Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-04-2010, 08:23 PM   #1

Goodyear Chinese tires OK?

Ok.....So I buy a brand new 5th wheel....I find that they are running Goodyear marathon st 235/80 r16 with load range E......then I read all about the China manufactured tires :(....well low and behold I have them on my rig...the good thing, I think, is that they were made in Sept. 2009. Should I use them with care or deep six them. Do You think Goodyear will replace them with American made tires....need some ideas.

2011 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Ext Cab 4X4 6.6 Diesel Duramax, Allison 3:73
2010 Coachmen Northridge 320 RLQ 5ver
32coach is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-04-2010, 08:34 PM   #2

So, you bought a trailer with China bombs? Keep them on and be guaranteed of a blow out and damage sooner rather than later. Or switch to something like Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich commercial TA or similar quality tire.

450Donn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 08:49 PM   #3

at least your on 16"s thats a step in the right direction
My truck is a 08 F450 King ranch w 4:88 4x4 94 gal aux tank, Trailer Saver air hitch. 05 Holiday Rambler Next Level 38CK w480 watts of solar, wine guard 1200 dish, Moryde pin box & a lot of mods
Lewisclan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2010, 07:34 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Chinese tires....I would have checked and had the dealer put on something Made here.

Ken
Old 04-05-2010, 08:04 PM   #5
Administrator in Memoriam

Appalachian Campers
I'd insist the dealer pull the 'China Bombs' off and replace them with a domestic tire. Since they probably won't replace them, I suggest you replace them at your earliest opportunity. They will surely blow out and do damage to your rig and put lives and property at risk.
Old 04-19-2010, 01:21 AM   #6

I see no reason to worry about your Goodyear Marathons. They will be just fine if properly maintained and operated within their normal operating parameters. I doubt the dealer will replace them. Goodyear is a well established tire company and will stand by their tires no mater where they were manufactured.

FastEagle
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 12:48 PM   #7

yes goodyear warrantied 8 tires for me. Tire blowouts,buldge,tread peeling off,damage to fifth wheel. I will never run goodyear again.I ran goodyears for many years on cars,trucks,trailers,and rv's. Never again!!!!
Old 04-25-2010, 12:56 PM   #8

Before you ask, yes I know how to use a cat scale,and no my fifth wheel is not over weight.
Old 04-27-2010, 09:58 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeisme View Post
Before you ask, yes I know how to use a cat scale,and no my fifth wheel is not over weight.
You forgot speed and air pressure.

FastEagle
FastEagle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2010, 10:30 PM   #10
mgi

I have had considerable trouble with tires on my 17000 lb. fifth wheel. Twice threw off the tread once was a buldge and one blow out. I have 235-80 R 16s on now that are load range E and it is triple axle. Should be plenty of tire but obviously isn't. Goodyear did pay for all damage done by their tires with no hassel. I am going to a 235-85 R16 truck tire that is load range G. Hope that cures the problem. I am told there are no tires manufactured in the U.S. don't know if thats correct.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:03 AM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
If you want to know where your tire is made look at the first two digit of the DOT code.

Then go to

All the D.O.T. Tire Plant Codes

TST 507 w/ 10 Sensors
greystroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2010, 10:21 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 450Donn View Post
So, you bought a trailer with China bombs? Keep them on and be guaranteed of a blow out and damage sooner rather than later. Or switch to something like Michelin XPS Rib or BF Goodrich commercial TA or similar quality tire.
Thanks Donn. I have a different thread and asked a question about the BF Goodrich tires so i will order 4 for the trailer and 6 for the truck. I have never needed to use the spare on the trailer or truck.

Paul