Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #1

GFCI problem

I have a 2006 Everest 323K. There are three typical GFI's in it. One by the kitchen sink, one by the bathroom, sink, and one by the stove. All are typical GFIs with test and reset buttons. They work fine. However, on the island, the outside by the door, and one in the basement pass-thru that are regular type recepticles that have a blue sticker that state, "GFCI Protected." They are all dead. When checked with a plug-in circuit tester, it reads "Open Neutral." I opened each one and all the wires are correctly connected. Using a DVM, each is indeed getting a hot leg correctly (black wire). 120 vac is present between the ground and the black (hot) wire. No power between hot and neutral. I opened the power panel and all the neutral wires are OK on the neutral bus. At first I thought there may be a hidden GFI reset, but I am getting a hot leg. Also, the power panel has circuit breaker that has a hand-written label saying GFI. It indeed kills the power to the three recepticals in question. However, I'm thinking it is not bad since, again, there is hot-leg power at each receptical. I'm perplexed. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-06-2012, 09:39 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds to me, with the handwritten label. someone did some amateur wiring. A common outlet can be protected by a GFI by wiring it to the output terminals on the 'regular' GFI. That way you can have two protected outlets with only one GFI. Is the CB a GFI breaker or just labeled? I'd start by tripping the GFI's and then see if the current is still present in the outlets in question. If so, then turn off power to the circuit, then pulling the GFI out of the box should expose a loose neutral wire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 09:27 AM   #3

Send a message via Skype™ to vermilye
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Sounds to me, with the handwritten label. someone did some amateur wiring. A common outlet can be protected by a GFI by wiring it to the output terminals on the 'regular' GFI. That way you can have two protected outlets with only one GFI. Is the CB a GFI breaker or just labeled? I'd start by tripping the GFI's and then see if the current is still present in the outlets in question. If so, then turn off power to the circuit, then pulling the GFI out of the box should expose a loose neutral wire.
2X - Check the GFCI feeding the "Protected" outlets for a loose neutral.
vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Two possible answers.

First: There may be one more GFCI you have yet to find, I have read of them hiding those puppies in some strange places.. GFCI's for this discussion come in 3 types.

One (not likely your case) is a circuit breaker/GFCI combo.

One has a little indicator light which glows when the outlet is live

the remaining one has the same indicator but it glows when tripped.

Tonight, in the dark, look for a little red star hiding somewhere.

Option 2: is a broken wire or bad connection.. I'd start by checking all 3 of the known GFCI's pull 'em out and see if there is a loose wire
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM   #5

The protected outlet is downstream from 1 of the ground fault receptacles (another screw on GFCI receptacle on the output side) Trip each one in turn until he 120 VAC goes away, then pull out that receptacle and check for a loose connection or a bad GFCI receptacle..
Old 12-08-2012, 12:07 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Great advice Kevin but for one thing....the problem is that "The 120 volt HAS already gone away".

now, in truth, I know ways to get around that, but I'm not comfortable suggesting them.
Old 12-09-2012, 12:40 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
Great advice Kevin but for one thing....the problem is that "The 120 volt HAS already gone away".
Yes, but the OP said the black wire was still hot, it had an 'Open Neutral.' That's why I and vermilye suggest to look at the GFI outlet that controls the 'dead' outlet and look for a loose or broken neutral wire.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:45 PM   #8

Thanks for all the replies. Basically, I had done all these things...and checked some more via the suggestions. If I pull the breaker that says GFI, the three bad recepticles loose the power to the hot leg...but the three "real" GFIs still have power! Oh well...
Old 12-12-2012, 03:33 PM   #9

Gulf Streamers Club
I had the same issue in my 5er. The breaker in the breaker box was labeled GFIC. This powered the GFI receptacle at the lavatory which fed the receptacle over the bar which fed the receptacle at the end of the bar and at the wall end of the bar and the outside receptacle. As we do not use all of the receptacles at the same time, it has not been an issue. Any who the problem was a neutral wire not making contact in the PUSH in connection of the GFI receptacle. Placed the wire behind the screw as it should have been and all is well.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:27 PM   #10

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Plug your tester into one of them.. Now go to each GFCI one at a time and trip it.. When teh tester shows "Completly dead" (The one light that's lit goes out) check the connections on the back of THAT GFCI, odds are one is loose.

IF those are all good.. Then go on to other live outlets that are GFCI protected but not actual GFCI, test them, when you ifnd one that tracks that same GFCI, check it.. Continue till you find the problme.

Also check for junction boxes either under the RV, under a slide or under a cabinet or in a basement compartment.
Old 12-13-2012, 11:20 AM   #11

You got it, Gasman!

I never really checked the bedroom sink GFI...and it is indeed contolled by the breaker labled GFI. Will check out the wiring from that spot on...thanks again!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:59 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
Thanks for all the replies. Basically, I had done all these things...and checked some more via the suggestions. If I pull the breaker that says GFI, the three bad recepticles loose the power to the hot leg...but the three "real" GFIs still have power! Oh well...
AH, a lead...That Breaker that says GFCI, is it a GFCI breaker (There will be a TEST button on it if is) Check the neutral wires in teh breaker box.

Many RVer's have a few screws loose.. Including several in that box in my case.
Old 12-13-2012, 02:21 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cascadian View Post
I never really checked the bedroom sink GFI...and it is indeed contolled by the breaker labled GFI. Will check out the wiring from that spot on...thanks again!
So .... the breaker labeled "GFI" should probably be relabeled as "feeds bedroom sink GFI". Your check will probably reveal that the 3 failing outlets are downstream of the sink GFI and the neutral exiting the sink GFI is open ... possibly a failed push-in or insulation trapped under the screw.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:55 PM   #14

I installed a 50 amp hardwired surge guard and checked all the breaker box screws while I was in there. On a new camper I still found 2 loose grounds. Routine testing is always necessary!