Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-18-2013, 11:41 AM   #1

Gray Tank Falling Off 7 Month Old Sunnybrook

We bought a New 2012 Sunnybrook Mobile Scout last November. Two weeks ago we notice water under the rig and the insulation/flooring hanging down. Turns out the gray tank for the kitchen sink has become disconnected.

Called Sunnybrook and they say they won't cover it under warranty because we've obviously overfilled the tank...WTH???? How can they even think that? If you're washing dishes and the tank gets full, the sink won't drain, so you go out and drain it. We've NEVER towed it with tanks full, but aren't you supposed to be able to fill your fresh tanks before you take off on a trip???

I can't believe they are trying to get out of covering this, on a unit that isn't even a year old.

Anyone else have any experience with tanks falling off brand new 5th wheels, or problems with Sunnybrook warranty dept????

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2013, 11:49 AM   #2

Wow, can't believe they'd let someone so inexperienced man the phone. Call back, get some else you'd probably get a different answer. If you don't, ask for a supervisor. If that doesn't work, let them know you'll be calling the State Attorney General in their state. Then do so.

I've heard of tanks breaking loose but usually on older rigs when the strap breaks. Sorry.

Visit my RV Travel & Repair Blog at : http://chaos.goblinbox.com
Jim_HiTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2013, 01:59 PM   #3

Don't take no for an answer. If the tank is falling down, there is an obvious problem with how it was mounted. Ask them also how you can overfill a tank and what the indicator is that the tank is over filled. I would not just roll over on this one.
Old 07-18-2013, 02:28 PM   #4

Thank you for validating what I knew, I really appreciate it. I'm waiting for a call back from the Warranty Manager, I left him a voice mail this morning.

I'll let you know how this turns out. In the meantime I've told the RV repairman to order the tank, since he expects it to take about 10 days to get here.
Old 07-18-2013, 03:28 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We had a fresh tank with a crack in it, on a new 5er. This was on a Nu-wa, they fixed it. Had to order new tank, this was about 10 years ago. They had no problem fixing everything we found on that unit. Thor fixed our warranty issues, on the Infinity, and even replaced the entire 5er last year. I don't think they would deny a legitimate claim, must be the person on the phone is having a bad day. Best of luck with this.
JudyH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #6

I had to reinforce my grey tank supports before it would fall. My unit has imperial gallon capacity tanks thus 20% heavier on standard support. So did not bother going to dealer because they can only repair broken parts. I prefer improve things.

My neighbour had a screw driven in the fresh water at assembly so he had local body shop weld it. It was cheaper then towing the unit 100 miles and he knew it was done right.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #7

I'm not sure caissiel why your tanks would be any different than any other Hartland product, I don't think that they build in Canada so tank capacity should be the same regardless of where it was purchased.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:26 PM   #8

Sunnybrook used to be the very finest rigs on the market.

I was wondering what would happen after Winnebago acquired Sunnybrook. Now I know. It was just a matter of time before Winnebago brought Sunnybrook down to their level.

Winnebago is about to try to give you a royal Winnebago screwing if you let them. Don't allow them get away with this shamefull, shabby treatment!!
Old 07-19-2013, 10:44 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
That seems to be the standard (low) when it comes to the installation and use of holding tanks. We had the same thing happen. Our TT was 3 months old and I noticed a 7" sag in the underbelly. I looked and the strap was loose. When Heartland fixed it i asked the guys to place a sheet of 1/2" plywood across the bottom to help support the obvious sag that would again occur with no center support.

As this topic was discussed several were told that the metal straps are set loos so they can support the tank when it is full. Also most builders recommended never driving with your tanks full. That's funny. I wonder if a car manufacturer ever told a buyer to never fill the gas tank completely because it might sag and fall out the bottom. You have to understand that's how the TT manufacturers get by with building on the cheap.

You buy a 7,000# TT and you'll have axles rated at somewhere around 6,000# to maybe 6,500#. The tires will just barely support the maximum load that the TT is supposed to carry. There is very little room for error.
Almost no TT will have shock absorbers and if they do they are not mounted correctly.

We've had 3 TT and they were all designed about the same, cheap.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 07-20-2013, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamestra View Post
I'm not sure caissiel why your tanks would be any different than any other Hartland product, I don't think that they build in Canada so tank capacity should be the same regardless of where it was purchased.
They are clearly stamped in imperial gallons. Its noted tanks are 45 galllons the same as us specs and on mine they are same gallons but in imperial.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

"Sunnybrook used to be the very finest rigs on the market".....

If that's really the case, what happened to all of the others that are hands down finer rigs than the SunnyBrook ? IMO, they might have been good within their price point range, but to say they are the very finest rig on the market is a bit of a stretch.

Dec 29, 2010 - Winnebago Completes SunnyBrook Purchase

Regards
Gemstone
Old 07-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #12

AND! You should be able to tow the 5r with a full grey tank. I routinely stay at a dry camp out near death valley and there is no place to dump. I tow home with full tanks 150 miles. It should be built strong enough to do this.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:27 PM   #13

"Overfilled"? It is impossible to overfill a water tank; once it is filled that's it_can't add more to overfill. If you add water when it's full it comes up in the sink, shower or wash-basin. Time to contact the home office of your mfgr. and ask some pointed questions; NOW before the warranty expires. I have little tolerance for incompetence when someone is supposed to know their job.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 01:35 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
That seems to be the standard (low) when it comes to the installation and use of holding tanks. We had the same thing happen. Our TT was 3 months old and I noticed a 7" sag in the underbelly. I looked and the strap was loose. When Heartland fixed it i asked the guys to place a sheet of 1/2" plywood across the bottom to help support the obvious sag that would again occur with no center support.

As this topic was discussed several were told that the metal straps are set loos so they can support the tank when it is full. Also most builders recommended never driving with your tanks full. That's funny. I wonder if a car manufacturer ever told a buyer to never fill the gas tank completely because it might sag and fall out the bottom. You have to understand that's how the TT manufacturers get by with building on the cheap.

You buy a 7,000# TT and you'll have axles rated at somewhere around 6,000# to maybe 6,500#. The tires will just barely support the maximum load that the TT is supposed to carry. There is very little room for error.
Almost no TT will have shock absorbers and if they do they are not mounted correctly.

We've had 3 TT and they were all designed about the same, cheap.

JM2CW
TeJay
If most builders recommended not towing with full tanks then why does the weight sticker which a federally mandated sticker give the weight for a full tank of fresh water as part of the payload capacity? IMO it's just shoddy workmanship.

Tags
tank