Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-12-2016, 09:56 PM   #15

They all have problems to one degree or another. Condemming a brand because of negative comments of a few , would not leave many brands to look at.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-13-2016, 12:46 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post
They all have problems to one degree or another. Condemming a brand because of negative comments of a few , would not leave many brands to look at.
Ain't that the truth.

Old 01-13-2016, 01:04 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by caissiel View Post
There are hate pages everywhere. Keystone sells much more units then most and just by numbers more comments will be said.
I tow a 15k unit, 39ft long with my F250 for the past 9 years,
and have no reason to change for the next 10 years.
1) That's true. Keystone sells more than anyone else, so if quality was the same, they'd have more complaints. I'd encourage you, however, to look at the BBB and see how Keystone responds to their own customers - that has nothing to do with numbers and it's all about customer service. Make your own judgment. Keystone does not provide factory support - and likely you're tied to where you bought it as no other dealer is going to take Keystone's labor rates.

2) F250 and 15k 5th wheels likely can be done. And likely is technically over pin weight rating in many cases. No one is arguing that it can't be towed.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:41 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by paz View Post
jacknlynne,

I don't know about Cedar Creek, but if I remember correctly, Montana says the warranty is void if the unit is used for full-time living. That may not be an issue if you're buying used, but it may speak to the overall quality of the unit and the lack of confidence the manufacturer has in the longevity.
Montana now says that their units are full time warranted and full incurable.
NTXNEWBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 09:48 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTXNEWBIES View Post
Montana now says that their units are full time warranted and full incurable.
That should be insurable not incurable.
NTXNEWBIES is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:29 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknife View Post

Yup! I have a 2016 rig that was over six figures, and the amount of work on things that should NOT be an issue that I've put into it is utterly disgraceful. The individuals putting these rigs together should be ashamed of themselves. Whatever happened to taking pride in what you do?

That said, the big difference will be how well the factory takes care of you when these issues do arise. DRV has been great in that area.
Old 01-16-2016, 07:33 AM   #21

cedar creek
a step up from the other one
IMHO
hone eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #22

Neither of those FWs should be considered full time units, although there are many folks that do live in them full time. They are considered middle of the pack in quality and cost. And no, I'm not bashing either (look at what I'm pulling). I would consider using either unit full time. A real full time unit would be something like Teton, DVR, and a couple of others, but with those you'll pay much more, and no way your 250 can pull them safely.
ralphie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #23

You don't need a DRV or $100,000+ 5th wheel to full time in. We camp at a near by CG a couple times a year and there's a host with an Open Range 5er that's been there 3 years. The other host just has a Montana.
There's blogs all over the net about RV'rs traveling in TT's to 40' diesels pushers.
Find a good solid 5er that has good insulation R values and good floor plan. Only difference would be is that if you plan on putting 10-15,000 miles on it a year then you will want a better unit. If you plan on staying in places for a month or longer then you're not piling up the miles. You probably won't be putting on any more miles than lots of campers. We put 4-5,000 on a year. If I were full timing I doubt I would put much more on. I would tend to stay longer in places to get a chance to really see my surroundings. Not like a vacation where you cram everything in in a week or two.
Old 01-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #24

Just winter in moderate climes . Az Tx etc and try to stay in cooler areas in summer. you can full time with about anything then. Heck, plains lndians full timed in Buffalo Hide Teepees ! Are we a bunch of softies or what ! Two squaws under a Buffalo hide blanket with you and a warm fire let the snow fly ! Lol
Old 01-16-2016, 08:53 PM   #25

Prepping your trailer will play the biggest role in how it feels. I'm on Illinois right now, temps are going below zero tonight and tomorrow night. I've skirted mine with 2" pink foam board, with a space heater, heat taped and insulated my water line. So far I've not froze up anything yet this winter. Keep my furnace set at 72.
Old 01-17-2016, 01:16 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
You don't need a DRV or $100,000+ 5th wheel to full time in. We camp at a near by CG a couple times a year and there's a host with an Open Range 5er that's been there 3 years. The other host just has a Montana.
There's blogs all over the net about RV'rs traveling in TT's to 40' diesels pushers.
Find a good solid 5er that has good insulation R values and good floor plan. Only difference would be is that if you plan on putting 10-15,000 miles on it a year then you will want a better unit. If you plan on staying in places for a month or longer then you're not piling up the miles. You probably won't be putting on any more miles than lots of campers. We put 4-5,000 on a year. If I were full timing I doubt I would put much more on. I would tend to stay longer in places to get a chance to really see my surroundings. Not like a vacation where you cram everything in in a week or two.
Parking a camper in one spot and leaving it there saves a ton of use. No way to judge quality of a unit.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 06:42 PM   #27

I am in the group that likes quality over new. Spend same money on slighty used quality builder over new lower level builder. If you go over the 36' length you are eliminating yourself from getting into a whole bunch of state parks, National Park CGs & Forest Servics CGs. Bigger is not better. Things like a large, 80gal plus, water tank are much more important & free you from being tethered to a FHU CG. The most important inside requirement is a galley with lots of counter space. So many floorplans do not have much of a working galley.

Do the research first & you won't buy a mistake just because the price was right.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 12:49 PM   #28

I am a Montana owner and member of Montana owners Group. I have attended 2 national rallys and visited the Montana plant 2 times. Many of us are full timers and i have never heard of any warranty being voided. Go on the MOG website as a guest and pose that question.

Tags
5th wheel, full time, advice