Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2013, 09:01 AM   #99

Actually 99 posts, not two. Ha. But there is a serious problem with this product. I started the stream last year when we purchased our new Wildcat. I don't know why it works for a few. I've talked to several while camping that hate it, too. I am SOOOOOO relieved to be rid of the Girard tankless system. In warm Florida for winter and low-pressure RV parks, just not practical for us.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-20-2013, 10:52 AM   #100

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Whats an app? Is that what smart phones use?
What did the dealer service desk tell you about the hot water heater?
What did the manufacturer tell you about the hot water heater?
The manufacturer is probably not a member of this forum so you probably have to call them.

Old 01-20-2013, 05:00 PM   #101

Southern State Campers....
Girard does have a fix for too warm of incoming water which makes the Water HEater heat the water too much.
It is the EXTREME WARM WEATHER KIT.
I t utilizes the new Gas modulator (on the 2nd generation GSWH-1M) to lower the BTUs from 27,000 BTUs to 18,000 BTUs which will allow you to have a temprature increase of about 15 - 20 degrees rather than 30 - 40 degrees as you get with 27,000 BTUs.
Keep in mind that if you have poor water flow (less than 1 GPM) at a campground you may need to take your water regulator off you water hose or use your fresh water tank and pump rather than campground hook-up.
Contact Girard Tech Support for futher information.
Old 01-21-2013, 02:10 PM   #102

Talked to Girard

Yesterday we were at the RV show in Tampa and stopped to talk to Girard about their tankless heater. They made these comments:
1. Said it was the way the Wildcat did the plumbing that was problematic with their 1st gen tankless system. That could explain why some work and some don't. Our Wildcat did not work with 1st gen.
2. The 2nd gen system took care of the problems with low pressure and warm cold water.
3. You can't fix the 1st gen system. You have to replace it with 2nd gen which has been totally redesigned.

They apologized to us for our problems and said they wished we had called them. I told them we DID call them early last year but it was before they had the fixed system.
Old 01-22-2013, 07:54 AM   #103

MPLawrence and All:

There is a fix for the 1st generation Girard Water Heater (GSWH-1) for warmer incoming water and low water flows.
It is the EXTREME WARM WEATHER KIT.
There is no charge for this fix and it must be installed by a qualified dealer/service center.
Contact Girard Tech Support to learn more on the kit.

On the Wildcat plumbing the issue was usually with poor water flow at the shower.
Old 01-29-2013, 04:21 PM   #104

Just finishing a 2 week trip staying in 6 different camp grds. Still can not regulate water to be consistent. When hot water is on it sounds like jack hammers going off.Plan on dropping off RV at Dealer and try get this all worked out. We have had this new RV ( Wild Cat sterling edition 29MK 2012 ) about 6 months and we use it a lot.
Old 01-30-2013, 09:41 AM   #105

Carrollander:
Please let us know the delaer's name and location.
Also, let us know your name.
You can either call our Tech Support or send me a private email if you wish.
We will contact them.

Girard Products
866-559-1221
Old 01-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #106

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplawrence View Post
Actually 99 posts, not two. Ha. But there is a serious problem with this product. I started the stream last year when we purchased our new Wildcat. I don't know why it works for a few. I've talked to several while camping that hate it, too. I am SOOOOOO relieved to be rid of the Girard tankless system. In warm Florida for winter and low-pressure RV parks, just not practical for us.
Semantics, I know, but I was responding the post from Bliss42 that there were so many "threads" - where I said I've only seen 2 "threads"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliss42 View Post
Cross posting this since there are so many threads about how bad the system is.....
Sounds like Bliss had a bad dealer... Bliss, you should call Girard...
they seem to be standing behind their product -
our's turns two next month and it works fine !!!

also think it's pretty neat to have someone in here trying to help - thanks jnert !
Old 02-06-2016, 06:25 PM   #107

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Next Generation Girard HWH 2GWHAM

At the risk of sending things into a descending spiral, has anyone heard anything about the latest generation of Girard tankless systems the GSWH-2. I read all the discussions here and it seems the 1st gen was less than ideal and the 2nd worked out most of the kinks, so I'm interested in what the 3rd gen has in store for us

I have a 10 gallon Suburban that gave up on our last trip in November and I'm looking to replace it.

Bill
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 11:59 AM   #108

3rd Gen Girard Tankless

Yes, I have installed a gen 3 Girard tankless on a field test basis. We are very pleased with it. It produces hot water at a stable temp without the fluctuations we had with the gen 1 heater or, if the rotary temp dial wasn't set correctly, with the gen 2 heater. It is just like showering at home--we turn on the hot water and add cold water to reach the desired showering temp. Best of all, it has made a happy camper out of the DW!

I wrote up my experience in the Lance Owners of America forum:
Sign In To Lance Owners of America

Below is a copy of my LOA post:

I became interested in microprocessor-controlled tankless water heaters after two camping trips in a row last year in which I failed to get the rotary dial set right for the Girard tankless, with Faith complaining vociferously from the shower about the unstable temps! Wouldn't it just be great, I thought, if a microprocessor could reliably modulate and control the water temp.

Last May I wrote Girard to inquire if they had a microprocessor-controlled tankless water heater in their product development pipeline. To my pleasant surprise, they did! And better yet, they asked if I would like to be a field tester since I had experience with their first and second generation tankless water heaters. I jumped at the opportunity.

I received the unit for the field testing/evaluation in early September. Three different door/flange combinations are available, so it came without the flange installed. Here is a pic of the water heater with the flange installed:

The heater turned out to be slightly larger than the gen 2 heater since pan head screws rather than pop rivets were used to assemble it, and it wouldn't quite fit in the water heater opening. I enlarged the width of the opening from 12.75" to 13" with my Fein MultiMaster oscillating saw and also trimmed about 1/16" from the top of the opening:

Here the water heater is ready to install with the propane line already hooked up. Electrical and water were connected after installation:

Here it is installed with the door remounted to the flange. The holes in the flange lined up perfectly with the screw holes from the gen 1 and 2 heaters. I even re-used the same screws from the gen 1 heater that had been used on the gen 2 heater! Note that the new door is hinged and has a nice latch:

With the door closed:

The water heater has a User Control Panel (UCP) that is mounted in the interior of the trailer. I mounted it where the gen 2 rotary dial had been, which is also where the gen 1 high-low switch was. The UCP has a default setting of 115°, however, using the up and down buttons, it can be set in one degree increments from 95° to 124°.

When hot water is being produced, the UCP shows the actual output temp from the water heater. The three symbols at the bottom show that water is being drawn from the heater, and that the burner and blower are operating.

So, how does this all work out? Amazingly well! I conducted tests where I kept the UCP at the default setting of 115 and measured the shower water temp with an electronic digital thermometer. It showed a range of 113.4 to 113.8 degrees, which is amazingly constant IMO. I don’t think I can even feel the variation of 0.4 degrees.

The manual states that the unit can be used in two ways: (1) operate like a tank heater, turn on the hot water and add cold water to achieve the desired temperature. or (2), use the UCP to set the desired temperature. I think it is easiest and simplest to leave it on the default setting of 115°, turn on the hot water and add cold water to suit.

We've been camping twice since installing the gen 3 water heater. Both of us have used the shower several times. Faith is very pleased with it, saying each time that it is just like taking a shower at home! I am equally happy with it. No drama--just a nice, soothing shower with stable, consistent water temps!

By the way, the pics of the new Lance 650 truck camper show the new gen 3 water heater!

One last point. When in standby mode, the microprocessor has a constant draw of 0.2 amps. Girard recommends installing a switch that controls the power to the entire water heater in order to eliminate this parasitic draw when dry camping. This pic shows the switch I installed next to the UCP:

Bruce
Old 02-07-2016, 04:45 PM   #109

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Thanks Bruce, very helpful. Do you know if the door that replaces the 10 gallon door is 24x24 like the suburban heater is?
bfam2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2016, 10:21 PM   #110

Bill/Cindy, I don't have the exact measurements of the door and can't readily measure it as the trailer is stored some 20 minutes away. But the door for my gen 3 is a lot smaller than 24 x 24, more like about 15 x 15. If I recall correctly, there are two or three different door sizes available for the gen 3, so you may want to contact Girard directly and see if there is one that fits your needs.

Bruce
Old 02-09-2016, 07:36 AM   #111

Evergreen Owners Club
subscribe
Old 02-09-2016, 09:27 AM   #112

I sincerely hope all of you that have the tankless system have good luck with it. I can only tell you my experience of having a tankless system installed in my home in 2010. It was a Rinai and I was told how it was all the rage in Europe and Japan and a great "green" appliance. For about 4 years worked great and then constant problems with it varying the water temperature greatly or not starting at all. Many "factory trained and certified tech" visits later, I had our plumber rip it off the wall and return our house to a traditional tank. Now I never have to worry if the wife won't have hot water when she attempts to shower for work. It's my opinion this is one technological improvement that still has too many bugs for me to invest my money in it. I would never buy a new camper that came with a tankless system because of my experience. I know many of you will say your's work fine, but that's the same thing all the "factory trained and certified techs" told me while they couldn't fix mine.