Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-16-2017, 05:34 PM   #1

Gooseneck vs king pin?

We're getting ready to set up with a Mountain Fox 235RLS fiver towed by a 3500 Silverado Duramax, crew cab, standard bed (6'6"). We plan to boondock 90% of the time (yep, steep, washboard BLM & FS roads and such).

Warranty issues aside, for that kind of use should we consider switching from the standard king pin to a gooseneck hitch. I'm concerned about the twisting and turning on those narrow, rough roads.

Also, if sticking with a king pin would a dampered pin box be a great asset (shock absorbers or Teflon plates)? Don't want to shake things up too much if possible.
CascadeBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-16-2017, 06:31 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
My brother hauls his cattle up to the summer range with a 34 foot gooseneck trailer. It goes places most people wouldn't drive without a trailer! The ball is the best way for crossing ditches and turning around when you have to go off the road. IMHO.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CascadeBob View Post
We're getting ready to set up with a Mountain Fox 235RLS fiver towed by a 3500 Silverado Duramax, crew cab, standard bed (6'6"). We plan to boondock 90% of the time (yep, steep, washboard BLM & FS roads and such).

Warranty issues aside, for that kind of use should we consider switching from the standard king pin to a gooseneck hitch. I'm concerned about the twisting and turning on those narrow, rough roads.

Also, if sticking with a king pin would a dampered pin box be a great asset (shock absorbers or Teflon plates)? Don't want to shake things up too much if possible.
If you go GN, then the only safe option is the Andersen Ultimate. Any other puts more stress on the fiver frame. Also the Ultimate elevated ball position is easier for hook-ups. That said, the extra rotation of a ball mount provides greater movement if the truck has a flat bed or using a real GN trailer with extra clearance. Fifth wheel hitches have only a few degrees of side tilt to prevent truck and trailer contact on rough roads. With a GN setup, you will have to pay careful attention.
dayle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:46 PM   #4

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayle1 View Post
If you go GN, then the only safe option is the Andersen Ultimate. Any other puts more stress on the fiver frame. Also the Ultimate elevated ball position is easier for hook-ups. That said, the extra rotation of a ball mount provides greater movement if the truck has a flat bed or using a real GN trailer with extra clearance. Fifth wheel hitches have only a few degrees of side tilt to prevent truck and trailer contact on rough roads. With a GN setup, you will have to pay careful attention.
That is incorrect.

The Reese Goose Box functions like a gooseneck without voiding frame warranties .

http://www.lci1.com/goose-box

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
drfife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 06:58 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfife View Post
That is incorrect.

The Reese Goose Box functions like a gooseneck without voiding frame warranties .

Goose Box by Reese

You are right, the goosebox does not void warranties and it functions like every gooseneck except for the Ultimate. Meaning the ball is still on the floor of the truck bed, so invisible to the driver. But it still has a longer lever on the fiver frame and added stress is only mitigated by the internal dampening and design. It likely offers less dampening than the best air hitches and pin boxes available. So, if I was forced to use a ball setup, it would be my second choice behind the Ultimate.
Old 01-16-2017, 07:01 PM   #6

Excel Owners Club
The Goose Box does not require removing anything from the truck bed. Not so with the Ultimate.

The Goose Box also has a shock to dampen forces. Not so with the Ultimate.

For what it's worth, I use neither. I have a B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion hitch.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-16-2017, 07:36 PM   #7

Quote:
The Goose Box does not require removing anything from the truck bed. Not so with the Ultimate.

The Goose Box also has a shock to dampen forces. Not so with the Ultimate.

For what it's worth, I use neither. I have a B&W Turnover Ball with B&W Companion hitch.

As I stated, with a Goose Box, the ball is still on the truck bed floor. And with a Goose Box, the only dampening available is what it has built in. As far as I know, the Ultimate will work with any aftermarket pin box except the Sidewinder, so multiple dampening choices. And the Ultimate is the lightest elevated hitch, so not much issue removing it. Anyway, I also use neither, just a simple Reese 15k, breaks down in two pieces, no tools needed for removal.
Old 01-16-2017, 09:03 PM   #8

Bob, You're probably tired of me by now, but, I'm back! You mentioned warranty or lack thereof. Many(most) manufacturers will void the warranty for this reason: the torque applied to the trailer frame is multiplied by use of the gooseneck. Think of it as a big lever! The engineering design differences between a "gooseneck" trailer and a "kingpin" type are fairly dramatic. The "gooseneck" is generally of I-beam construction, heavily gusseted at the intersections of the frame. The typical "kingpin" does not have the gusseting that a "gooseneck" would have for equal load carrying capabilities. Many folks have done it, and gotten away with it. But, many develope stress fractures of the frame, ultimately causing seperations of the frame and unit wall damage in the nose section of the camper. I'm not familiar with the "Ultimate" system, it may be a good way to go!!! If it were my 5er, I'd "Not" use the older, conventional, adapter design. memtb
memtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2017, 09:26 PM   #9

Excel Owners Club
Reese claims the Goose Box does not cause the same problems as gooseneck adapters and does not void frame warranties.

'16 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Old 01-17-2017, 07:37 AM   #10

Quote:
Reese claims the Goose Box does not cause the same problems as gooseneck adapters and does not void frame warranties.

Not exactly, they say it is endorsed by Lippert, but Lippert can still deny a claim. Only if Lippert did the actual installation of the Goose Box would it leave the frame warranty intact. But by using the 5th Airborne system, they have made it about as safe as they can.

Even the lifetime warranty on the Goose Box itself has limitations as stated:
"There are no other warranties, express or implied, including the warranty of merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose. This warranty is not transferable." So if there was a problem and Lippert denied a claim, even Reese won't be liable either. And 2nd owners have zero protection.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:13 PM   #11

I've had both. In my opinion, I pull my cows and tractors around with the ball, but I have a B&W Companion for my Fifthwheel. It just pulls more comfortably than the gooseneck adapter did.
cwleczyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2017, 09:28 PM   #12

I bought a new Arctic fox 27.5L with the Moride pinbox . I had the dealer take off the Moride and install the Reese Goosebox. The Goosebox has both an air bag and dual shock absorbers. It tows like a dream behind my 3500 SRW Duramax shortbox. No bucking or jaring, or cracking and popping noises. I have always liked gooseneck hitches, because I am rarely parked on pavement. As stated in an earlier post, they flex and pivot much easier. I have previously been using a gooseneck adapter for at least 30 years while pulling a boat or an ATV trailer behind our camp trailer. If there is a disadvantage for me, I do have to get out of the truck a few times, if I'm by myself to line up the ball. The advantage of having a clean truck bed for me, far outweighs any short comings.
I believe any hitch not hooked up right can fail. The only hitch I personally saw fail, was a 5th. wheel slider. New truck and trailer right in the middle of an intersection. I don't think his hitch failed, I don't think he got it right. As far as safety goes, I think more old people have pulled their back out than gooseneck hitch failures. This is what makes the Anderson ultimate hitch an attractive alternative to the 5th wheel hitch. Just my opinion Dave-R