Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > TRAVEL TRAILER, 5th WHEEL & TRUCK CAMPER FORUMS > 5th Wheel Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-18-2011, 01:58 PM   #1

Great auction win

We just purchased our first fifth wheel. Won it on EBay auction. 1989 Coachman Classic 36ft. We drove 1040 miles to Maine to pick it up, so we took our first vacation in it. I took a lot of cleaning supplies & we bought a new mattress when we got there. It was in great shape & very clean so that helped a lot. We went to Bar Harbor, Maine & spent 3 nights. It was great. You really need longer but we chocked our time there full as possible. We had a few mishaps on the way home put a dew dents in the cab of our dual cab dodge ram 2500, 2010 model which broke hubby's heart but it's repairable. I have so many plans. I am disabled & this has given me a new lease on life. Any suggestions will be appreciated. We had to sell our other camper & boat when I became disabled. See you on the road.
24therode is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-18-2011, 02:15 PM   #2

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24therode View Post
We had a few mishaps on the way home put a dew dents in the cab of our dual cab dodge ram 2500, 2010 model which broke hubby's heart but it's repairable.
Let me guess - you have a short bed truck and don't have a sliding 5th wheel hitch. If so, if I were you, I'd invest in a sliding hitch before your next trip.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Congratulations 24therode (good screen name, took me a couple of secs to decipher) I hope you continue to enjoy your 5er. It appears that you have a good start.
Dadeaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 02:46 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Congratulations, now enjoy it.
JOMARFL (FMCA 401058) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2011, 07:59 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC

Let me guess - you have a short bed truck and don't have a sliding 5th wheel hitch. If so, if I were you, I'd invest in a sliding hitch before your next trip.

Rusty
Hi Rusty
First long run and my Husband forgot to release the sliding hitch while I was registering for our camp site. Won't do that again.
24therode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

Texas Boomers Club
If you can help it try not to jack your trailer around 90 degrees. If you do it again just watch what happens to your tires. Many of us have short beds and sliders but have never used them. I don't even know if mine still works lol.. But with a little extra observation and planning you can avoid having the trailer pivot on the tires. Our tires take enough abuse without torqueing them and twisting them. JMHO
steelpony555 is offline   Reply With Quote