Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2011, 10:17 PM   #29

Take a look at the Carriage lineup.

ptysonjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2011, 02:35 PM   #30

Will do ptysonjr, thx.
Old 06-22-2011, 05:44 AM   #31

Mid Atlantic Campers
Hi, since about two years we are searching for a 5th wheeler for fulltiming. It's hard because we still live in Germany and there are no 5er in Europe. But 3 weeks ago we had a very personally tour through the Heartland Factory and found our 4 season Landmark. I'm in love with the floorplan of the Key Largo. Sure it is not cheap but it will be our home for the next years.
Chrissy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimcumminsw View Post
Hi, first welcome to the forum.
You are on the right path in looking for information on a good four seasons 5er.
I would recommend purchasing a membership into RV consumer reviews. This is a non-profit organization that reviews RV units from 5ers to motor homes and everything in between. Most dealers use this as the bible for rating RV units and what they will pay for on trade-in.
Here is the link. http://www.jrconsumer.com/default.asp
Jim W.
I am not sure about that group but I just got taken for $149 from RV Consumers Group...very low quality, very poor presentation. I couldn't be more embarrassed than buying this garbage...just a warning.
RV Consumers Group
http://www.rv.org
kcaravelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:36 PM   #33

We're still researching with an eye to going FT in a few years. With that in mind, we toured some factories recently. Both of us toured Airstream and DRV, and then we split up at the Heartland Rally factory tours. I'd say that the Landmarks are on a par with the Select Suites, and the Mobile/Elite Suites are above them.

If you are buying new, keep in mind that DRV will do some customizing. For example, you can get an Elite Suites with the Corian countertops in place of the granite ones, and save quite a bit of weight. I suspect that there would also be a price difference, too, but we didn't talk about that.

We will probably be buying a used rig, whatever we decide on.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #34

Check out New Horizons RV

We had great luck with New Horizons RV (2004 model). They constantly update and add redesigned models, and now call their fivers "true four seasons" RV's.

Both JR Consumer Services and RV Consumer Group give New Horizons high ratings as fulltiming fivers.

They are a custom builder. Sometimes they sell off pre-build trailers that they use for show models, and you can have them build one of their example floorplans, but they prefer that you visit their factory in Junction City, KS, and work with them to create your own floorplan.

They probably do as much customization as any other manufacturer, or more.

For an idea of what is possible in a New Horizons RV, see Jack and Danielle Mayer's New Horizon RV web pages.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM   #35

kb0zke - good tip about the customization, if we had the $$ for a custom ordered rig, you are right there probably would be some things that could be done to lighten the load. Like you though I think our only chance for getting into one would be in the used market.
mactom- for those wanting bunk models (i know, maybe the minority) New Horizons looked great but didnt seem to have much in the bunk house floorplan, maybe a custom order could be had though. thanks
Old 07-01-2011, 05:47 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoemorn View Post
mactom- for those wanting bunk models (i know, maybe the minority) New Horizons looked great but didnt seem to have much in the bunk house floorplan, maybe a custom order could be had though. thanks
They really only do custom orders, anyway. The floorplans they show on their site are examples. They will build them if you insist, but they'd rather talk to you to see if you have special requirements (such as bunk beds).

I know that they are going to be at The Rally in Redmond, OR, July 14-17.

The Rally would be a good time to talk to reps from New Horizons, DRV, and any number of other manufacturers, plus RV'ers. Might be worth the trip. Kay and I are going to The Rally so that we can see what has changed since we came off the road in 2007 (we intend to get back on the road around 2013).
Old 07-03-2011, 05:07 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptysonjr View Post
Take a look at the Carriage lineup.
Ditto on that advice - - one of the top of the lines. They are not cheap, just good. If you think you can't afford a new one, look for a good one a couple years old like Dusty Rusty said - - save some bucks. Carriage has been around a long time and builds excellent coaches with great floor plans, one of the best frames made by them and excellent cabinetry again all done in their factory. Sure love ours.

Bob
Old 07-04-2011, 09:23 PM   #38

Thumbs up

I have owned An RV of some type for approx. 40 yrs. After researching for two years, I decided to go with a Keystone Montana. It is not over priced and I believe is as much RV as you can purchase for the money, IMHO. I have had it just over a year and am well satisfied.
lsessoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #39
Commercial Member

I own a mobile suite 36tk3, It's a rear living and three slides. We love it. I done some modifications to it like replaced all my pull out drawer slide plastic holders with wood suports and I added an electric heater coil to my central gas heater from comfort systems ( cheap heat ). Now I don't need gas to heat my RV, but still have the use of gas or electric ( just like the hot water tank ). I also am a dealer for this system due to no one in my area was a dealer.
Paw John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 12:20 PM   #40

Food for thought: When you are considering a new 5r, try to look deep enough in your research. For example Excel is a well known high end coach. So one would tend to throw them in with Mobile Suites and the likes and just buy them based on reputation alone. Fair enough if that's what you want to do. Now in my research on buying a new coach for full timing later this year I found out by reading through forums that an executive at Excel has acknowledged an engineering or production design flaw that was possibly the root cause of many complaints of leaks in the Excel coaches. He mentioned that about a year and a half ago Excel had corrected this flaw. That type of honesty on the part of a manufuacturer plays heavily into my decision to drop big money on their product. This research had also shown me that there is a well known brand that people often buy just on name alone which gave them serious problem in water leaks that were not their fault.
Point two....this same research taught me another important point. Excel still uses a wood frame. As they state on their website(you might want to read it yourself, it is interesting), they could switch to metal frames anytime but they chose to use wood because of its properties in handling condensation and heat transfer as well as a few other things.
Is Excel the brand of choice. I don't know. I only bring these points out because your research will prove most beneficial when you get past the floorpan stage and marketing hype and look under the carpet so to speak at just what you are buying.
Old 07-17-2011, 07:17 PM   #41

"Excel still uses a wood frame. As they state on their website(you might want to read it yourself, it is interesting), they could switch to metal frames anytime but they chose to use wood because of its properties in handling condensation and heat transfer as well as a few other things."

Interesting. I was on their website yesterday, looking at frame construction, and I thought I saw that it was steel. I just checked again, and it is steel. Are we talking about the same product? I'm looking at the Peterson Industries one.
easdsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 08:48 PM   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb0zke View Post
"Excel still uses a wood frame. As they state on their website(you might want to read it yourself, it is interesting), they could switch to metal frames anytime but they chose to use wood because of its properties in handling condensation and heat transfer as well as a few other things."

Interesting. I was on their website yesterday, looking at frame construction, and I thought I saw that it was steel. I just checked again, and it is steel. Are we talking about the same product? I'm looking at the Peterson Industries one.
Have a look at this video on their site. Four Season Coach Video - Excel RVs
They use wood in the floors and walls. The frame of course has to bee metal for many reasons. I was reading this on their site but now I'm only finding a video so you may want to email them on this matter.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv