Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-03-2013, 05:59 PM   #1

Grand design solitude

Anyone have any experience with the grand design brand? Or the solitude in particular? We are interest Asa stationary full time unit

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #2

Brand new company, couple of ex-Keystone executives behind it, who sold out to Thor, became Thor executives and now started Grand Design. They were coy about it but it seems life at Thor with many brands poaching on each others market share was not to their liking. They must have serious money behind them to start with a 400,000 square feet facility. LazyDays is pushing their units hard and the dealers like the fact that they will not allow discounted internet sales so be prepared to pay TOP DOLLAR.
Probably on a Lippert frame with many Lippert components, but it's just my guess, couldn't find any specific info on that. If the unit is going to sit and you are not going to pull it a lot, it probably doesn't matter what frame it sits on.

hjs

Old 12-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #3

Appalachian Campers
Yes most of the parts are Lippert as 90% of all 5th wheels made today. I have noticed that price has gone up $10,000 from the time I bought mine. Their dealers network is small, hoping that will change overtime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjsdds View Post
Brand new company, couple of ex-Keystone executives behind it, who sold out to Thor, became Thor executives and now started Grand Design. They were coy about it but it seems life at Thor with many brands poaching on each others market share was not to their liking. They must have serious money behind them to start with a 400,000 square feet facility. LazyDays is pushing their units hard and the dealers like the fact that they will not allow discounted internet sales so be prepared to pay TOP DOLLAR.
Probably on a Lippert frame with many Lippert components, but it's just my guess, couldn't find any specific info on that. If the unit is going to sit and you are not going to pull it a lot, it probably doesn't matter what frame it sits on.

hjs
Old 12-09-2013, 06:00 PM   #4

I looked (just curiosity) at them at a Pa. dealer. I liked the entry steps. They seemed the best that I have seen. Also the rest of the rig should compete well. I am not sure where I would rank the newest 5ers like Columbus, Bayhill, Solitude or Flex. I have not looked at the frames. Is it 12" I-beam? Axles, are they 7,000lb. Tires are they not china bombs etc.

If you do not move it then those things really do not matter.

How is it rated for insulation? Look at the Columbus. I know it comes with heat pads on the holding tanks and at least the literature says it is well insulated.

Good luck
Old 12-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #5

Appalachian Campers
They have 10"I beams and t 7k axles and the tires are Westlake ST tires made in China as are 99% are..
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
I looked (just curiosity) at them at a Pa. dealer. I liked the entry steps. They seemed the best that I have seen. Also the rest of the rig should compete well. I am not sure where I would rank the newest 5ers like Columbus, Bayhill, Solitude or Flex. I have not looked at the frames. Is it 12" I-beam? Axles, are they 7,000lb. Tires are they not china bombs etc.

If you do not move it then those things really do not matter.

How is it rated for insulation? Look at the Columbus. I know it comes with heat pads on the holding tanks and at least the literature says it is well insulated.

Good luck
Old 02-25-2014, 07:06 PM   #6

I have owned a Solitude for a year now. Am very pleased with the unit. Had a couple of minor issues under warranty were taken care of immediately. Went over 5000 miles last year. I really am pleased with my Solitude.
Old 07-28-2014, 02:15 AM   #7

I too have a Solitude and am totally pleased with it. I've had it almost a year and a half, with over 7000 miles.. I do know one thing, you won't find a better customer service to work with than Grand Design.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:09 AM   #8

I have a Grand Design Reflection on order, and expecting delivery the next week or two.

Grand Design is the fastest growing company in the RV world, with over 2000 units sold in their first 18 months in business. They've just got the one brand, and they're just dealing with one dealer in each retail market. And those dealers are often the best dealers in town.

They're not trying to compete in every market segment, and are sticking to only fifth wheels for now. Some of Grand Design's biggest sellers can be towed by a 3/4 ton truck, and are not mega heavy. They're also coming in with a model that can be towed with a heavy 1/2 ton truck.

So far, Grand Designs appear to be more customer driven than any other RV company. And the company watches their owner's forum religiously. If someone has a serious problem, upper management doesn't hesitate to give out their direct phone numbers and ask you to personally contact them.

So far, they're handling expansion of their business okay, but logistics of assembling so many units must be difficult. They're going to be a major force in the market in the future, however.