Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2011, 08:05 PM   #1

Grand Junction by Dutchmen vs. Lexion by Starcraft?

Hi all! I'm new here, so I hope this is the right place to ask for opinions on fifth-wheel brands! We're buying a new 5th wheel this weekend. We've been looking for several months now. We're somewhat limited, due to few RV dealerships in our area. We're torn between two models and would love any input from you all! We're either getting a 2010 Starcraft Lexion (355RESA) 38' in length, and it's actually MADE by Jayco (Initially were hesitant about Starcraft brand for a fiver until I heard it was bought by Jayco. Loved the quality of our old Jayco!) And the other option is a 2010 Grand Junction by Dutchmen, again 38'. They're both lovely and seem really comfortable. Actually, the king bed in the Grand Junction is even more comfy than the one in the Lexion! Both seem like really nice fivers. However, there's a lot more to it than just the "looks" and we want to keep this RV a while... I did buy the RV consumer guide you guys often mention here. Seems like Dutchmen doesn't get great reviews. Starcraft so-so reviews, and Jayco pretty good reviews. Would love to know if anyone has experience with either of these models we're looking at purchasing. Thanks for any advice!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2011, 08:20 PM   #2
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
If its quality and keeping it a long time, look at how the draws are made how they finished the basement and how it feels and looks inside the king bed sounds like a plus if you have a king at home going to a queen from a king is hard to get used to. Another thing is how big are the tanks if you plan any boon docking you need bigger tanks and a generator makes it nice too.

But it really comes down to which floor plan you like best and which fits your needs and has the best living space for the long haul and maybe for several weeks on the road in comfort. We only have a bedroom slide in the toy hauler but gave up the extra slide so we could haul the bike in the garage we have spent 3 weeks in it at a time several times and love it. No matter which you get you will make it home as long as it meets your needs so look at them from the idea as a home not a RV.

Have fun

Old 06-24-2011, 08:35 PM   #3

Thanks Jim! Great advice! I should also mention in this post that I guess our 3rd choice is a Big Country, but it's a bit more in price. Once you sit on the heavenly mattress in a Big Country, it feels like your "settling" on any other bed/RV! I'd love to hear from Big Country owners, too! Should probably stay in the price range of the Lexion/Grand Junction, though!
Old 06-24-2011, 08:38 PM   #4
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
Remember RVs tend to sit around right now. Make them a offer all they can say is no you know your limit they don't.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:25 AM   #5

We have a 2010 Grand Junction 345RE. I would not buy it again. There is no support under the middle of that nice bed (least in ours). I have a long email that I recently wrote to Dutchmen that I will share with you if you PM your email to me.
Old 06-25-2011, 08:14 AM   #6

jawildman, thanks so much! This is really valuable info. for me, as it's a lot of money! In fact, my husband was just on his way to look at the Grand Junction again this morning. I guess all the comforts, and extras "get you", but then if it doesn't function well, what's the use of all the bells and whistles, uh? I'm not sure how to do private messaging here, but I'd love for you to send me your letter! Thank you again! *Sorry you're having problems with your grand junction. I hope you get it all resolved!
Old 06-25-2011, 11:04 AM   #7

Just send your email to jim.wildman@gmail.com and I'll reply. My message to dutchman is rather long.
Old 06-25-2011, 11:36 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Without any intent of starting a brand war, we've owned 3 Jaycos. I would do some SERIOUS research before I bought a Dutchmen product if I were you - in fact, I personally wouldn't consider one based on what I've seen firsthand.

JMHO....

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 12:41 PM   #9

Rusty, we love Jayco's too! Just can't find any in our area. The Lexion by Starcraft comes with a Jayco warranty and all the paperwork is listed as Jayco, since they bought Starcraft last year. Just wondering if the Starcraft will have the same great Jayco quality... Weird how no one really seems to know much about Lexion by Starcraft. It seems like a really nice RV but has been sitting there almost a year. Sales reps say it's because it came in late in the year and people then just bought 2011s... It's gorgeous -- we just want to make sure we're getting a quality product!
Old 06-26-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by boymom View Post
The Lexion by Starcraft comes with a Jayco warranty and all the paperwork is listed as Jayco, since they bought Starcraft last year.
If memory serves, Jayco has owned Starcraft for quite awhile now. Their purchase of Starcraft wasn't anything recent.

Rusty
2014.5 DRV Mobile Suites 38RSSA #6972
Come join us on a TEXAS BOOMERS rally!
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:53 AM   #11

Hi Boymom.

I'm new to the forum, but I thought I would add a few comments about Grand Junction. I bought a new Grand Junction, 34TRG in 2007. This rig is 38'6" long, rear kitchen and was fully decked out with every option offered at the time. When I went up to Indiana to have a floor issue resolved, I purchased an IS system with disk brakes from Moryde. The rig floats behind my truck with this system and the disk brakes are awesome!

Here are some of my observations on the differences between what Grand Junction was offering in 2007 and now.

1. Grand Junction did away with the Moryde Pin box and RE suspension system.
2. Did away with the soft touch ceiling.
3. The front of the rig was changed to a bulbous type nose, which I find ugly.

Overall, the company seems to have done away with the features/options that I found to make this rig a "Best Buy" at the time I bought it. I can't say that about the current Grand Junctions.

This comment is not exclusive to the Grand Junction series. My wife and I have looked at other brands of 5th wheels, to include Jayco and Bighorn. Bottom line, we would have to pay much more to get the features we now enjoy with our '07, so we are going to add a Rieco Titan Ground Control leveling system, upgrade the tv to a flat screen and buy a better stereo system.

Would I buy another Grand Junction? No. If we decide to buy a new rig in the future, it would probably be a Nu Wa or Cameo.

Just my thoughts.

Jim

PS., If you can find a used one, take a look at the Grand Junctions from the years 2007 to 2009. I think the company changed hands in 2010, which is why the changes were made. I think you'll find the quality was better during those years than now. Again, just my opinion.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:15 PM   #12

Thanks, Jim. I appreciate the info. Glad you're liking your Grand Junction!
Old 10-31-2011, 09:28 AM   #13

We like our 2011 Grand Junction 340RL

We were going to go with a third Montana until my wife saw the walk in closet and large refrigerator in the Grand Junction. Other than normal "new rig" issues, we are quite happy with our choice. One big drawback is the fact that a window awning won't fit on the desk window at the rear of the street side slide. Oh well; can't have everything.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:06 PM   #14

Some Grand Junction background. Grand Junction model was originally a luxury model for Colorado 5ers, made by Dutchmen, beginning in 2005 model-year. The connection to Colorado was dropped in 07 and GJ became a stand-alone model. This continued to present-day.
Beginning with the 2010 model-year Dutchmen began building the "Affinity" model 5er, which seems to be another luxury Dutchmen-built 5er.
You really do get what you pay for, and we like our 05, 35TMS, GJ every bit as much as when we purchased it in April 05. We do not full-time, even though many GJ owners do full-time. I have not read of any major issues with GJ 5ers. The Dutchmen factory service center is very accommodating and capable of performing the most complicated repairs imaginable. While we were there for a cracked sidewall repair (rough road), which was repaired very well, we watched the service technicians replacing an entire sidewall on a toy hauler (water damaged).

Jim Wildeman, if you want to contact the factory service center directly, email dbeer@dutchmen.com. Dan Beer is the service center manager, and is always eager to please an owner. BTW, the service center has 50A(electric only) parking spaces outside the building for customers.

rwlyman, I almost missed you are a new memberhope you both enjoy your GJ as much as my wife and I do ours. We have about 50,000 miles on ours now.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote