Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-23-2014, 02:59 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanmcgill View Post
The salesman at the hitch dealer gave my truck a quick look and made his statement. Either he was very experienced and really knew what he was doing or he was very new and really didn't know what he was doing. I felt like there had to be a better answer than the one I got. I think he was more interested in the money then trying to solve the problem.
This is usually true, personally I get many opinions before I chose. I've literally asked 10 people and gotten 10 different answers about done things before, lol! Just cause they work there doesn't mean they know anything and quite often they don't. Forums are really the same, most people have no clue what they are talking about and you have to wade though 9 clueless ones to find the 1 that does know. Never take the first answer you get, that's burned me more than once.

For example ive only used the gooseneck adapter and ive had no problems, others have used the b&w companion with no problems, others the anderson. Some have problems with all 3, mostly likely due to operator error, but no one I've seen yet has used all 3 long enough to have enough experience with each to say which is better do you gotta keep an open mind and ask why person A has problems with product B. More often than not he didn't know and is doing something wrong creating the issue himself, but if 100 people have same problem it's likely a bad design.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-23-2014, 03:17 AM   #44
rtz

Notice the I-Beams and the large triangular gussets:

Little bit lighter duty design here:

If only the coupler or attachment was changed and not the mounting point; that would be one thing. But to adapt that 5th wheel down to the ball in the bed; just too much leverage for me.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 AM   #45
rtz

A good video on some hitch considerations:

Old 10-23-2014, 09:17 AM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtz View Post
Notice the I-Beams and the large triangular gussets:

Little bit lighter duty design here:

If only the coupler or attachment was changed and not the mounting point; that would be one thing. But to adapt that 5th wheel down to the ball in the bed; just too much leverage for me.
Yea you are 100% correct for the larger heavier trailers over 30 foot for sure, also note the landing gear difference. Some campers are built pretty cheeseball light in the quest to keep weight down. I'd have to think they could use better stronger legs at the very least though. I'm having issues with mine getting stuck and blowing fuses and think they may be bent. Dumped 1/2 quart of oil down each one and that helped, well see for how long though, haven't used it since but going out this weekend.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:49 AM   #47

I would very much like to have a drawing like the above for my Alpenlite 33 St. Andrews. It would be great to know how my Rv was framed.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:54 AM   #48

It's all well and good that some have gotten away with using gooseneck adaptors but that doesn't change the fact that the manufacturers will void the warranty such adapters are used. IMO that speaks volumes.
Old 10-25-2014, 02:53 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2 View Post
It's all well and good that some have gotten away with using gooseneck adaptors but that doesn't change the fact that the manufacturers will void the warranty such adapters are used. IMO that speaks volumes.
I've talked to quite a few people on the subject, very few have seen them cause issues, I pulled my 30 foot keystone cougar over 6000 miles with one with zero issues. Just bought a b&w companion today because all you guys kinda scared me but I had them check my frame and there was zero damage so I maintain 30 foot or smaller well made trailers with proper TBC settings will have no problems, cheaper made light frame trailers may also have issue, but mine and everyone around here I've talked to have not had problems.

Only problems I've heard of were with incorrect set trailer brakes or 40 foot plus huge trailers or both after about ten years of use so basically I spent a grand for nothing, thanks guys, haha! I do think the companion rides a tish smoother but I've not gotten many miles on it yet so maybe all in my head.

Zero clearance issues and I asked the camper dealer if they've had any clearance issues with new trucks and any hitches and they said zero, so I'm guessing you guys with those problems just don't know how to set it up correctly or have goofy non adjustable hitch trailers or receiver plates. Not an issue around here and they have patriot, Anderson, gooseneck adapter and b&w companions.
Old 10-25-2014, 08:56 AM   #50

Send a message via ICQ to wandering1
Real simple, do you need a goose neck hitch???????
Old 10-25-2014, 04:21 PM   #51

This is what Quad and I use.
Attached Images

Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2014, 08:49 PM   #52

That's the one I was referring to way back towards the beginning of this thread.

If ya gotta go goose, this would be the best route.
L.C.Gray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2014, 05:17 PM   #53

I thought it was.
Whitewolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2014, 07:33 AM   #54

Do you have a pic of how that attaches to the trailer? Cost??? Also in looking up the Anderson Ultimate adapter for the GN the pressure check they showed was a straight down force. I doubt that would be the problem. The force should be applied fore and aft. That's where the most force is applied when on the road. They don't say anything about that.
I'd like to thank all of you for sharing your knowledge of this subject. I for one have learned a lot about these hitches. Pete
Old 10-27-2014, 09:38 AM   #55

Check out the Reese Goosebox on the site etrailer.com and they have links to YouTube's that show the installation. Same site is good source for the Andersen also.
Old 11-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by SultanGris View Post
I've talked to quite a few people on the subject, very few have seen them cause issues, I pulled my 30 foot keystone cougar over 6000 miles with one with zero issues. Just bought a b&w companion today because all you guys kinda scared me but I had them check my frame and there was zero damage so I maintain 30 foot or smaller well made trailers with proper TBC settings will have no problems, cheaper made light frame trailers may also have issue, but mine and everyone around here I've talked to have not had problems.

Only problems I've heard of were with incorrect set trailer brakes or 40 foot plus huge trailers or both after about ten years of use so basically I spent a grand for nothing, thanks guys, haha! I do think the companion rides a tish smoother but I've not gotten many miles on it yet so maybe all in my head.

Zero clearance issues and I asked the camper dealer if they've had any clearance issues with new trucks and any hitches and they said zero, so I'm guessing you guys with those problems just don't know how to set it up correctly or have goofy non adjustable hitch trailers or receiver plates. Not an issue around here and they have patriot, Anderson, gooseneck adapter and b&w companions.
I would not normally post this but you are uninformed about clearance issues with newer chevy and dodges. You will not see it with smaller new fifthers but the older High end units, Teton, TS, DRV, etc. are very tall and low to ground. Level enough to run, not level, we only had 3" bed clearance. That is with tallest tires we could get on Teton also. Had to install a hauler bed. We have over 5k pin also. jfyi

2003 Teton Grand Freedom. 2006 Freightliner Century 120 with Detroit 14L and Ultrashift.. Full time going from job to job. Building and maintaining plants across the USA. Sold 2006 Mobile Suites 32TK3
glennwest is offline   Reply With Quote