Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-17-2012, 11:35 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC
Forgive me my cynicism, but I suspect the marketing types may have overriden the engineers on this decision since it appears that Lippert is getting a cut on every one of these Reese Goose Boxes that are sold.

Full article HERE.

Rusty
Cynicism, lack of trust I understand... I work as a manager for facilities and security.
People that know me would say sarcasm also...

I am not saying I have tried, or would try their product, skeptical, yes....
...but I did buy a 2011 6.7l Ford .... I did wait for job 2 in my defence...
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-17-2012, 01:30 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
And it all goes back to the fact that there are a lot of products on the market today that are dictated by marketing "experts" rather than engineers. The Goose Box falls into the same hole.

Marketing hype will try to change the facts. The basic rules of physics cannot be changed and that is a fact.

A longer lever arm and the same force will produce more torque which means more stress.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:07 PM   #17

Ken,
I will agree that I am making an assumption that he is referring to total operation and he does not specifically point out angular stress on the pin box, and we do not know the tolerance of "similar".

Rich Pilarski, Bosch senior engineer, reports, “The overall results showed that the Goose Box was very similar in performance to the standard (fifth wheel) pin box.”

Some warranty info: (page 6)
http://reeseprod.com/content/downloa..._Pin_Boxes.pdf
Old 06-17-2012, 05:20 PM   #18

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BCooke View Post
Rich Pilarski, Bosch senior engineer, reports, “The overall results showed that the Goose Box was very similar in performance to the standard (fifth wheel) pin box.”
Unless they strain gauged (or gaged) the frame and tested the 5th wheel pinbox and the Reese Goose Box, they have no way to document the change in stresses induced in the frame itself. Otherwise, their comments are merely subjective impressions. Apparently Bosch only tested for "ride":

Quote:
Independent lab tested & proven to provide a better ride than king pin “bolt-on” adapter solutions (Bosch Automotive Proving Grounds).

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 05:33 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rusty, wonder if they even have the stain gauge equipment or know how to use them.

I have seen more than my fair share of people that claim to be engineers, but based on their performance as "engineers", I am ashamed to share the profession with them.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
Old 06-17-2012, 08:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nobbymag View Post
Hello all. Just bought our first RV and the whole family is excited. I bought a 5th jayco with a gooseneck adapter. My father hauled it for me so we had to take the adapter off so he could pull it with his 5th wheel hitch. After getting it home, I reassembled the gooseneck to find that it doesn't have a locking pin like the other goosenecks I have pulled. It is made by bulldog and fairly new. Am I missing parts or what? Thanks for any info
Come on guys the op isn't asking about your opinions on the use a GN adapter which are just that. This engineer trump card thing is driven in the ground ad nauseous. Time to put it to bed as its way overdone on this forum.

I would contact Bulldog and get their input for your particular year model adapter. Looking at Bulldogs web shows they advertise the adapter with a locking devise. Some LD are built in and some are a seperate clamp around system. Check out Bulldogs website.
JIMNLIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 PM   #21

As a CE.i have ran the numbers. I know what the g/n can handle. I was just wondering what I was missing.
Nobbymag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 11:15 PM   #22

Not being an engineer and not having a dog in this fight--I don't think anyone doubts the G/N adapter can handle the stress, it's the frame of the trailer that might have a problem.
I DID try an adapter on my 17k Suites--did all the mounting bolts (grade 8) as told and promptly pulled the pin out of the pin box (weld failed). Adapter was fine, mount was still firmly attached--I just had a king pin that was sitting at about a 45d angle hanging by a partial weld. Now this was an original Lippert pin box and the trailer had been towed several times by conventional hitch and held. Needless to say, the adapter went back to mfg.
Joe
'05 36TK3 Mobile Suites--retired but not forgotten
wingnut60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:16 AM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Not being an engineer and not having a dog in this fight--I don't think anyone doubts the G/N adapter can handle the stress, it's the frame of the trailer that might have a problem.
I DID try an adapter on my 17k Suites--did all the mounting bolts (grade 8) as told and promptly pulled the pin out of the pin box (weld failed). Adapter was fine, mount was still firmly attached--I just had a king pin that was sitting at about a 45d angle hanging by a partial weld. Now this was an original Lippert pin box and the trailer had been towed several times by conventional hitch and held. Needless to say, the adapter went back to mfg.
Joe
This is the reason the RV manufacturers void warranties, the frames on these trailers are NOT designed to take the stress put on them by the goose neck adapter.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:41 AM   #24

Customer: I'll take that 36' unit over there.
Salesman: Excellent choice sir, would you like that with a standard fifth wheel or the optional gooseneck hitch?

How hard could that be?
Old 06-20-2012, 01:09 PM   #25

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingnut60 View Post
Bingo...that's the bottom line.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 06:11 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I am tired of trying to explain this concept to folks that want to believe marketing hype. So believe what you want. I do not feel that I wasted 5 years getting an mechanical engineering degree, getting my professional engineer license and 42 more years in the engineering field.

What do you say Rusty?

Ken
Old 06-20-2012, 08:58 PM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I have hauled Goose neck stock trailers with heavy loads and never a problem.
I have also worked on RV trailers. Most RV trailer frames that I have seen are minimal at best. It's no wonder they have no faith in their Trailers ability to handle a goose neck adapter.
It's a wonder that the fifth wheel hitch became the favored hitch over the simple and stong goose neck.
Pvt. E1 Retired, Shadow Hills,Ca.
Chuck 1935 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2012, 12:45 AM   #28

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck 1935 View Post
It's a wonder that the fifth wheel hitch became the favored hitch over the simple and stong goose neck.
What design do over-the-road tractor trailers use? 5th wheel, right? In fact, a 5th wheel RV can be pulled by a Class 8 OTR tractor using its standard 5th wheel hitch - the kingpin diameter is the same.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote