDuty. The trailer looked sorta phunny with its "high water pants", but towed great. The steps into the trailer were too high for comfortable climbing, so we added a step.

Grumpy ole man with over 50 years towing experience. Now my heaviest trailer is a 7,000-pound enclosed cargo trailer, RV is a 5,600 pound Skyline Nomad Joey 196S, and my tow vehicle is a 2012 F-150 3.5L EcoBoost SuperCrew.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2013, 09:14 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by msquared48 View Post
Bought a 1993 Fleetwood Avion 5th wheel three months ago and am looking to purchase a 1992 Ford F250 XLT Supercab to tow it. It has a 460, so I am not worried about the pulling power and still have to check the tranny and brakes. It is a 4X4 though, and the owner said he had raised it by 4" which concerns me for the fifth wheel mount I have yet to purchase. I am worried about the capacity of the mount to adjust vertically, and with the 4" lift, the mount would probably have to be lower than the standard for that specific model truck, and would also have to clear the side rails of the bed during a turn, which could be a problem..

Is there a website that I can go to see if there is a mount with the range for the situation so the truck can tow the trailer? Right now, I have serious doubts. I have not purchased the truck yet, but appears to be a good deal, if it will work. I am not going to commit without knowing it can be made to work.

Thanks for any advice. The sooner, the better.

You should be fine with your truck. When we got our 5th wheel and checked out hitches there was one that was made for 4x4s that allow you make turns. Go to a good rv dealer to get specks for your truck. We did not get a 4x4 because we we did not believe it. But since being on the road we have seen them at work and talked to the owners and they loved them. There are several web sites to check out just google 5th wheel hitches and go serfing. You can check out Camping World.com to they have a lot of good stuff there to. They can be expensive but they are a starting point for information them you can do like I do and find better prices. Good luck and fun.