Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-15-2012, 08:35 PM   #1

Gooseneck adapter

Hello all. Just bought our first RV and the whole family is excited. I bought a 5th jayco with a gooseneck adapter. My father hauled it for me so we had to take the adapter off so he could pull it with his 5th wheel hitch. After getting it home, I reassembled the gooseneck to find that it doesn't have a locking pin like the other goosenecks I have pulled. It is made by bulldog and fairly new. Am I missing parts or what? Thanks for any info

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-15-2012, 09:24 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do a search for Goose Neck Adapter and you will find lots of reading on the subject. Most manufactures will void any frame warranty if you use one.

As an engineer, I recommend that they not be used on a 5th wheel trailer.

Welcome to iRV2.

Ken

Old 06-16-2012, 05:38 AM   #3

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXiceman View Post
Do a search for Goose Neck Adapter and you will find lots of reading on the subject. Most manufactures will void any frame warranty if you use one.

As an engineer, I recommend that they not be used on a 5th wheel trailer.

Welcome to iRV2.

Ken

Not only does Ken not recommend the use of the goose neck adapter, but when I worked at an RV dealer we we told by factory reps that it will create too much stress on the trailer frame which will lead to cracking.
blackf3504dr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 12:49 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
On the other hand I pulled one for close to 10 years with the gooseneck coast to coast. So you will hear both opinions.
Don't know witch is right.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:53 PM   #5

Welcome to IRV2 and Enjoy your new toy!
Old 06-16-2012, 12:55 PM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Opinions don't matter, you need to find out for sure if YOUR frame can handle a goose neck. Call them and find out. I had a Keystone Montana for five years, using a goose neck was a good way to void the warranty and risk serious damage to the RV.
Cat320 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 03:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It is not a matter of opinion, it is basic engineering that tells you the moment arm is longer and the stresses are higher on the area of the pin box attachment to the frame. Sure some pull a trailer with the G/N adapter and get by without damaging the trailer. It is usually smaller trailer, and there is apparently enough frame that it is not damaged.

But I have seen two large high end trailer with all of the skin pulled off the front having repairs done to them. The pin box area was over stresses and cracked with damage due to the use of a G/N adapter.

There are lots of products on the market that should not be sold. But people will buy them and they stay on the market.

Ken
Old 06-16-2012, 03:31 PM   #8

All that being said, the Bulldog units I'm familiar with have a collar that slides over the loose side of the coupler to latch it, with a locking pin behind it.
Old 06-17-2012, 07:20 AM   #9

There are also engineers that believe differently, but not all items, no matter what they are, are created the same.

http://www.reeseprod.com/content/pro...7390%20&part=0
Old 06-17-2012, 07:44 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
The Reese Goose Box doesn't change the geometric problem associated with a gooseneck adapter by one iota. The offset between the frame and the gooseneck ball that creates a torque and increased loading on the 5th wheel frame is still there. It's not opinion, it's basic statics and dynamics.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
This is basic mechanical engineering the is learned by 1st year engineering students. As Rusty said, the Goose Box does not change the geometry and I would not trust anything that comes from the bunch of so-called engineers at Reese.

Ken
Old 06-17-2012, 08:31 AM   #12

Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to jdoc
Next time you see a goose neck trailer look at the steel that is used to reinforce the neck part of it. You will usually see 2 or 3 pieces of angle iron welded to it going back up to the frame. Those pieces of angle are what give the g/n it's strength. Now find a picture or an exposed fifth wheel set up. You will see when the g/n extension is installed there isn't anything going back up to the frame to keep the neck stable while you are towing it down the road. The end result could be catastrophic. It is not pretty and, it is expensive to have repaired. RV labor rates are high and if a welder has to be called in that it is even higher. Some where back in the old posts of IRV2 RustyJC put up a very nice drawing of the forces that are applied by using one of these adapters.to the framing of a fifth wheel. Don't know if you can find it now or not but, it was very good explanation of what could happen.

Jerry
jdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2012, 11:32 AM   #13

I do understand you gentlemen, and respect the years you have as engineers. I also take into account that Reese and Lippert are not fly by night, or insert your favorite name metal shop, companies and if there is sound engineering calculations to prove the information put forth by Reese also implicating Lippert as a co conspirators to commit fraud, if their statements can be proven to the contrary, as to the implied use of Reese's product, through both a OE and/or aftermarket status, as a means to tow an amount of weight by a goose neck attachment of a product manufactured by Lippert, is from a safety stand point, unsound please due the community a service and let them know.
If there is a chance that those engineering groups found a part in the "calculation" previously unknown or , as breaking the sound barrier, building a plane with forward swept wings that will fly, hard drives who's density is still increasing, pickups with 400 hp from the factory, found a variable or accounts for stresses, while it may not practical or recommended by the masses (or first choice), is sound, please acknowledge it.
Acknowledging, what I would think is a engineered product, and recommending against, by you gentlemen, it is far more credible than coming out with a blanket statement something can not be done because of engineering 101 calculations. That makes someone wonder if calculations with variables introduced in SE204 allows it or not.
In case it is not understood, there is no disrespect intended, only a different view on the information.
Old 06-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Forgive me my cynicism, but I suspect the marketing types may have overriden the engineers on this decision since it appears that Lippert is getting a cut on every one of these Reese Goose Boxes that are sold.

Quote:
GOSHEN, Ind. -- Lippert Components, Inc., a subsidiary of Drew Industries Incorporated (NYSE) and a leading supplier of components for the RV industry, announced yesterday that it has been designated the exclusive supplier to the RV industry of Cequent Performance Products’ innovative new patent pending Reese® “Goose Box™” adaptor for gooseneck hitches.
Full article HERE.

Rusty

2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote