Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-21-2016, 11:07 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Queen bed is not so bad. Mine came with a king but there was no room to make the bed or walk around. Tossed the king, trimmed platform, and installed a residential queen.
Ahh good to know!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-21-2016, 12:17 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer3801 View Post
The only issue I've had with the trailer so far is that the water heater doesn't seem to be working on electric, only propane. So now that I'm home, I need to get in to be fixed and it's nice feeling comfortable that it will be taken care of.
Go outside, remove water heater door and see if the switch on the heater is turned on. If it is off, only the LP will work. There are 2 switches for the elec to work, the one inside and the one on the heater it's self. Both must be on for it to work on elec.

Old 07-21-2016, 09:00 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post
Go outside, remove water heater door and see if the switch on the heater is turned on. If it is off, only the LP will work. There are 2 switches for the elec to work, the one inside and the one on the heater it's self. Both must be on for it to work on elec.
X2. The outside switch is in the bottom corner and is a safety to make sure you have water in the tank first (a reminder switch if you will) so you don't accidentally turn it on empty.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:06 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zac808 View Post
Queen bed is not so bad. Mine came with a king but there was no room to make the bed or walk around. Tossed the king, trimmed platform, and installed a residential queen.
Agreed. We originally were going to get a King too until we saw it on the showroom floor...hard to make the bed with a king (on the Momentum 350M at least IMHO) because you can't get all the way around it. So we opted to go with the one on order and got a queen installed. As long as you don't get the "short queen that sometimes comes in TT, you shouldn't have an issue.
Old 07-21-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
I am as new as they come to RVing, all your ideas make sense. I was looking at the 323BHS and the 357BHS. However, it seems that they have decided to stop making both of those units and are making a hybrid of the two. They inform me they will be rolling out the 311BHS in a few weeks. Has a full and half bath, and measures in around 36-37'. I think that might be the perfect fit for me. Only negatives I can see is the small shower and queen bed.

If you're talking about the radius shower as opposed to the residential shower, it's really not that bad. I'm a very broad shouldered 6' and tip the scales just shy of 300 pounds. While it doesn't give me enough room to stretch, I have plenty of room to turn and reach around to get everything clean.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlb27537 View Post

Well now. I was unaware of that. I will have to check that before I schedule an appointment. Thank you for the voice of experience.
Old 07-22-2016, 12:32 AM   #20

I've been a 323BHS owner for exactly 2 years. Tennessee RV had a production slot which allowed us to delete the dinette set and order the SuperSofa option. We also got the optional gas grill which swings around to the outside kitchen. We had the trailer in 3 weeks--and had to scrape to pay for it so quick.

We absolutely love the floorplan. My wife and I have completely different television schedules and I have my bunkhouse/man cave to watch my TV in. She has the front bedroom.

The SuperSofa is a wallhugger reclining love seat with right and left wallhugger recliners--12' of leather heaven. It comes with a solid surface table with folding legs to eat off of (that we never use.)

Given the choice of a second bath or half bath, I'd turn both down. #1 is that it's going to be costly and #2 it's just something else to take square footage away from the living room. I have enough to clean up without it.

Grand Design is just building fifth wheels and travel trailers, and they don't try to be everything to every RV'er. They're such a customer driven company that if someone makes a complaint online, very often the owners of the company will respond directly--and they'll give out their private cellphone numbers for the customer to call. They often send out parts to customers to install if a component is defective or doesn't work right. And when dealers' service turnaround times are unreasonable, they'll get mobile RV techs to make warranty repairs.

Oh, yea: Order the second a/c unit from the factory for the front bedroom. The bunkhouse a/c is so close to the rear a/c that it'll freeze you out at night.
Old 07-23-2016, 02:48 PM   #21
P5W

We love our Reflection going on 1 1/2 years now and well over 20,000 towing miles. A great company to deal with and, in our case at least, zero major issues requiring service time. A few minor tweaks I've taken care of myself along with a number of upgrades for personal preference.

I'm not usually much of a cheer leader guy but our 337RLS is our 6th RV and 3rd 5th wheel and by far the nicest we've ever had.

Good luck with your decision!
P5W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:49 AM   #22

Well, it is official. I placed an order for the GD Reflection 311BHS (the hybrid of the 357 and 323BHS). Should be here in a few weeks. Yes, I am nervous to be purchasing a brand new design from GD, but everyone has said how great their customer service is, I thought what the heck. Will keep you posted.
Old 07-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Well, it is official. I placed an order for the GD Reflection 311BHS (the hybrid of the 357 and 323BHS). Should be here in a few weeks. Yes, I am nervous to be purchasing a brand new design from GD, but everyone has said how great their customer service is, I thought what the heck. Will keep you posted.
That is awesome. Congrats.
Old 07-26-2016, 09:26 AM   #24

Congratulations on your decision!
Old 07-31-2016, 09:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer3801 View Post
You can get a six point auto level in the reflection. We have a six point auto level on our Reflection 323BHS that we purchased at the end of February. This is our first trailer (or any kind of rv for that matter) and I spent a considerable amount of time researching everything I could. While every brand had people complaining about things that were wrong with there trailer, Grand Design had by far the most people posting positive reviews about the trailer, or how it was so much better than their old trailer. When we went to go look at trailers, the Reflection looked good and had a solid feel to it. The other trailers in a similar price bracket didn't feel as good to me and the ones that did feel as good were considerably more expensive.

As it turns out, about the same time we bought our trailer, my friend bought almost the identical floor plan, but made by Jayco. When our families all went out camping together, we were able to compare our two trailers. What I liked about his was the frameless windows and the cabinets directly across from the door on the bulkhead included seat/coat rack area where you could hang jackets and throw shoes in the storage underneath the bench (mine has additional counter space and cabinets). On the other hand, he only has the four point leveling and you could tell the difference the extra two made, not a deal breaker, but you could tell. On his trailer, the control panel is just mounted on the side of the cabinet whereas mine is nicely hidden behind a cabinet door. I also like that there are no furnace vents on the floor in the main common area. It makes it easier to sweep. In the end, I would say that they are very comparable trailers, but he paid more for his. While I do like some things better about his trailer, it wouldn't be worth it to me with the trade offs and additional cost.

The other great thing about Grand Design, is they have built their reputation on customer service. You rarely get a perfect rv, but from what I've read, they are willing to put in the effort to get it there. I read numerous testimonials where the dealer wouldn't do the warranty repairs, but the company came through to correct the problem when contacted. There is a Grand Design Owner's forum. It is not run/maintained by Grand Design, but they do have employees regularly monitor and reply. They also assist people to get in touch with other people in the company who can help them with their problem more directly. The only issue I've had with the trailer so far is that the water heater doesn't seem to be working on electric, only propane. So now that I'm home, I need to get in to be fixed and it's nice feeling comfortable that it will be taken care of.

The reflection will have 4 to 6 Pt electric auto level depending on the stance of the model, while the Solitude line has 6 pt hydraulic auto level.
Old 08-02-2016, 07:51 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigattime View Post
Congratulations on your decision!
Yet another change. When the 311BHS arrived, I was not a fan of the finish. IMHO it missed the GD mark. To that end, decided to pursue the 348M (toy hauler) and utilize the garage as a bunkhouse. Will keep you guys posted and let you know when it arrives.
Old 08-02-2016, 06:05 PM   #27
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The ones we have seen are OK for the mid-line price points, but I have not seen anything special about them. They use Lippert frames and axles. There have been problems from Lippert for years.

Ken
Old 08-02-2016, 11:27 PM   #28

I haven't read about too many frame or axle problems in the last couple of years. I do know that in that price point you would be hard pressed to find companies that don't use lippertt. I have lippert 6 pt leveling on a 3 year old trailer and the same brand frame 20,000 no problems .

Tags
5th wheel