Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-09-2016, 03:20 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tillerman7 View Post
Wanted to see what the general opinion was of the Grand Design 5th wheel travel trailers might be. I know they are a newer company and thought I would ask if anyone has any experience with them. Any information would be great. Thanks.
Unlike everyone else in this thread we have had numerous issues. I will agree that the GD customer support is good however, it should be less necessary.......

issues:
picked up unit drove 96 miles to home on paved roads (1-70 and State hiway 91)
fireplace was in the middle of the floor along with one piece of trim. they completely missed the wood frame when attaching the fireplace. unacceptable one pull on it would have been QC enough.

4 or five trips to the RV center to finally get the furnace working..... 96 miles each way.

control unit on the refer died first trip. may have died again testing refer does not work on ac.

water transfer valve bypasses so it fills the fresh water tank to overflow. not fixed

now the water pump cycles on and off as long as it's powered. but because the water intake valve bypasses we can't use RV park water directly. so we are turning the pump on when we need water and immediately off when done.
I have ordered a new pump.

bottom line: when things work the unit is great.......for $47,000.00 they ought to work consistently.
George Benson

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-09-2016, 05:51 PM   #30

With the exception of the trim and fireplace falling out, the rest aren't Grand Designs fault. Unless they did something wrong on install. They obviously don't have any control over the fridges control unit, the valves or the furnace. Any brand can have an issue with those.

Old 08-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
With the exception of the trim and fireplace falling out, the rest aren't Grand Designs fault. Unless they did something wrong on install. They obviously don't have any control over the fridges control unit, the valves or the furnace. Any brand can have an issue with those.
I agree with you partially. I believe that it is the responsibility of the company producing what they market as a quality product to ensure they are using components that are of the marketed quality. I am a customer of GD not the furnace manufacturer and as that customer I put my trust in GD to provide me with a quality product in total. GD is the customer of the furnace manufacturer and it is GD's responsibility to ensure they receive appropriate components.
Having said this I will reiterate the GD support has been very good, the unit is very nice and generally high quality, and I fully expected an issue or two but not 6 to 10 a number of which were obvious. this many issues indicates there is a breakdown in their QC.
Old 08-10-2016, 10:07 AM   #32

Agree that GD should use better parts. But every MFG picks from the same limited parts supplies. You get either a Norcold or Dometic fridge. Atwood or Suburban furnace. I do blame GD for the Kantleak water valve they use. I've read nothing but bad things about it. It wouldn't matter what brand you bought, you'd still have a chance for problems with any of them.
JMO but if RV MFGs shopped around for the best parts them we'd be spending a lot more money for the same lousy construction. Even if they used the best electric fireplace, it wouldn't matter if they couldn't screw it in right.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:05 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
Agree that GD should use better parts. But every MFG picks from the same limited parts supplies. You get either a Norcold or Dometic fridge. Atwood or Suburban furnace. I do blame GD for the Kantleak water valve they use. I've read nothing but bad things about it. It wouldn't matter what brand you bought, you'd still have a chance for problems with any of them.
JMO but if RV MFGs shopped around for the best parts them we'd be spending a lot more money for the same lousy construction. Even if they used the best electric fireplace, it wouldn't matter if they couldn't screw it in right.

I believe they stopped using the Kantleak water valve and switched to Nautilus in 2015. That was one of the things I checked for when we bought our 2016.
Old 08-11-2016, 10:20 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer3801 View Post
I believe they stopped using the Kantleak water valve and switched to Nautilus in 2015. That was one of the things I checked for when we bought our 2016.
That's good to hear.

Tags
5th wheel