Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-31-2016, 11:47 PM   #15

Just makes the trl look nicer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2016, 11:52 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayC View Post
The Bighorn is rated and warranted for full time use, the Grand Design, "extended stay". That should tell you something about the build quality.
Interested in both, but not sure what you mean-- Are you saying the Bighorn will hold together better traveling and the Grand Design needs to stay put?
Not sure what you guys mean on extended stay fifth wheels compared to full time use?

Old 06-01-2016, 09:14 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
Give a factual reason for less delam. I say it gives more not less cause for delam as the roof joint is clear on top instead of on the edge of the roof.
All the penetrations in the rear like a window or lights can leak. On a fiberglass rear cap if they leak the cap won't delam. Also if the factory goofs up and there's a glue or bonding malfunction then the rear can delam.
You have two edges that can leak because you have caulking on both sides of the corners on a rear cap. With a fiberglass cap you have a thicker caulk joint on only one edge.
And yes it does make them look nicer. Flat caps are on all the lower end priced units. Fiberglass caps are on all the higher end priced units.
What's wrong with wanting to have your RV look nice?
Old 06-01-2016, 10:07 AM   #18

Grand Design Solitude vs Big Horn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Mac01 View Post
Interested in both, but not sure what you mean-- Are you saying the Bighorn will hold together better traveling and the Grand Design needs to stay put?
Not sure what you guys mean on extended stay fifth wheels compared to full time use?
Ok, Google was my friend.
Funny that in my mind, "extended stay" correlated to the red necks in my area that when a trailer was no longer mobile, they tractored it to a spot in the woods or edge of a pasture where it remained for extended stay. LOL

Opposite of what "extended stay" is in the RV world
Old 06-02-2016, 01:46 PM   #19

Evergreen Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumminsfan View Post
All the penetrations in the rear like a window or lights can leak. On a fiberglass rear cap if they leak the cap won't delam. Also if the factory goofs up and there's a glue or bonding malfunction then the rear can delam.
You have two edges that can leak because you have caulking on both sides of the corners on a rear cap. With a fiberglass cap you have a thicker caulk joint on only one edge.
And yes it does make them look nicer. Flat caps are on all the lower end priced units. Fiberglass caps are on all the higher end priced units.
What's wrong with wanting to have your RV look nice?
DuH!!!! You have three edges on the rear cap that can leak just the same as a standard rear wall. Same thing holds true on the front caps. You have a top joint and two side joints, all of which can leak!

And pardon me but I have seen a lot of cheapo trailers with the fancy rear cap! Rear fiberglass caps do NOT make for a higher quality trailer!
Old 06-02-2016, 04:57 PM   #20

Show me a pic of one bottem line trailer with a cap on the rear cause l must be missing them. The cap has zero to do with build quality , it just looks nice. EOS.
Old 06-02-2016, 08:40 PM   #21

After searching Heartland Bighorn specs it appears that the roof has aluminum trusses. Yes, the roof is insulated with block "styrofoam" type material and the ductwork is integrated within this material. I have a Big Country that is constructed the same and I can tell you that I have owned several different brands and this one is the best insulation of all. I like the ductwork integrated into the block foam. The rear cap looks nicer and supposedly serves as an aerodynamic type rear. Mine has the rear cap but I understand that the new Big Country rigs don't have them anymore due to cost and a desire to distinguish them from the more expensive Big Horn and Landmark 365 units.
WagonMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 09:01 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by schrod View Post
DuH!!!! You have three edges on the rear cap that can leak just the same as a standard rear wall. Same thing holds true on the front caps. You have a top joint and two side joints, all of which can leak!

And pardon me but I have seen a lot of cheapo trailers with the fancy rear cap! Rear fiberglass caps do NOT make for a higher quality trailer!
You're not getting the edge point. A bonded rear panel has a metal trim piece that runs the vertical length of the side at the corner. Water can enter that trim piece from the rear or from the side. That's two sides. A rear fiberglass cap only has one entry area and that's on the side, not the rear. Same as the front cap. The fiberglass cap wraps around the sidewalls and only needs one caulk joint to prevent leaks.
A bonded rear wall needs caulk joints on both the rear portion and the side portion.
The top of both are pretty much the same. Some Eternabond on the top would seal that forever.
You also won't get delam from a water leak around the window or rear light penetrations.
You also don't have the risk of a poor bonding process causing bubbles.
Say what you want but besides looking nicer a fiberglass rear cap also provides a better water deterrent.
Old 06-12-2016, 11:20 PM   #23

Can't speak to the Grand Design roof trusses but I saw the metal floor beams myself today. I haven't looked at the Bighorn or Landmark units yet but was impressed with the build quality of the Grand Design compared to a lot of the 5ers I have looked at before.
Old 06-13-2016, 07:25 PM   #24

After evergreen rv shut there doors I was worried about considering a grand design. But after read this and other threads my confidence in GD has risen greatly. Thank you all for your comments.
Airmech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 08:40 PM   #25

Grand design has aluminum side walls, but purposefully uses wood roof truses. You can read more about this decision on their website, but here is their quote..."Residential style wood trusses, spaced 16 on center, provide the foundation for a full walk on roof. Wood framing provides better screw retention than traditional aluminum trusses, and it eliminates the metal on metal connection to the aluminum framed sidewalls. Wood also has better insulative values to help keep you comfortable." So says GD. We are impressed so far with our Grand Design Momentum, but I'm sure there are pros and cons to all units.