Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-13-2011, 06:29 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Zoemorn, I have looked at the Open Range, Komfort and Denali RV's and would not consider them as a 4 season unit. Be very careful in your looking and compare them to a Mobile suite, Hitch hiker or the likes. Look at the construction and not just the shiny stuff on the surface.

Ken

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:46 AM   #16

OpenRange and Komfort/Denali have features found in what are typically referred to as four season units (High R factors, forced air and vented underbellies and so-forth). Now whether they are as good as NuWa or someone else, I have no idea. That'd be a good review for someone with insight into the various construction methods to put together, but I don't have that kind of access; but can only go on what I'm told.
I do know that for my family, the floorplans in NuWa are unacceptable, number one factor being that in their few bunk models there's really no privacy between where the kids would be and the parents, nothing but just a curtain (hello NuWa designers, there's this invention that's been around for awhile now, known as a "door").

But for the couple (retiree or otherwise, and which is I'm sure their target market) I'm sure NuWa probably has a usable floorplan. Oh and TX, I'll check out Mobile Suites though, I hadn't heard of them til now. Are there any others that fall in "the likes" category that you might recommend for me to check out?
Update: Well, I found that Select Suites via Mobile Suites site, has a decent bunkhouse model potential, but I'm having trouble finding units to look at via RVT or RVTrader, or even just google. Was wanting to see "real photos" rather than the professional marketing photos, guess I'll keep hunting.

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 AM   #17

what part of the country are you looking in?

www.pplmotorhomes.com sells a ton of units with pictures--they are pretty straightforward to deal with. In the Houston area...

Joe
'09 F450--died, replaced with '10--retired
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 09:03 AM   #18

NuWa = no bunkmodels

sorry skooter, didnt mean to hijack your thread with the bunkmodel talk since it doesn't sound like thats what you're looking for anyway. But i did get a contact from NuWa stating they dont currently mfg bunk models, I guess what I had seen online was an discontinued model.

thanks.
Old 06-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #19

Ha Wingnut60, you're pretty good. Went to pplmotorhomes.com and after clicking 5th wheels, the first in the list was an Elite Series bunk model!! must be an omen!
I've discovered that DRV (mobile, elite and select suites) do indeed have several bunk models to choose from, now if they could just do some retooling of their website... looking at their floorplan imagery is hard on the eyes and slow going (but i'm a nitpicky IT,computers man).
Old 06-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #20

We just returned from Sevierville, TN, where the DRV "Suites" national rally was held last week. We toured the 4 models on display there and were impressed by their structure . Anyone can claim to be a 4 season RV, but they truly are built for full-time use in any weather the lower 48 has to offer. Even the side-walls are 3.5" thick, and the insulation factors are unequaled. Be prepared to buy a truck with adequate towing/hauling capacity, the lightest is near 13K # empty.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 05:24 AM   #21

When considering if a unit is a true 4 season one of the things I look at is the chassis. If it has a 8" chassis then it has 8" of insulation under there. Can't physically put any more in there. My DRV has 15" chassis, and, yes, the floor is very cozy winter and summer. also larger chassis more road worthy and also heavy.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:30 AM   #22
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemorn View Post
I do know that for my family, the floorplans in NuWa are unacceptable, number one factor being that in their few bunk models there's really no privacy between where the kids would be and the parents, nothing but just a curtain (hello NuWa designers, there's this invention that's been around for awhile now, known as a "door").
Having just been through the experience of ordering an HH, I found them very receptive to customization requests. If you are considering one I wouldn't reject it without asking about a door where you want it. Speaking as someone who knows nothing about what it takes to build one, replacing a curtain with a door doesn't sound like a big deal to me.
Old 06-16-2011, 08:42 AM   #23

Ray and Glenn, thanks for the added experience about DRV. I would like to go check them out in person sometime, they do look impressive. Course they are also more coin, which may be the deal breaker, realizing you get what you pay for, I may have to make due with something lesser.

Glenn - since the DRV's are heavy, how does your 3500 GMC perform with it, is it plenty enough muscle for it or would you recommend something else? Don't think i'm brave enough to go with the semi-trucks like some do (nor do i have the $$)

ljr- thanks for the advice, i did contact NuWa and they dont mfg bunk models anymore apparently, maybe they will add one to their lineup in the future?
Old 06-16-2011, 09:03 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemorn View Post
Glenn - since the DRV's are heavy, how does your 3500 GMC perform with it, is it plenty enough muscle for it or would you recommend something else?
I'm not Glenn, but our Mobile Suites 5th wheel (see signature) is within ALL the ratings (GVWR, GCWR and GAWRs) of our 1-ton dually; I expect it probably would be for comparable trucks from any of the Big 3 (trying to avoid a truck brand war here.... )

Now, if you look at a new Elite Suites 43' (or whatever) monster with all the bells and whistles (those granite steps and countertops are heavy!), that's a whole different story as far as tow vehicle requirements are concerned, but the GVWR on our 2004 Mobile Suites is only 16,000 lbs, so the weight is manageable.

By the way, I wouldn't hesitate to look at used full-time quality 5th wheels that have been well-maintained. Frankly, for a given amount of outlay, I'd far rather have a used, quality built full-time 5th wheel than a new 5th wheel of lesser quality. YMMV, of course....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #25

thx rusty, its ok that you're not glenn.
I'll have to look around in the used market for DRV bunk models to see whats available.
Old 06-16-2011, 09:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Zoemorn, I have looked at the Open Range, Komfort and Denali RV's and would not consider them as a 4 season unit. Be very careful in your looking and compare them to a Mobile suite, Hitch hiker or the likes. Look at the construction and not just the shiny stuff on the surface.

Ken
Excellent advice. Many units say they are "year round/four season units." We had a Montana, a very fine rig which we really loved. They used to advertise their "Arctic Insulation Package." Clearly a misnomer as it was a very cold drafty unit when the temps got in the 40s. If I was going to go back to a 5th wheel, I'd get another Montana, if I wanted a really good "four season" unit, I'd look at the Mobile Suites. But most 350/3500 series duallies are over weight with the MS...except for the 2011 models with the increased capacities.
Old 06-17-2011, 05:07 AM   #27

I full time in mine. We came across scales at 24,400 lbs. Truck had full tank, me. Mobile Suites had full fresh, empty rest. Truck handles this fine. We are 900 lbs over truck rating though.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:50 AM   #28

Wow, the DRV, Mobile Suites and such make truck options somewhat more limited! A DRV dealer recommended a 1 to 1.5 ton truck for any of the 43' 5ers in their lineup.

Now if you all could just donate to my 'need a new truck fund' ... i'd appreciate it.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv