Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2013, 03:42 PM   #1

Getting Ready for the Road

Wife and I are living full time in a Redwood 5th wheel. For now, we're both working full time. We're wanting to get a plan together to go on the road. My wife will retire and I'll work contract jobs (3-9 months each). We'll work a job in one city, then move to another part of the country. See the US while still working some.

We're interested in putting a list of things-to-do in preparation for our trip. As with many other topics, we've found the folks on this site to have some creative ideas that are very helpful.

Our home base will be in Texas. I assume we'll convert bills to web or auto payments. We'll find a family member or mail shop to be a new perm address and forward mail that isn't junk. I think we can take medical/dental records with us. What other items should we consider doing?

gcakia is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2013, 05:33 PM   #2

This is just because I've been doing research, but you should look into a Class A NON-CDL Texas Driver License. Otherwise, you'll be illegally pulling your trailer.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:28 PM   #3

What causes me to be illegal?
Old 07-22-2013, 09:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
What causes me to be illegal?
If you have a Texas Class C driver's license (the one everyone obtains without knowing it) then you are only licensed to drive a non commercial vehicle up to 26k lbs, and pull a trailer up to 10k lbs, GVWR each.
If your trailer is above 10k lbs GVWR, then you need a class A non cdl license.
Old 07-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
The Texas law is:

1. Class A driver license permits a person to drive any vehicle or combination
of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or
more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle(s) being towed
is in excess of 10,000 pounds; including a vehicle included in Class B or
Class C, except a motorcycle or moped.

The way I read it is: the combination must be > 26,001 #'s AND the towed trailer GVWR must be > 10,000 #'s. If the combination is under 26,001 #'s then the Class A is not required.

That said, we are saying the same thing. I am sure the 5er in question has a GVWR over 10,000 #'s so the Class A is appropriate. I have talked to many RV'ers pulling 5ers in our CG in Texas and most do not have, nor have the attempted to get, the class A license (they already had a license to drive before they got the RV and never went for the Class A). Not that that means anything as to their legality, it is just there is not an awareness of the need for the Class A license.

__________________________________________________ _____________

Back to the OP: I worked full time the last three years while full-timing. I was a different situation as I was a consultant and worked out of my RV. I needed to insure i had reliable internet and telephone service. Buy you should plan for paying state taxes in the state you are working in as a non-resident. You need to check the tax laws for that state. When you do get a job, make sure they take out the state tax for the state you are working in, not based on your state of residency. If you work in multiple states that have income tax, you will end up filing multiple tax returns (1 for each of those state).

During this time, I stayed long term in either PA or TX. As a full-timer my state of residency is South Dakota. TX doesn't have a state income tax so no problem. The PA law reads that I need to file as a non-resident for income derived from a PA company. My home office was in GA. My company took out PA tax for the period of time I spent in PA. I guess legally I probably did not have to file in PA, but since PA is a flat rate tax state - I paid nothing and got no refund, I filed a non-resident state income tax form. Prior to the consulting job I worked for an RV dealer in PA. For that I was required to pay PA State Income tax as a non-resident since the company was located in PA.

2017 Solitude by Grand Design
2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
K-Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 02:15 PM   #6

Sounds pretty clear that I need a class A license. Our 5th wheel weighs 16,000 lbs without contents and we drive a 1 tone dually (Ford F-350).

What risk do people have who are in violation of this? traffice ticket?

If someone is in an accident, could the insurance company void coverage?
Old 07-22-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by gcakia View Post
Sounds pretty clear that I need a class A license. Our 5th wheel weighs 16,000 lbs without contents and we drive a 1 tone dually (Ford F-350).

What risk do people have who are in violation of this? traffice ticket?

If someone is in an accident, could the insurance company void coverage?

that I do not know.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat
Old 07-22-2013, 04:34 PM   #8

I'm sure it opens you up to all litigations of absurdness.

But just something to think about.
Has it been parked under a shed? If so, I'd check out the roof and all seals.
I'd check out or even just flat out replace all your tires for safety. Brakes, trailer lights.
Old 07-30-2013, 07:08 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
good topic !

I too am interested - just started work on a table of 'future' estimates on living expenses... didn't get very far...

many things are the same:
auto and rv payments,
wireless phones,
food,
entertainment,
fuel,
etc...

some to a different degree:
maintenance,
clothes,
tv,
internet,
utilities ?

some are completely new:
mail service,
storage,
home sale,
furniture sale,
????

propane,
sites, ($30 per nite avg? what are weekly/monthly rates?)
utilities,
etc...

know we would probably not eat out like we do know with both of us working @ $50 to $100 per nite, but sometimes...

what are we missing to get a realistic estimate ?
Old 07-30-2013, 07:55 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
one more thing - make sure you have Full-Timer insurance on your RV. It gives you similar coverage as your stick and brick home had. Mine is thru my RV Insurance. I also carry an umbrella liability policy.

2012 Ford F-450 Lariat