Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-10-2017, 07:49 AM   #57

I looked at the GD 376 too

We seriously looked at the GD 376 as well. I visited with the designers and did everything I could to get them to change the basement garage and extend it into the rear pass thru storage area to give you more length to accommodate kayaks and jet skis but could not get them to budge. That one change, that only required them cutting a hole thru a non weight bearing wall, would have given them another 3' of length and made a BIG difference in the unit. But alas the engineers had blinders on and think the only people who would buy the floorplan are Harley owners! They missed more than half their potential market!! BUT wait now Keystone has come out with a competing floorplan that has an additional 6" of length (you can thank me talking to their engineers and your welcome). The Keystone is 30K less than the GD and while its build quality isn't as good I would have to say there isn't 30K difference! Besides didn't GD get bought out by one of the big umbrellas?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-10-2017, 09:37 AM   #58

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdpm View Post
I would not buy one for the simple fact that they are using Lippert axles/bearings which I have heard to be very problematic. In addition, I can't believe they still don't offer the "quiet air" ducting a/c system that is becoming more and more common. Finally, in comparison to similar units like a Silver Creek CC, they are very over priced.
GD is now using Dexter axles, I don't know if it all lines and if they will continue to use them. Our Reflection that is on order is supposed to have the Dexter axles.

I know everybody has their own things they look at when looking an RV over but we went through some of the GD's that were on the dealers lot and felt they are built better than the average unit. This is not our first unit and we have over 45 year of RVing and have had many RVs (in fact to many, having had 3 at the same time and many times 2 at the same time).

Personally I'm glad it doesn't have the quiet air as I have heard that they are a lot harder to work on if you have problems. How do you tighten the 4 bolts that keep it sealed down to the foam seal or do they not have they anymore? We normally only run one A/C at time and it is in the other room from us. We find that we hardly ever use both A/Cs at the same time and we live in AR so we get plenty hot and humid here.

We normally travel further north in the summer to escape the heat. If is that hot out who wants to be out in it anyway.

In the shoulder seasons we travel more in southern areas. Try to go were the temps are more moderate.

In fact when we pickup our new unit it should be about the time we can head further south and maybe be on the southern coast as we head over to Quartzsite.

This is IMO

Butch

Old 09-10-2017, 09:41 AM   #59

Excel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mtlakejim View Post
We seriously looked at the GD 376 as well. I visited with the designers and did everything I could to get them to change the basement garage and extend it into the rear pass thru storage area to give you more length to accommodate kayaks and jet skis but could not get them to budge. That one change, that only required them cutting a hole thru a non weight bearing wall, would have given them another 3' of length and made a BIG difference in the unit. But alas the engineers had blinders on and think the only people who would buy the floorplan are Harley owners! They missed more than half their potential market!! BUT wait now Keystone has come out with a competing floorplan that has an additional 6" of length (you can thank me talking to their engineers and your welcome). The Keystone is 30K less than the GD and while its build quality isn't as good I would have to say there isn't 30K difference! Besides didn't GD get bought out by one of the big umbrellas?
Winnebago bought GD.
Old 09-10-2017, 10:19 AM   #60

Carolina Campers
Unfortunately there is no good source of statistically significant comparable data across the manufacturers. All we have is anecdotal data that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Lots of people out there that know someone, that has a cousin, that heard a story about...

Anyway. This is my first season in a Grand Design. I have about 4,000 miles on it with about 30 nights slept. So, it a relatively new 2017 unit. It is my third RV. Not perfect; I had the Lippert leaking seal issue on all four wheels.

I will say, Grand Design stood by me through that, the unit was quickly repaired, and I have had no other issues. I know it is still to early to say my unit will be relatively trouble free, but my opinion at this stage is that it is a well designed and well built unit. I'd buy the same thing again.

As an owner of a GD, I see no reason to avoid the choice of a GD product using build quality as a deciding factor.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:42 PM   #61

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpierrie View Post
Unfortunately there is no good source of statistically significant comparable data across the manufacturers. All we have is anecdotal data that has to be taken with a grain of salt. Lots of people out there that know someone, that has a cousin, that heard a story about...

Anyway. This is my first season in a Grand Design. I have about 4,000 miles on it with about 30 nights slept. So, it a relatively new 2017 unit. It is my third RV. Not perfect; I had the Lippert leaking seal issue on all four wheels.

I will say, Grand Design stood by me through that, the unit was quickly repaired, and I have had no other issues. I know it is still to early to say my unit will be relatively trouble free, but my opinion at this stage is that it is a well designed and well built unit. I'd buy the same thing again.

As an owner of a GD, I see no reason to avoid the choice of a GD product using build quality as a deciding factor.
Unloaded, are your axels flat and not arched? Is your underbelly enclosure sagging, overlapped, taped, cracks/tears filled with foam? Curious is all.
Old 09-12-2017, 05:33 PM   #62

Slightly Off Topic:

I've read this whole thread with interest, as I am in the market. Grand Designs is priced a bit too high for my budget, which is around $60k, but I did like what I saw online.

What is the opinion of Jayco, specifically the North Point line? Their 377RLBH model checks all my wishlist boxes.

Main use would be seasonal, every weekend pretty much, with fall and spring road trips.

Thanks, Todd
Old 09-12-2017, 06:00 PM   #63

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
Unloaded, are your axels flat and not arched? Is your underbelly enclosure sagging, overlapped, taped, cracks/tears filled with foam? Curious is all.
Our 2016 Momentum 350M doesn't have any of those issues. Finishing up second season and over 6000 miles and nearly 70 nights.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:28 AM   #64

Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by 45Auto View Post
Again, anecdotal data, sample of one; none of those issues thus far (actually, sample of 2 with the above response ). I will also add that I am not aware of data indicating this is a systemic issue. Not saying there are not others having problems, only sharing what I know first hand. I will also add that I am aware of certain GD models/years that have had known issues. This includes the seal issue I mentioned above on my model/year. Again, I haven't drunk any kool-aid, just my opinion, based on my first hand experience, that GD has made at least one reasonably built RV.
Old 09-13-2017, 06:56 AM   #65

We have a 2015 Reflection 5th wheel by grand design. Bought it new in 2015 and we have had very minor issues. I don't think there is one manufacturer out there that has a perfect unit. We are happy with our unit. Tj