Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-05-2011, 07:48 AM   #1

Good 4 season 5th wheel?

Husband and i are just starting our research. Want to get some input on a good 5th wheel for 4 season living. Husband works all over the country in construction. I'm tired of being home alone, so i will be traveling with him.
Looking for some info and input on a good 5th wheel(s) that will be comfortable in both hot and cold climates. Need all the info i can get!
Thanks!
SKOOTER60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-05-2011, 08:16 AM   #2

Hi, first welcome to the forum.
You are on the right path in looking for information on a good four seasons 5er.
I would recommend purchasing a membership into RV consumer reviews. This is a non-profit organization that reviews RV units from 5ers to motor homes and everything in between. Most dealers use this as the bible for rating RV units and what they will pay for on trade-in.
Here is the link. http://www.jrconsumer.com/default.asp
Most good quality four seasons units will be in the $75,000 neighborhood and you will need to tow then with a 1 ton Dually or larger. Such as a 4500 or 5500 Cab and Chassis truck with a 5er package on it.
Just my $0.02.
Jim W.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:22 AM   #3

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Skooter60, before we bought our motorhome we had a Hitchiker Champagne fiver. It was very will built and we had no problems going out in summer or winter. It is made by NuWa in Chanute, Kansas. It was warm in the winter and cool in the summer. The ceiling fan also helped to keep it comfortable. North Carolina in July is anything but cool. Inside the trailer was cool. Albuquerque, New Mexico in winter is cold. Inside the trailer snug as a bug.

Jerry
Old 06-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #4

I have read some about the nuwa. Would like to get a catalog on them.
I live in florida ( right now but hopefully not for long) there are rv dealers everywhere. Unfortunately my husband is working in s.d. Right now, so it's hard for us to look at them together. He will be home at the end of july for a month, so gathering all the info i can so we will have a good idea as to what we need to look at.
Thanks!
Old 06-05-2011, 11:00 AM   #5
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOTER60 View Post
I have read some about the nuwa. Would like to get a catalog on them.
I live in florida ( right now but hopefully not for long) there are rv dealers everywhere. Unfortunately my husband is working in s.d. Right now, so it's hard for us to look at them together. He will be home at the end of july for a month, so gathering all the info i can so we will have a good idea as to what we need to look at.
Thanks!
I have a Nuwa Discover America on order right now. The have no-haggle fixed prices on their website. I'm getting mine from the factory but they have some dealers around too.

You can get to their owner's forum from a link at NuWa Industries, Inc.. Lot's of owner's, prospective owners and the CEO is an active participant.
ljr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
I have a Nuwa Discover America on order right now. The have no-haggle fixed prices on their website. I'm getting mine from the factory but they have some dealers around too.

You can get to their owner's forum from a link at NuWa Industries, Inc.. Lot's of owner's, prospective owners and the CEO is an active participant.
So I assume buying direct from the factory is less expensive??? Don't mean to sound ignorant but..do you pick it up at the factory?
Old 06-05-2011, 01:15 PM   #7

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Nu Wa would work as would Mobile Suites. Just remember the good ones are heavy requiring at least a diesel dually.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKOOTER60 View Post
So I assume buying direct from the factory is less expensive??? Don't mean to sound ignorant but..do you pick it up at the factory?
Since I chose the factory route I can't really be certain but my understanding is that the price is as listed on the website either way.

I also chose to take delivery at the factory. There are other delivery options for additional $. I don't think buying through a dealer rules out factory delivery.

The Nuwa owner's forum would be a good place to ask questions like that. As I said, the CEO is an active participant so you can get definitive answers there.
Old 06-05-2011, 01:42 PM   #9

Since you husband travels, be sure to look at the frame specs of the rv you are interested in. You want a unit that's road-worthy as well as 4-season able. And consider floorplans carefully. Hubby might want a rear kitchen while you want a mid-kitchen. Personally, I prefer a mid-kitchen design and so does my wife. I second the advice above to get info from a dedicated rv research group, - spend the $ for a subscription to RV Consumer Group - We Rate RVs.
87_Fixr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 01:47 PM   #10
ljr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat320 View Post
Nu Wa would work as would Mobile Suites. Just remember the good ones are heavy requiring at least a diesel dually.
I'll initially be towing my Nuwa Discover America 300FK with an F-250 Diesel. On paper it works but I am pushing the envelope. As long as I'm careful about loading, I think I'll be ok until there's room in the budget for a new truck.
Old 06-05-2011, 02:04 PM   #11

When buying used, would you say it is better to buy from an individual or from a dealer?
Old 06-06-2011, 06:29 AM   #12

Research online and looking at as many used units as you can stand will help a lot in knowing when you find a good one.

www.rvtraderonline.com will have lots of new/used units all over the country to gather used pricing info from.

www.crankyape.com has bargains sometimes, but you usually have to bid without being able to see what you are buying.

Since you don't have a trade, dealing on price will be straight-up. But the better-made something is, the higher the selling price. There are always instances of finding a tow vehicle/trailer package when one of the owners passes away, or they get tired of traveling--luck plays a part in finding such a setup.

There is a big learning curve, and sometimes it can be expensive; having the attitude to 'walk away' from a deal at any time if it isn't to your liking willl serve you well.

Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:31 AM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljr View Post
I'll initially be towing my Nuwa Discover America 300FK with an F-250 Diesel. On paper it works but I am pushing the envelope. As long as I'm careful about loading, I think I'll be ok until there's room in the budget for a new truck.
"Pulling" is not the issue, any diesel will pull any NuWa fine...being able to handle the pin weight with a 3/4 ton is the problem. NuWa was on my short list, but I ruled them out as being too heavy for any 250/2500 series truck and I did not want a dually. Ended up with a dually anyway, but not the NuWa.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #14

My family has been researching for 4 season 5th wheels and currently Open Range and Dutchmen Komfort or Denali's are high on the list. you might look at their floorplans as well.

Tags
heartland, kz-rv