Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-02-2014, 09:05 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
12 volt system has only a few major components

First there is a converter... Often this is part of your power distribution panel (Often but not always) so if you open a door and see both fuses and circuit breakers behind that door.. What is the make and model of it.

Next is your battery Likely it's toast

You also have a master switch somewhere and I already mentioned the fuses and breakers

how it works

One of those breakers is likely labeled CONV or something like that (converter) this feeds power to the CONVERTER which Converts (naturally) the 120volt shore power to something the battery needs (Just what depends on a few things but let's say 13.6 for fun)

This both charges the battery (if needed) and powers lights, water pump, control computers (Fridge, Water heater and some Air conditioners) and the furnace.

Power is distributed via the fuse panel.. OFTEN there are 2 fuses larger than the rest that are "Master Fuses" one for the converter one for .. everything else.

That is as far as I can go hands off.

So how far from the Georgia state line via I-95 is Bonita Springs,Fl?

I am 50 miles NORTH of that crossing, roughly.
I have the owners manual for this trailer so I have been able to find the things your talking about. Looks like it boils down to cleaning out the storage area and getting in there to check the converter. At 6'2" and 220 pounds it isn't east wiggling into these small spaces. I'm not as young as I used to be either so that doesn't help any. Guess I'd better get at it today and see what I can find.
Are you from up Folkstone way? Good place for train watching and getting a speeding ticket. That was back in 63 though. Maybe better now. Ha! pete

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-02-2014, 09:06 AM   #16

If your need for batteries is just to start something, then normal car batteries (AKA starting batteries) would be fine.

Just for grins, you might try some auto parts stores in hopes that somebody traded in a battery that's weaker than new, but not dead. They get about $18 core charge, so if you gave the guy a $20, you might both make out OK.

If you order a new one, try Advanced Auto and use code TRT41. That should get your $40 off a purchase of $100 or more. Buy internet, pick up at store.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobilcastle View Post
If you have a volt meter you could start at the battery to see if it is working. Then go from their. My converter also has fuses on it. If yours does also check to see if they need replacing.
I'll try and get to the converter today. I didn't know they had fuses on them so I hope the solution to my problem will be that simple. Pete
Old 10-02-2014, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamaboy473 View Post
If your need for batteries is just to start something, then normal car batteries (AKA starting batteries) would be fine.

Just for grins, you might try some auto parts stores in hopes that somebody traded in a battery that's weaker than new, but not dead. They get about $18 core charge, so if you gave the guy a $20, you might both make out OK.

If you order a new one, try Advanced Auto and use code TRT41. That should get your $40 off a purchase of $100 or more. Buy internet, pick up at store.
Thanks for that Bamaboy. I have a couple batteries already that are hooked to my solar panel to keep them charged up.(Better check the water in them too) I use them for an irrigation system I built for watering my plants in the dry season. That's why I wanted to know if they would work for the trailer. I see no reason they wouldn't. There are three batts for the system so removing two won't stop the irrigation and may get my 12 v going for me. Thanks again for the advice. Peolpe here are really great. Pete
Old 10-02-2014, 06:45 PM   #19

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
To answer your question, any 12v battery will work, deep cycles just work better and last longer. Saying that, the batteries that you already have will work for you the way you are using them. Hope that is all that is wrong.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2014, 08:05 PM   #20

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If the converter is good and you are not towing the trailer a Garden Tractor battery or motorcycle battery will do the job.

Still need to know more about your converter, I do not think it is working but it may be just a blown fuse.. There are usually fuses ON THE CONVERTER itself.
Old 10-02-2014, 09:40 PM   #21

I have a 94 Alpenlite. The older converters were very hard on batteries. They charged to high for full time use. I installed a battery maintainer ( 35.00) and installed it power on full time. I switch off the converter ( it is powered from the circuit breaker that is marked hot water tank) unless my batteries need a boost. One good battery will work for you. Put one in and see if converter works. If converter is shot be sure to replace it with a duel stag converter. Won't dry out battery. You do know about the main 12v power kill switch???? Chrome push pull switch near the fuse panel on the 94. In the front of the basement on later models. There is an ( Alpenlite travel club) on face book. 165 members, someone there will have your exact model. Good luck! I will watch for you on face book.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:08 AM   #22

Quote:
If the converter is good and you are not towing the trailer a Garden Tractor battery or motorcycle battery will do the job.

Still need to know more about your converter, I do not think it is working but it may be just a blown fuse.. There are usually fuses ON THE CONVERTER itself.
Got all the junk in the basement out of the way and crawled into the area to the converter. It's a Todd Engineering, 55 amp and it was filthy with dust and dirt and cobwebs. Removed it from the wall and disconnected the wires and took it inside to clean and check. There is a fuse inside and it was ok. The green LED light works ok when the unit is plugged in but can't get a reading on the output with my meter. Hooked up my battery charger to the fuse panel and now I have 12v lights. Sent a message to Todd for advice but haven't heard from them yet. Interesting that the converter would be hooked to the water heater circuit. I just had to replace the HWH last week 'cause it sprung a leak after only seven years. Nobody told me to replace the anode every year. Another $400 down the drain but I can use the shower again. Ha!
I wondered if one battery would work. I never have all the 12v fixtures on at the same time and tend to turn lights off when out of their area to save on the power bill. Doesn't help much when your AC runs all day long. Pete
Old 10-03-2014, 08:12 AM   #23

Quote:

It's a Todd Engineering converter 55 amps. It replaced the 45 amp one back in 01 or so when the trailer got a surge from a lightning strike. New batteries too and several PC boards and the radio were replaced too. It has a fuse inside but it looked ok. Pete

Tags
advice