Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2018, 12:45 PM   #1

Question Grand Design Reflection 150 Series 220RK

First a bit of background. I am retired and the 2 kids are out of the house. Current trailer is a 2001 Wanderer bunkhouse model. We don't need the extra length (30') so we are looking at a replacement. I first was hoping to get a Keystone 244RLSWE but they discontinued that model and added 2' in length on the replacement model.

Dealer just got the Grand Design units in and I am looking at the Reflection 220RK model that is just over 26.5' long and has the special king pin that rotates.

Question - is this a good brand? Is the rear kitchen going to be and issue bouncing stuff. They do have a big pantry over the axles.

Second is this king pin that swings all that they say about it?
Here is a link to it
https://www.lci1.com/turning-point#about
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks - Keith
YODA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-16-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by YODA View Post
First a bit of background. I am retired and the 2 kids are out of the house. Current trailer is a 2001 Wanderer bunkhouse model. We don't need the extra length (30') so we are looking at a replacement. I first was hoping to get a Keystone 244RLSWE but they discontinued that model and added 2' in length on the replacement model.

Dealer just got the Grand Design units in and I am looking at the Reflection 220RK model that is just over 26.5' long and has the special king pin that rotates.

Question - is this a good brand? Is the rear kitchen going to be and issue bouncing stuff. They do have a big pantry over the axles.

Second is this king pin that swings all that they say about it?
Here is a link to it
https://www.lci1.com/turning-point#about
Any thoughts would be appreciated

Thanks - Keith
Grand Design is a good brand from what I have seen. And i really like that model/floorplan.
The dealership I work for just starting getting those 150 series units a few months ago.
I like that hitch as well. I never was a fan of sliding hitches.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2018, 11:18 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Grand Design is one of the best as far as customer support after the sale. The quality is as good and or better than the majority of the RVs on the market. A lot of the RV makes use the same stuff from the same vendors.

The hitch will lock and act like a standard hitch so that gives you the option to try in both modes.

I had a GD Solitude and it was one of the RVs with least amount of problems.
CWSWine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 04:13 AM   #4

I'm not familiar with the Grand Designs, but the rear kitchen is a no issue, our last two have been rear kitchens and I wouldn't have any other setup. The extra storage and counter space can't be beat and the kitchen is out of the foot traffic area. The one we have now also has a pantry over the axles and we've had no issues with things bouncing around. We do take the normal precautions when loading: safety bars in the refrig, heavy stuff down low, unbreakable dinnerware, etc.
kgburns1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2018, 07:11 AM   #5

I have been looking and from what I have seen Grand Design makes a very nice rig. My owners I have talked too love theirs and say they have received excellent warranty supoort from GD. I really like the 220RK floor Plan and would pick that myself. I want to wait and look at the newerly redesigned RAM 1500 truck because it has many new features, air ride suspension and more than 12,000 lbs towing with the Deisel engine and 3.92 rear end. I really like the new safety features on it as well. Looks like a great truck for this new 150 Series GD. I just wish the GD came with an option for all electric appliances, Automatic retract awning, 200w solar, Never Adjust brakes and auto leveling. I'd like an electric cook top and Nova Kool or Whirlpool Residential refrigerator. More high end features!
Old 02-18-2018, 08:57 AM   #6

I have owned a GD 303RLS for about 18 months now and love it. Except for normal issues with a trailer I have had great results. The GD forum is also nice to communicate with owners and they have become by go to for most items. I spent about 1 year researching different 5th Wheels before I picked the GD. Though you will find people who have not had good luck. If you buy make sure your dealer checks the brake seals. That was an issue through 2017 and they will fix without charge. Mine was minor and the dealer took care of it and replaced the brake pads while I had it in for some minor warranty work.
Go Dawgs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:33 PM   #7

We had been looking at the GD Imagine 2600 but are now considering their smaller 5ers. Forest River Cherokee Artic Wolf is a similar sized unit that looks nice too.
kone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 08:04 PM   #8

Thanks folks appreciate the feedback
Old 02-24-2018, 04:21 PM   #9

Boss unit liked so we are going ahead with he purchase. I think I got a fair price both on the unit and my trade in
Old 03-02-2018, 02:34 AM   #10

Been shopping for 6 months and love Grand Design. The 220RK is the ONLY rig we would consider for what it has in a short rig. The 150 series is impressive. The 90 degree pin is a great idea.

We are going to go bigger, ourselves and are pretty sold on the GD Reflection 320MKS. But we have been in almost every Reflection model, quite a few Solitudes and a couple of Momentum’s. GD seems to really be a brand to go with.

All the best on your 220RK!
Trueman619m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2018, 12:56 PM   #11

Its home safe and sound, and pulls like a dream.
Old 03-03-2018, 12:32 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by YODA View Post
Its home safe and sound, and pulls like a dream.
Congratulations!
Trueman619m is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
momentum