Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-11-2016, 09:14 AM   #1

Good Sam Road Side Assistance

Looking for a roadside assistance organization. What is your opinion of Good Sam Road Side Assistance? Is this a good program? Are there others out there with a better track record?
Nick1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-11-2016, 09:26 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick1234 View Post
Looking for a roadside assistance organization. What is your opinion of Good Sam Road Side Assistance? Is this a good program? Are there others out there with a better track record?
Nick1234
Coach-net
https://coach-net.com/Products/Compare-premier
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:23 PM   #3

Good Sam Road Assistance

I carried Good Sam Assist. until I blew out a front tire on our truck while towing our 5th wheel last summer. We were about 10 - 15 miles out of Rugby, ND on a Sunday afternoon with temps in the 90s and high humidity. I have heart problems and carry towing ins. for this reason. Called Good Sam and was informed they have no contract in that area but they could send a sheriff. Told her I had a flat tire not a hold up. Long story short I was sitting along side the highway changing a 20inch tire in the heat.

The following week I spoke to a person who was at Fort Peck, Mt. and a flat tire, Good Sam didn't have coverage there either.

So it depends on where you travel.
Chaparral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 01:58 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Actually I've found that they are just about all the same. Keep in mind that they pretty much all use the same service provider..ie: tow truck company, etc. Therefore, based on that fact, you will typically be at the mercy of the person you first contact on the phone. If you get a knowledgable, experienced person...you'll be taken good care of. However, we read here (and on other forums) of the poor experiences people have received due to the fact that the person they've contacted doesn't really have the member's good interest in mind and the experience will be a poor one.'

What I've done in the past is when I feel I have a person who falls into the 2nd category, I'll hang up and redial until I get a different person. "Usually" that takes care of the problem.

So, Good Sam, Coach Net, AAA etc will all fulfill your needs, you just gotta be aware that you might get a dud on the line and you'll need to look elsewhere.....sometimes on your own and hope you can be reimbursed for costs incurred.

Good Luck

Ron
lanerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2016, 02:29 PM   #5

I've had Good Sam Roadside assistance for several years and have had good luck with them each time I needed assistance. Of course the four times I have used them I have been in populated areas in the eastern half of the USA, not out west.
The last time was on a Sunday evening in Alabama along I65 this spring when I had problems with my Ford Expedition; they got a tow truck to me within 30 minutes and stored the vehicle overnight until the Ford dealer opened the next morning for repairs, no extra charge. I was a very happy camper.

2012 Thor Freedom Elite 28Z
Muncie_6spd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #6

We've only had to use them once, and the experience was good. Gave me an estimated time-of-arrival to change a trailer tire of 90 minutes-help was there in an hour. We were in a safe location (rest area between Boise and Caldwell, Idaho).

They were actually able to pinpoint my location. We previously had Allstate Motor Club and had a blowout on I-70 just west of St. Louis, MO. I could see the mile marker, and the airport tower for the St. Louis airport. I gave the rep the MM on I-70, westbound, and she still couldn't pinpoint my location - said it would be 3 hours as the nearest provider was in a town I couldn't find on the map. In the meantime, a very pleasant and helpful MODOT ERV stopped with all the necessary equipment and helped me change the tire. Cancelled Allstate as soon as we got home.

Bob & Karen Tipton
2011 NuWa Hitchhiker 31.5 UKTG
2010 Dodge Ram 3500 DRW 6.7 CTD
Full-Time since September 2014
Btipton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2016, 09:56 AM   #7

We have used Good Sam twice with good results.

The first time our truck broke down while towing our 5th wheel. The Good Sam rep was having a hard time finding a service that was authorized to tow on the NYS Thruway which is a toll road. They asked if we could get it off the road at the next highway exit. Luckily we limped it to the next exit and found a parking lot. They sent 2 trucks, a flatbed for our truck and a pickup to tow the trailer. The pickup driver took the trailer and wife to the rv park located by the Good Sam rep, and the flatbed took the truck and I to the closest dealer. The dealer gave me a loaner and by the time I got to the rv park, the pickup driver had our trailer all set up!!! He owned a 5th wheel too!

The second time was a blowout on the trailer in Missouri. A tow truck arrived within an hour, changed out the tire with the spare, and gave us info on there to buy a new tire.

All in all could not ask for better service. With that being said, our new trailer came with Coach-net roadside asst. so we are double covered!!
donnandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 05:23 PM   #8

Good Sam Road Side Assistance

i have had their program sense '98 used it two times and will continue to us them as long as i get the service that i have gotten on two occasions. once a fuel issue on my MH in the wilds of New Mexico that was resolved with extreme courtesy by their contracted service provider and once with a tire blow out on my 5th wheel in the heart of Texas that was also a good experience be their contractor. i so totally hope that i do not need them again but i feel confident that they will be there for me
riverss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:05 PM   #9

Good Sam

Have used them three times with good results. Would highly recommend Good Sam.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2016, 07:07 PM   #10

Good Sam

Have used them three times with good results. Would highly recommend Good Sam. Hope I don't have to use them anytime soon.
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote