Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-10-2016, 04:06 PM   #1

Going full time this fall, need advice on 5th wheel

Howdy all,

I need you all's advise on a purchase of a used 5th wheel for me and my wife.

These two are priced about the same, both 37 foot, both rear living

1. Keystone Montana

2. Cedar Creek

My truck is a 2008 F250 diesel

We have owned bumper pulls TT for years, sold it a couple years ago.

JacknLynne
KD8PYY ham radio
jacknlynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-10-2016, 04:39 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Which one does your wife like the most?
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #3

Assuming that both are in acceptable condition and the floor plans suit both of you, go with the one that your wife likes best.

I'm a bit concerned, though, that you might be marginal on the truck. Remember that about 25% of the trailer's GROSS weight will be on your rear axle. You might check your numbers. Fifth wheels are usually somewhat heavier than travel trailers, and there's no weight distributing hitch to spread the weight around. The hitch (pin) weight goes straight on the rear axle.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:26 PM   #4
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Out of the two I think the Cedar Creek is the better made model.

There are a lot out there to chose from.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2016, 08:29 PM   #5

First: Find yourself an exemplary RV dealership with a great service department that offers reasonably fast service.

Second: Shop for an RV that suits your needs.

Good RV dealerships will often sell the best brands of travel trailers and motorhomes.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 04:58 AM   #6
paz

jacknlynne,

I don't know about Cedar Creek, but if I remember correctly, Montana says the warranty is void if the unit is used for full-time living. That may not be an issue if you're buying used, but it may speak to the overall quality of the unit and the lack of confidence the manufacturer has in the longevity.
paz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:05 AM   #7

Do a review of the two brands chosen that should steer you in the right direction.
Fsufreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 07:07 AM   #8
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
I'm a bit concerned, though, that you might be marginal on the truck. Remember that about 25% of the trailer's GROSS weight will be on your rear axle. You might check your numbers. Fifth wheels are usually somewhat heavier than travel trailers, and there's no weight distributing hitch to spread the weight around. The hitch (pin) weight goes straight on the rear axle.
Here is one of the many towing calculator web sites to check what you can tow.

Towing Planner - towing capability calculators
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 AM   #9

I have had three fivers; our first one the manufacture is out of business. My second unit was manufactured by Keystone Corp.(Cougar) and my third 5er is manufactured by Forest River Corp.(Cedar Creek).

When we were looking for a new 5er, I informed my wife I would never ever own another Keystone product.

Now as far as the Cedar Creek; this unit can be lived in full time. We have the smallest of the models offered a 34RL and it is a heavy unit. We have had a few issues with our unit and the dealer and Forest River Customer service has been excellent. In fact you can actual discuss issues with the factory representatives for the model you purchase unlike Keystone and get results.

At the international rally held each year in Goshen IN. by the Forest River Owners Group (F.R.O.G.). Forest River is there to assist owners with issues on their trailers regardless of age. Most repairs were down for free as an example the unit next to me which was a two year old unit and out of warranty, he had his brake drums and shoes replaced for free.

Now Cedar Creek has announced a new model called; Cedar Creek Champagne this is to complete against the higher end units that are for sale now.

There is also a new RiverStone model which is a separate line of 5er's by Forest River you could look for.

Jim
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacknlynne View Post
Howdy all,

I need you all's advise on a purchase of a used 5th wheel for me and my wife.

These two are priced about the same, both 37 foot, both rear living

1. Keystone Montana

2. Cedar Creek

My truck is a 2008 F250 diesel

We have owned bumper pulls TT for years, sold it a couple years ago.

JacknLynne
KD8PYY ham radio
For one dump the truck you don't want troubles on the road. Next that is too light of a truck for a 37' RV when FULLTIMING. Fulltiming I would for sure look at Quality lightly used RV's like Carriage, HitchHiker and MobileSuites to name a few. Yes then you will need and WANT Dually.
Cummins12V98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 01:54 PM   #11

Get a moisture indicator they sell one at Lowes that is reasonable. It helps check for areas that may leak.l wouldn't spend to much time comparing the two. They are both in the same price build range and use mostly the same brands of appliences furniture , etc. Also frames and axles. Good luck.
jacknife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 06:09 PM   #12

I'd also look at Northwood Arctic Fox. Quite a few full timers in the large TTs and 5ers.
This ones got 4400lbs of CCC which you'll need for full timing. Fiberglass rear cap, dual pane windows and in house built frame.
Northwood | Arctic Fox 32-5M
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:37 PM   #13

what iv read stay away from keystone they have a hate page on facebook
Tinagalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 08:46 PM   #14

There are hate pages everywhere. Keystone sells much more units then most and just by numbers more comments will be said.
I tow a 15k unit, 39ft long with my F250 for the past 9 years,
and have no reason to change for the next 10 years.

Tags
5th wheel, full time, advice