Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-17-2014, 09:36 PM   #1

Grand Design 5er's

I have not seen a whole lot of talk about the Grand Design rvs . I know they are fairly new to the game . If you look at their site and read their literature , they look like very nice rigs. Does anybody have experience with them ? They look like they are worth further investigation.
jim81147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
they are on my short list for replacing my class A with, that's for sure.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 12:27 PM   #3

Here is a you tube video about the company and what they would like to do for their business plan.

Legacy | Grand Design RV | Don Clark | Ron Fenech | Bill Fenech

My DW and I are also looking at the Solitude 369RL model.

Jim W.
Old 10-18-2014, 01:30 PM   #4

We've got a 369RL, and love it. This is our 3rd 5th wheel, and by far the nicest. Had it for over a year and a half with about 10,000 miles so far..
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2014, 03:33 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsport View Post
We've got a 369RL, and love it. This is our 3rd 5th wheel, and by far the nicest. Had it for over a year and a half with about 10,000 miles so far..
what are any of the shortcomings that you might be finding? Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-19-2014, 10:23 AM   #6

Biggest short coming which is subjective is they only offer one color choice for interiors. No options for chair color, floor color or valance color. What you see is what you get.
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2014, 08:53 AM   #7

really, i have to sit here and think about whether there is any real shortcomings..
we are totally pleased with it. we went to an RV show last week, and i was telling my wife i didn't see anything new that i would trade my Solitude for.
Gsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2014, 12:03 PM   #8

How are they as far as build quality goes? They make a big deal about their workforce being made up of a lot of Amish craftsmen . I have seen ( not with Grand Designs , yet anyways ) where a company will make a big deal about having an Amish workforce but that work ethic/quality does not really show in the finished product. It seems that companies use this as just a marketing tool in some cases.
Old 10-21-2014, 08:28 PM   #9

Grand Design is really coming on as a major fifth wheel manufacturer. For now, they're sticking to their game plan and it's working. They delivered over 2000 units in their first 18 months in business.

They only have one dealer per city--and they're usually the leader of the pack. And that dealer sells all three models, and carries a decent inventory in most cases.

I would rate the quality of their trailers to be mid pack, however they're truly customer driven as a company. And they monitor just about all the RV Forums. The owners will often even answer questions online.

I ordered one of their Reflection 323BHS models with the SuperSofa option. That's a love seat/double wallhugger recliner with a right hand and left hand wallhugger recliner on each side. It's 12' of the most comfortable seating I've ever experienced. I'm thoroughly satisfied with my fifth wheel.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM   #10

I currently have a Cougar High Country fiver that we love, but thin, lightweight cabinetry is the biggest complaint. The same size Grand Design Reflections, their mid profile, light weight line weigh 1500-2000 lbs more in the same length which indicates a more solid build to me. We aren't ready to trade, but Grand Design has our attention.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #11

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim81147 View Post
How are they as far as build quality goes? They make a big deal about their workforce being made up of a lot of Amish craftsmen . I have seen ( not with Grand Designs , yet anyways ) where a company will make a big deal about having an Amish workforce but that work ethic/quality does not really show in the finished product. It seems that companies use this as just a marketing tool in some cases.
The deal about the Amish craftsmanship is a bunch of crap. All of the manufactures in that area employ the Amish and Mennonite because they are a large part of the population. They don't make anything, just install what the manufacturer has purchased to build the rv. Earlier this year I did a tour of 2 different manufactures, both had Amish and Mennonite workers using the same parts as the Non-Amish workers. JMO
mo5er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2014, 06:33 PM   #12

They have some of the most sensible floor plans out there. But they're like every other RV, they have their share of problems. Right now they have a good customer satisfaction record. We'll see how long that lasts. They could be like the rest in 3-4 years. At that point they've developed a reputation that will sustain sales even further that will carry them for several more years even if the level of customer satisfaction deteriorates.

Here's a good place to see what they're all about.
Grand Design Owner's Forum
Cumminsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:12 PM   #13

I looked at then and talked to the people at the factory. They are not rated below 28 degrees from what i am told. For me that aint even close to being enough. 0 degrees or better is what i look at. Just my opinion. Granted i have a newmar kountry aire. And have looked very throughly at an upgrade. Besides a custom new horizons there aint many others. If i was in a warm part of the country year around sure.
consolenut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 08:15 PM   #14

Excel Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Excel is guaranteed to -10 degress.
chief02 is offline   Reply With Quote