Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #1

Anyone used these? We don't have a trailer yet, but are looking at about 35' for now for fulltiming. Any suggetions?

85' F350 4x4 ZF, Turbo'd 6.9l pushin' 10psi, nearly completed new interior, 3.55

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2002, 02:12 PM   #2

Anyone used these? We don't have a trailer yet, but are looking at about 35' for now for fulltiming. Any suggetions?

85' F350 4x4 ZF, Turbo'd 6.9l pushin' 10psi, nearly completed new interior, 3.55

Old 11-05-2002, 02:33 PM   #3

I live in TX and a lot of them are used here as people pull both horse trailers and 5ers. My Dealer says not to use one and the manual in my new 5er says not to use one. It supposedly puts too much extra strain on the pin.

03 Mako 5er, 99 Ford F250SD Auto. Minature Snauzer as co-pilot and "Brat".
Old 11-05-2002, 03:47 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Reese makes an adapter to tow a gooseneck trailer. It uses the same rails as my 5th wheel hitch.
Is this what you are asking? Or are you asking about taking a 5th wheel king pin hitch and making into a goose neck?
If that is you question. Don't do it! The front of the frame on a 5th wheel is significantly different that that of a gooseneck trailer. Look at a gooseneck trailer and look at the steel and reinforcing in the area of the front frame. If you try to use a goose neck hitch on a 5th wheel you will seriously damage the frame.
Chet

2000 F350 Lariat Limited Edition and a 32 ft. Cardinal 5th wheel.
Moderators have opinions too. It is O.K. to disagree with my statements.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:55 PM   #5
GB

Hi Perk, I personally can't think of one good think about a goose neck hitch, had'm disliked them. If you have a toolbox or a SC you can't see the ball, and you must be dead over the ball to hookup, they require saftey chains, and you have to get into the truck bed to lock the coupler. A 5th wheel hitch is up where you can see it and the king pin, you can be an inch or so out of algainment and it will hitch, no saftey chairs required with a king pin coupler, no strain on the pin box of the 5er. I helped an older gent this past Aug. he couldn't hookup by himself, boy what fun. They had to go some place with their truck so they unhooked, other wise he said they never unhook when they go to a campground.

Happy Trails GB
94 Bounder 34J
90 Mazda B2200 toad

GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 06:27 PM   #6

The break fivers!! Tore the welds right out of the fram on mine!!

Vaughn
Old 11-06-2002, 01:03 PM   #7

The main reason I wanted to go that route was so that I don't have the rails in the pickup bed, and I wouldn't have to have two hitches. My grandpa has the rails in the bed of his pickup, and they are a pain. I really want to find some way around it.

'85 F350 4x4 ZF, Turbo'd 6.9l pushin' 10psi, nearly completed new interior, 3.55
Old 11-06-2002, 01:22 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Take a look HERE at B&W's turnoverball gooseneck and their companion RV (double pivot 5th wheel) hitch. They leave a clean bed floor when neither is in use.

One possible solution.....

Rusty

--------------------

Tower - 2002 Dodge 3500 Cummins HO/6 speed/4.10LS SLT+ QC LB dually
Towee - 2000 Jayco Designer XL 3610RLTS 36' triple slide 5ver
Travel Companions - Our two Shelties, Brittany and the Bandit!
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 07:52 PM   #9

It really depends on how you 5er is built. I have a 30' with an Ultra-Hitch adapter on it. The trailer weighs around 10,500 loaded. I have drug it all over the east and to Montana this summer to a tune of over 10,000 miles without incident. I have also sen dozens of them through our campground when the pipeline welders come through. Most on 35-40 fott triple slide units. I have no problems hooking up as i devised a system of 2 magnetic poles that come together when i am over the ball. It isn't any worse than hooking up a travel trailer. You can't see the ball there either.

2000 F250 4x4 6spd PSD 3.73 Western Diesel Chip, Guages & Ram-Air.
My Truck 83,000 Miles. My Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers.

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2002, 08:21 PM   #10

Run a search on this subject here and on any other camping forum you wish to visit. Add the pros and cons to a tally sheet to reach your personal decision. You'll find many disaster stories from using them. I can't imagine why anyone wants to try the adaptors after this exercise. A fifth wheel hitch is much stronger -as built- or you'd see the OTR semi-trucks using goosenecks. Some fifth wheel RV mfgrs will void the warranty if you use a gooseneck adaptor that bolts to the RV pin box.

Remain laidback and unruffled, camping is great!
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 03:33 AM   #11

Perk, Go to the towing forum on the ford diesel web site and do a search there also, here is a link.

http://forums.thedieselstop.com/ubbt...t=&Board=UBB16

I also would like to get rid of the rails in the bed of the truck, but after much homework, have found that if I want to pull my 5th this is what I must live with! I have checked out a B&W hitch that doesn't have rails. The whole 5th wheel hitch drops into a gooseneck ball hole, but have heard from many that use this system that it flexes real bad.
Take a look at each 'rail' type systems and choose one that will somewhat work for you when the bed is empty.

2000 wanderer 315 fifth wheel
2001 F350 CC PSD SRW 4X4
Honda EU 2000
Photos
Old 11-08-2002, 06:57 AM   #12

The other thing to consider is Ultra-Hitch has a 1 million dollar liability on there product and to my knowledge has never had a failure claim. Thats what sold me on there product.

2000 F250 4x4 6spd PSD 3.73 Western Diesel Chip, Guages & Ram-Air.
My Truck 83,000 Miles. My Campground Southeast Diesel rally North Florida Dealer for Western Diesel Performance, Ultra Hitch goosneck adapters American fuel/tool tanks and Jordan Brake Controllers.

Got rid of my junk 03 6.0 diesel!!!!!!
mjstef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:16 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by mjstef:
The other thing to consider is Ultra-Hitch has a 1 million dollar liability on there product and to my knowledge has never had a failure claim.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this cover only their adapter or does it also cover damage to the 5th wheel pin box and/or frame to which it is attached? I really wouldn't expect the adapter to fail if it's adequately designed for the application. The problem is, many (most?) 5th wheel frames and pin boxes are not designed for the stresses imposed by a gooseneck hitch arrangement. Why should they be???

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2002, 07:30 AM   #14

Most companies that have the "Product Liability Insurance" only cover the item and nothing else. Any incidental damage that is caused by the use of their product is just "tuff luck".

Rich & Kim, Oreo too
<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font> <font color=black>TrailAir pinbox</font>
<color=yellow>Solar</font>, <font color=#669966>Makita Genset</font>
<font color=blue>WHR Blue Mesa Ranch,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>

<A HREF="http://rk-enterprises.home.att.net">RV Hints and Tips

<font color=blue>F250 Supercab</font>, <font color=#33ccff>Prowler 5ver,</font>,</font><font color=red> Colorado Springs CO</font>
RichB is offline   Reply With Quote