Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-03-2016, 12:11 PM   #1
Goose neck hitch?

I have seen a couple of fairly large 5th wheels with goose neck type hitches in my town lately. They look to me like they aren't strong enough, because the part that takes the place of the pin box is just a shaft about 18" long.
I did a search here but didn't find anything about this. I'd like to know why the folks are using this type of hitch, and if you guys think it would be a good idea.

3thumbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2016, 02:20 PM   #2
You might want to look at this...
ever see a pin box failure like this?

Monkey, pilot of a Great Dane hauler,
2015 Silverado 2500 Duramax/Alison 4x4 CrewCab 2016 Cougar 28SGS
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:57 AM   #3
Originally Posted by 3thumbs View Post
I'd like to know why the folks are using this type of hitch, and if you guys think it would be a good idea.
My neighbor chose this type of hitch because he packs a lot of stuff in the truck bed. And I don't think that it is a good idea. But he never listens anyhow.
'14 RAM Longhorn,DRW,4x4,CC, LB, 4.10, Aisin, 70gal underbed fuel tank.
Lifestyle 36FW, 8000lb axles, disk brakes, 19,100lbs
Andersen AL Ultimate hitch
rskeans is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 07:37 PM   #4
Reese makes a "Goosebox" good for 20K. I pull my 40 ft Raptor with great confidence. I chose a gooseneck because I have multiple gooseneck trailers and already had the hitch. The Reese Goosebox replaces the pinbox on the trailer and is much more substantial and includes an airbag for ride quality. It's not as quick to couple as a fifth wheel, but as earlier stated, you have increased bed usage.
tbiesenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 11:55 PM   #5
If the pin box hasn't been engineered to use/accept a gooseneck style hitch and/or an adapter... I personally wouldn't install the adapter... the extra moment of leverage is more than most pin boxes can withstand... and like mentioned above... it will fracture and break apart when you least expect it...

I've also seen some people add pin boxes that extend the space between the truck and 5er... this type of extension can also add additional leverage and lead to problems...

However most horse trailers, and commercial trailers are manufactured and engineered to use the gooseneck style hitch.... the key word here is that mechanical PE (professional engineer) has ran the numbers and will certify that the numbers mean the hitch is safe... within normal safety standards..
jelag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
I agree with jelag, the "adapters" are not a recommended way to convert to a gooseneck. In fact, Lippert will not stand behind their product in most cases. I did extensive research before making my decision and verified I would not affect any manufacturers warranties. And safety was #1. Make sure you do your homework. Cheap is rarely the best choice.
tbiesenbach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:53 AM   #7
Hitching is the wrong area to be cheap.
2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #8
Mine came with one when I bought it but I took it off after researching the different forums. I'm not an engineer but a lot of what they say made sense and it wasn't designed for such a device.

I'm new to this and I've been "scouting" some local campgrounds out and noticed that I see maybe 1 or 2 of the 5th wheels using the GN adapters. In my mind that tells you something.
merc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #9

Known to be hard on the pin box and frame.... as in tearing them apart.
2014 Raptor 300MP, 2014 Cowboy Cadillac - Ram 3500 Crew Cab Long Bed Longhorn 6.7 Cummins Turbo Diesel DRW 4.10 Rear End, Firestone Airbags, Curt Q20.
raineman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2016, 09:36 AM   #10
Many manufacturers will void the warranty with their use which also tells you something when they are afraid of a failure before the 1-3 year warranty runs out.

Gigattime is offline   Reply With Quote