RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2019, 03:09 PM   #1

Good advice from some good people!

Howdy all'y'alls,

I have been lurking on the forum for a while and have to say that after participating on several forums over the years such as specialty brand or non brand specific cars, truck, motorcyles, and the like I find people on this forum tend to be very helpful, non-combative, non-judgmental, and just all around good folks. What is really refreshing is that so many women (DW's as I see they are referred to) share their own perspectives. Thank you for all the advise I have gleaned so far.

Although I grew up camping in everything from tents to camper shells to slide-ins, to pop ups, to TT's to 5th wheels, class C,B,& A's, we have been out of it for about 18 years.

After reading hundreds of threads and loads of research we pulled the trigger on a 2015 Glacier Peak. We have not set eyes or touched it yet but here in a few weeks will do so. I have been in touch with Outdoor RV to see if there were any model specific things to look for, any recalls, or warranty or scheduled repair on this rig. Nothing jumped out.

I have also reached out to Thomspon RV in Pendleton Oregon to see if they could send me a build sheet on it so I know exactly how it is equipped. It is a Platinum not Titanium edition. Any other suggestions or recommendations on leveling blocks and other necessary items?

Any advise on what Analyzer/Surge protector to purchase? What about a water pressure regulator? I could make one from parts found at a hardware store but I see RV stores sell them ready to plug and play. I have asked the dealer ship to provide me with the necessary items needed to hook up at any regular RV park but know that I have lots of things to add once i take possession.

Can anyone tell me what the D in DW stands for? Thank you in advance for any and all ideas and suggestions.

Guido Gamil is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2019, 03:16 PM   #2

"Duel Wheel", as in Dually pick up truck

nclauser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
"Dear Wives"
1Motorhome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:28 PM   #4

"Dear (or Darling) Wife." DH for husband.

Regulator - Renator M11 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX

Surge/voltage/polarity - Progressive EMS-PT30X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8

I have no affiliation with Renator, Progressive or Amazon. I use these products and satisfied with them.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:29 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Motorhome View Post
"Dear Wives"
That's one interpretation....
Daycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 03:32 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycruiser View Post
That's one interpretation....
Yeah, I thought it was a homonym for that structure that holds water back....
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2019, 04:04 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
Yeah, I thought it was a homonym for that structure that holds water back....
I hate to tell you but that was my initial thought too! But after reading how honorable and respectful people are on this forum I determined it had to be something else.

Wow, what quick responses!! I figured out that DRW is dual rear wheel so thought DW had something to do with the significant other some of us have. Darling Wife is what I am going to start calling mine but will call her DW for short. Thank you.
Old 01-24-2019, 04:18 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo_RV_Guy View Post
"Dear (or Darling) Wife." DH for husband.

Regulator - Renator M11 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N7JZTYX

Surge/voltage/polarity - Progressive EMS-PT30X https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N0W4CZ8

I have no affiliation with Renator, Progressive or Amazon. I use these products and satisfied with them.
Solo guy, thank you for the references. I might be ordering that water regulator this evening.

The Progressive SP looks pretty water tight. The video on the their link is for another product so hard to tell. According to the description it doesn't appear to have an analytical feature that I have found on other similarly priced products.
Old 01-24-2019, 05:40 PM   #9

I asked the exact same question when I joined a similar forum. Someone sent me a list if acronyms and meanings for the RV world. I printed it out, two full pages, single spaced, over 140 abbreviations. Still refer to it on occasion.
Old 01-24-2019, 07:02 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Motorhome View Post
"Dear Wives"
ditto...
Old 01-24-2019, 08:21 PM   #11

I'm not sure how the GP is connected to shore power, but I'd recommend doing a hardwire Progressive EMS if it's not too complicated. I really like Rhino for sewer tube and the new stainless hoses to hook up the water. You don't say what your towing with, but B&W and Anderson are good hitches t look at. You will have to work hard to beat ORV and Thompsons. Welcome back to the RV lifestyle.
Old 01-25-2019, 07:56 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtCamper View Post
I'm not sure how the GP is connected to shore power, but I'd recommend doing a hardwire Progressive EMS if it's not too complicated. I really like Rhino for sewer tube and the new stainless hoses to hook up the water. You don't say what your towing with, but B&W and Anderson are good hitches t look at. You will have to work hard to beat ORV and Thompsons. Welcome back to the RV lifestyle.
Thank you MtCamper,

I will look at the Rhino and Progressive EMS. Good advise!

For towing I have a 2018 GMC HD3500 duramax. Prior to that I had 2001 GMC HD2500 with a Reese 14000 lb slider hitch. The GP has a GVWR of 12995. It is just the DW and I and don't plan to have any other gear in the bed.

I used to tow a 1992ish 27' NUWa Hitchhiker but sold that back in 2003 so it has been a while since we RV'd. When I sold the truck this last July. I removed the hitch and will be installing that in the 3500.

I appreciate yours and any other advise so keep it coming!

We used to boondock at a lake with HH. With two kids (son and daughter) and two of their friends we could go about 8 to 10 days with out having to move the rig or charge batteries or add propane. I did carry extra fresh water so would add water as needed. Carried a small propane stove and cooked outside for most meals. No solar or generator. Boys were not allowed to use the RV toilet but girls were. We all cleaned up in the lake, and the DW was amazing at conserving battery power. If they got low I would charge with the truck.

Looking forward to getting out again and meeting fellow RVers. Cheers!
Old 01-25-2019, 08:25 AM   #13

I have a progressive EMS. mine is wired into the system not a plug in version. It works well and you don't have to worry about it walking away. I bought a pressure regulator with a gauge so I can see the water pressure. I found mine at Camping World and it cost about $60.
Another thing to add is a TPMS. Piece of mind to be able to see tire pressure and temp while driving.
bddadles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 11:36 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bddadles View Post
I have a progressive EMS. mine is wired into the system not a plug in version. It works well and you don't have to worry about it walking away. I bought a pressure regulator with a gauge so I can see the water pressure. I found mine at Camping World and it cost about $60.
Another thing to add is a TPMS. Piece of mind to be able to see tire pressure and temp while driving.
Thank you bddales. I am going to look in to that progressive EMS. Does it offer analysis as well? Can the lay person hard wire it in or does it take some serious electrical knowledge? You brought up a point I never considered about it "walking away". That never dawned on me. Does that kind of stuff happen in RV campgrounds? If so what is the world coming to?

TPMS, ever since this started showing up on vehicles, the last two I bought drive me nuts. The monitor always comes on when the temperature drops and forget it when you change wheels and tires from winter to summer. On my Lexus I have to take it to the dealer when I put my snow tires on for the season because of their pryitory (sp?) code. I have to take back to them when I put the summer set back on. A regular automotive shop or tire place cannot change it cuz the vehicle only has one slot for the TPMS.

With that said, I have pulled enough trailers over the years that I can see where that would come in handy. Thanks for the heads up, I will start researching. Any suggestions.

Does anyone on this forum know if there are any major differences between a 2015 Glacier Peak Platinum and a similar 2016 model Titanium series? I asked Outdoor and they could not equivocally say if there were. I have searched on line for specs and cannot find anythingoin 2015 models. I reached out to Thompson RV who originally sold this unit but have not heard back from them.

Tags
advice